I'm so useless :(

Options
13»

Replies

• apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I think the fact that you had TWO chocolate bunnies even make it this far since Easter needs to be applauded, I'd have had those things finished before the Easter Bunny had finished his rounds!

Don't beat yourself up about it, you had willpower not to eat them for months, that's gotta count for something.

lol I'm not a huge chocolate person but of it's Lindt... I'm crash tackling the easter bunny on the lawn and eating his stash! So yeah. To let them last this long is awesome!
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm sharing your pain atm - I had been going so well but today was my folks 40th wedding anniversary party & we had lunch at an all-you-can eat restaurant. Just bad news for me - there healthy options, plenty of salads etc but I just don't seem to have the willpower to resist all the yummy battered Chinese food & amazing desserts!!!!! It's not an easy road but I try & remind myself that this is a gradual lifestyle change & one or two blowouts along the way does not make a bad person or useless - it's just being human really. I'm going to pray right now that you can climb over this wall quickly & keep on going. x
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I had a really bad day yesterday too. Grandma baked cookies and brought lots of candy home, like she does whenever my cousin visits. I actually didn't feel bad about eating the stuff because I know I haven't had any of that in a while. I know that I've eaten worse and have it not show up on the scale, I ate a whole Lindt bunny last Easter too and I don't remember having a big gain that week either. So it really depends on how you react to the situation. You learn so much about yourself in the process it's ridiculous. I used to look at myself as useless but after losing 60ish pounds, I realized that I had accomplished so much. I know you can do it too. Chin up, dearie. :)
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Heyy dont be so hard on yourself...!!!!! Its okay..its not the end of the word..just a little bump.... You can make it up for it!!!! Why not drink some hot water or even better some green tea wd lemon (no sugar, milk).

Take a walk....

Sometimes its hard to fight your cravings..its okay... it happens to each one of us!!!! Just tell yourself you wanted to eat that and so you did! Now you dont have it eat for a long time! you're done with it!!! And move on!!

N believe me i Know how it feels!!!! *hugs* :flowerforyou:
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    .................just dont stop

eventually the weight will come off...........stand strong
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Awww, it will be ok. Tomorrow will be better.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Oh hun, one bunny isnt even the worst you could do. Ive literally eaten a family size bag of doritoes and three cans of bean dip. Just let it roll off your back and keep going :)
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Can you learn from this to make sure it doesn't happen again?

is this something you can just not buy again? Or can you (when you are full and not hungry/snacking) divide up your chocolate into reasonable size portions so if you are mindlessly eating, you won't eat yourself into such a story state that you want to cry and feel useless?

It's easy to eat so many empty calories with the mindless eating, but you can control that before the grazing begins by setting up portions. Try to treat this as a lesson to come up with a strategy to prevent this from happening again and be ready for a new day. I would still probably have dinner since you didn't exactly get much in the way of nutrients in that chocolate. Just work extra hard this week to eat healthy foods and not empty calories for you daily goals.

You've beaten yourself up already, so it's time to get over it and move forward. Don't wallow on what you did - think positively about what you can do now to get back on track.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What you expect, each day to be rainbow and unicorns? Some days are hard. 65g of fat isn't even that bad. You think fat makes you fat or something? That's not true.

I wrote on my profile today about motivation. It's relevant to this topic.

"My view on motivation and weight loss is you really don't need motivation. Sometimes we don't want to go to the gym or eat right. You just have to do it. I argued with myself for 30mins last week about going to the gym, I did go that time. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, but we don't stop."

Tings that happen on bad days are,

binging
    no results for a while
    going over your calories
    not sticking your plan.
    Missing workouts
    etc...

I have been through all of them. I have had bad days, bad weeks, even bad months. Why? Sure i felt hopeless sometimes, I have wondered "what's the point?" i have wondered, "Will i ever reach my goal?' Yet I still lost over 100lbs. I just didn't stop.

^^ this. Don't kill yourself over it. But learn from it. You think a chocolate bunny is bad? How about polishing off a container of nutella in... i dunno... a day. That *kitten* is like 300 cal a tbsp or something. I don't remember but I do remember feeling like I just needed to keep eating it. I learned my lesson really quick. When I pass by it in the store I shed a tear. Then walk away because I know I can't control myself around it. Inside I'm whining and crying like a 5 year old but then I just move through it like a big girl. I can still treat myself to sweets, but I know my limits.

Also a suggestion. I switched most of my chocolate treats to 90% dark chocolate... I think also by lindt. 3g of sugar for 1 square inch of the bar. It is enough to get that chocolatey taste and sweetness but it isn't a rush like the typical candy bars. I hated dark chocolate before but this really helped my chocoholism.
  • xPocahontas
    Options
    It's just one day

Go exercise or take a nap

We all mess up
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Really? Really? It's chocolate. I'm not trying to be rude here but you seriously have bigger issues I your self worth is dependent upon whether or not you can restrain yourself from eating chocolate.

