TDEE, BMR??? SOS!!!

Options
I accidently posted this in the wrong topic section, so I'm posting it again here. Oops! :embarassed:
Okay fellow MFP users, I'm stuck. I've hit a plateau full on and have been on here trying to find a thread that would explain what I maybe doing wrong. I came across a very well written and informative thread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) and took the OP's advice and found my TDEE and BMR numbers.
I went to fitness frog since a lot of ppl on here seem to use it and this is what I got.
My TDEE (with light exercise 1 to 3 times/wk) is 1949
My TDEE (with mod exercise 3 to 5 times/wk) is 2197
My BMR is 1418.
I am 5'3" and 140lbs. Body fat 31% (it's TOM though). I currently eat at 1430 calories per day because that's what MFP set up for me. I usually exercise (Jillian Michael 30ds) 3 to 5 times a wk. Not much more than that because I have a 3 yr old and a full time job that sorta take up a lot of my free time. lol!
Now I'll admit, I have been slightly overwhelmed with info overload trying to figure out what I can do. I'm really wanting to focus more on lowering my body fat% than losing the weight.
Any suggestions would be appreciated ever so much!!

Replies

• GabsMommy28
    GabsMommy28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • bthayes0
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me about what all of the acronyms mean on here: TDEE, BMR, etc? I also haven't quite grasped the concept of net calories as compared to just calories. Explanations would be great for a newbie like me. Thanks.
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me about what all of the acronyms mean on here: TDEE, BMR, etc? I also haven't quite grasped the concept of net calories as compared to just calories. Explanations would be great for a newbie like me. Thanks.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate (How many calories you require daily if you were completely sedentary)
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (How many calories you require daily based on your activities and lifestyle)
    BMI = Body Mass Index (An estimated measure of body fat based on height, weight, and sex)
    Calories = The calories you consume in a day
    Net Calories = The calories you consume in a day MINUS the calories you have expended through exercise

Hope that helps! :)
  • bthayes0
    Options
    Thanks so much. It does help just knowing what people mean when they use the acronyms. One more question though. As you lose weight on MFP, does it automatically lower your allowable calories for the day based on your weight or do you have to periodically go in and reset your goals based on current data? Again, thanks so much.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    BMR and RMR are often times confused.

BMR is the amount of calories you burn during sleep or in a coma. RMR is the amount of calories you burn at rest while awake.
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    I use the formula, 370 + (weight in kg x 21.6) to estimate BMR since you know your lean body mass and you are not that overweight. That gives you 1318.

With an activity factor of 1.33, you have 1753; with an activity factor of 1.55, it's 2042.

If you wish to lose 1 lb of body weight per week, then you need a deficit sum of 500 calories per day. You can establish this deficit many ways depending on your preference. For example you can have a calorie restriction deficit of 300 and engage in 200 calories worth of exercise. This example would then lead you to a gross caloric intake of 1453 and 1742 using the above estimates.
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Options
    I use the formula, 370 + (weight in kg x 21.6) to estimate BMR since you know your lean body mass and you are not that overweight. That gives you 1318.

With an activity factor of 1.33, you have 1753; with an activity factor of 1.55, it's 2042.

If you wish to lose 1 lb of body weight per week, then you need a deficit sum of 500 calories per day. You can establish this deficit many ways depending on your preference. For example you can have a calorie restriction deficit of 300 and engage in 200 calories worth of exercise. This example would then lead you to a gross caloric intake of 1453 and 1742 using the above estimates.

Thanks! I'm currently at 1420 calorie limit now. I'm going to stick with MFP's suggested numbers. I've lost a few lbs and several inches doing that, so it maybe a little slower than some other ppl's results, but I'm getting there. :smile:
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    That's awesome news :wink:

I'm also glad you are focusing on body composition and not weight. Just keep in mind that efforts in cutting body fat should not continue for too long as dieting reduces Resting Metabolic Rate which leads to slower true fat loss. Whenever I cut, I do so for no longer than 12 weeks at a moderate deficit. After, I slowly increase calories to what would be my current TDEE and hold for a few weeks to allow for metabolic and hormonal functioning to once again reach optimal levels. Then, and only then, should you attempt another 12 weeks of cutting. Once you obtain your desired body fat percentage goal, repeat to reach maintenance and enjoy your sexy self :drinker:
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    BMR and RMR are often times confused.

BMR is the amount of calories you burn during sleep or in a coma. RMR is the amount of calories you burn at rest while awake.

Thanks for that clarification... had never heard of RMR before!
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay, hopefully someone can help me too. I keep seeing TDEE and BMR. I've got the acronyms thanks to this thread, I've done calculations based on this (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) website, and I've seen several explanations in the forums. I DON'T GET IT!

I get how MFP calculates weight loss based on calorie intake. Can someone explain like I'm 5 years old the TDEE thing?