5 mile run tomorrow

Options
Running a neighborhood 5 mile race tomorrow hope to finish it this time. I ran it a few years (and 20 pounds) ago and I couldn't do the entire race running. I'm shooting for an hour. Has anyone done one of these recently let me know your experience and any tips especially how to conquer the killer hill. Thanks

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd just walk the hill unless you've trained and know you can power up it no problem. It only takes an extra minute or two to walk the hill instead of running it, and if you walk it you'll be fresh to put the pedal down and add some speed when you get to the top. If you force yourself to run it, it will tax you and slow you down for the next mile -- you will likely end up with a slower overall time than if you'd just walked it.

Also I recommend starting out at a moderate pace. You can speed up for the last half or so if you are feeling great. Physically and psychologically it's much less taxing to start out moderate then speed up versus starting out too fast and petering out.

Have fun!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You can do a shuffle up hill. Short, choppy steps, head down, swing your arms right at about the wait. You can also walk it if you feel your heart and lungs working overtime. I see people do it all the time and finish well.

Good luck and have fun! Oh, don't go busting out following the crowd's pace. Run your run from start to finish. Sometimes when the gun goes off I find myself running at a pace faster than I like because the people around me are faster. I have to remind myself that this is not my pace and slow down. :)
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies. Was able to do entire 5 running wish time was better (62 min) will shoot for under an hour next time.