I understand you'd rather not have eaten it but you can make a better choice the very next time you go to eat something. Forgive yourself and move on. you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Even if you were gaining and not making an effort to be healthy, you wouldn't be useless. No one is useless. NO ONE. Don't tell yourself these things. F**k the thing you just ate- enjoy the treat and move on. You can and WILL do this. :)
  • MA60ULD
    MA60ULD Posts: 17
    Options
    Its only a tinny bunny!

You've probably done yourself a great treat, you've eaten a little and hated alot. Best way to learn maybe, most people eat alot and hate a little.

Add us all and we'll cheer you on with your accomplishments:-)
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance for the novel.

I have been in your shoes more times than I can count. I'm a recovering binge eater and my downfall is sweets. Thanks to using sweets as a stress coping mechanism, I've packed on over 100 pounds and could have easily continued.

One of the most important things I can offer is to let go of the guilt. Food companies design their products to be mega-addictive and many of us have fallen into the trap. You are not alone. A trip to your local mall or shopping center will show you just how many people have become addicted to unhealthy foods. I think it's up to nearly 3 out of 4 Americans who have a weight problem now.

These modern-day processed foods affect our bodies in ways that nature never intended. I think some of us are more resistant to the physical effects of chemicals in food and thus can stop at one Oreo or one small donut. Therefore, they simply cannot understand how food affects someone else in such a different way. Although we might have put the process in motion by introducing the addictive chemicals into our bodies, we are not "weak" people. If the urge to overeat was as strong in every human as it is in us, nearly everyone would be overweight because overeating to us is as unconscious as an instinct. Something causes pleasure, our bodies want the sensation to continue, we need to give our body the hit it craves to feel satisfied.

The success stories you see on MFP, they have truly had an uphill battle to conquer it. Chances are, without counting their calories and consciously exercising, they may have never taken off the weight and in fact kept going the other way. We are basically following a form of self-therapy that helps us keep our problem under control. It becomes easier over time, but it is difficult at first to break the addictive behaviors that become so second nature to us. You've heard of "enablers" who allow and encourage your addiction - well for overweight people, you cannot escape it. Your friends, your family, every magazine rack, every commercial break, every main road loaded with fast food chains, every holiday, etc. is an IN-YOUR-FACE temptation that can prime you. Priming is a very real thing, I might add, as I've had it happen to me a plethora of times.

Point here is, to have a slip-up while you are trying to beat one of the hardest addictions there is is natural. So you got punched by someone jabbing you from every direction. The real weakness will be not getting up off the floor and throwing your punches back. This is why a lot of us are here. This is our way of fighting back, even if we know we can expect to get knocked out from time to time.

Another thing I could offer, these days if I want a treat, I will buy one serving away from home and eat it while I'm not doing anything else (watching tv, reading, etc.) Just enjoy it while savoring the moment, and don't bring a massive quantity of something unhealthy back home. I don't know about you, but when I have junk food in my house, it will sit in the back of my mind until I go and consume it all in one or two sittings. And to think that food companies are getting rich from compulsive overeating disgusts me - especially the ones using high fructose corn syrup, MSG and GMOs in their products.

Also when it comes to having treats, I've tried replacing unhealthy treats with healthier options that won't spend all my calories at once. For example, on Friday nights I used to sit in my living room, watch paranormal shows on TV and eat entire bags of this candy and that candy. When it was all said and done, I'd had literally thousands of calories. My body had no chance at burning that off and I felt like I had no control. Sugar is just as addictive as crack and even harder to quit according to some medical studies. So I've switched over to cauliflower and natural Cheetos. I allow myself some ranch dressing for my veggies and I count out the Cheetos. Spending a few hundred calories on snacks that actually fill you instead of thousands is such a good feeling, and it really curbs cravings.

You always hear people say to drink water when you're having intense food cravings. I tried it and it does work, but in my own experience I have to drink water until I actually feel full. If I wait a craving out (distract myself with a movie, video game, book, or something sufficiently engaging) it will go away usually. Ones that don't usually signal a physical need for something. I've read that chocolate cravings could be a sign of low magnesium, for example. Luckily those are rare.

My happiness and confidence have begun to snowball with every good thing I do for myself. I'm taking small steps and trying to make small changes. The most important thing is to try and rid ourselves of this "all or nothing" mentality. It's been my biggest problem in life because I throw logic out the window. I have one failed day and say "Well that's it. I've blown it. Screw it."

Imagine if you forgave yourself and had several successful days after this one by trying to find ways to avoid the same mistake. You could have a major payoff in terms of how you feel or even what the scale says. Keep fighting for the affirmations that you are on the right track, they will build your confidence, and sometimes I think that is what we need the most. We need to believe in ourselves and trust that we CAN do this.

Feel free to add me as a friend, especially if you'll need some moral support as you go through this, because I know exactly what you're going through and will likely have several days just like you're having as I continue my journey. You have my best wishes and encouragement to keep going! :)

EDIT: According to the nutrition information, each of these bunnies is over 1000 calories. It takes a very small amount of these kinds of foods to undo everything good you might have done for yourself, so size is irrelevant here. It might not be a big deal to some of you to feel like you've blown an entire day and lose faith in yourself, but it is to others.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Pen_thief. Totes adding you.
    You are destined for success. I need you on my feed right NAOW!