Intermittent Fasting Works...

Options
...for me.

I watched this program on BBC Iplayer a couple of weeks ago http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc it discusses fasting as a necessary means to good health and maintaining a sharp brain in old health. Anyway the presenter explorers a number of differing fasting techniques and lost a stone in 5 weeks by REDUCING his calorie intake for two days out of seven, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Monday net calorie intake 600, same again Thursday. Now remember net calories is your daily calorie figure after exercise.

Weighed in this morning and 2ibs lost, whoa.

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Works for me too!

There is an IF group here, which I hadn't found until someone pointed it out to me

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

You might want to look in!
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    what are u eating on the other days are you sticking to your calorie goals
  • stefjc
    Options
    Me?

I am eating the same foods as I have always eaten, I just bulk out small portions with lots of veg. So veg curries, veg and egg strir fry, tuna mayo and ryvita, chicken salads and casseroles, fruit salads .... anything other than bread, pasta rice etc. Apart form being high in calories I just don't fancy them anymore. Given that I could eat a mountain of mashed potato without feeling full, my husband is finding that very amusing!

I only really count the Down Day calories and make 500kcals a day no problem, occasionally I make the lower end of my 20% allowance, 350kcals, with no hunger or any feeling of deprivation. I have modified a few of these recipes to suit my down day, pudding for lunch, main for tea, that sort of thing!

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/173283/Thinner-dinner-recipes

This really seems to work for me, starting week 6 and not feeling anything other than lighter!
  • stephvaile
    Options
    ...for me.

I watched this program on BBC Iplayer a couple of weeks ago http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc it discusses fasting as a necessary means to good health and maintaining a sharp brain in old health. Anyway the presenter explorers a number of differing fasting techniques and lost a stone in 5 weeks by REDUCING his calorie intake for two days out of seven, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Monday net calorie intake 600, same again Thursday. Now remember net calories is your daily calorie figure after exercise.

i meant this lady

on the days u don,t fast at 600 cals do u follow your normal cals on mfp say 1500 or do u eat at maintanance .

im sorry im not interested in people who eat at 500 cals daily on a regular basis
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ...for me.

i meant this lady

on the days u don,t fast at 600 cals do u follow your normal cals on mfp say 1500 or do u eat at maintanance .

im sorry im not interested in people who eat at 500 cals daily on a regular basis

If you're not interested, you could've simply "walked away" from this post without being so rude.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    ...for me.

i meant this lady

If you're not interested, you could've simply "walked away" from this post without being so rude.

He wasn't rude. He said he isn't interested in people who eat 500 calories daily on a regular basis, and asked what they ate on other days.
  • stefjc
    Options
    And it didn't bother me. Just because I like it doesn't mean everyone will. If ADF/IF/JUDDD etc worked for everyone then, like any other diet, we'd all be doing it.

That given it was a bit abrupt! Then again I'm not interested in people who type in textspeak!

I am fully aware IF sounds like hoodoo and that the science behind it is new in human studies but, as I have access to a wide range of science journals and have read a lot of the bariatric and diabetes studies, amongst others, I am happy that it has benefits other than weight loss, is effective and, even better, it works for me.

Others are free to disagree, that's why there are so many different plans. You just have to hope you find the one that suits you best!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm a fan of fasting. I was told to do that by my doctor when I was 17. Unfortunately I didn't stick with it. It isn't for everyone but I did like it. I would do a 'liquid day' every 3 days.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • All_is_well_1959
    Options
    Bump for later
  • notaperfect10
    notaperfect10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, interesting!
  • aliceg94
    aliceg94 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump. Looks interesting
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    ...for me.

IF does work....BUT you are still supposed to hit your macros. At least 1200 cals a day +exercise cals.
    You just eat them in a specific time window and therefore are "fasting" the other hours of the day.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    ...for me.

IF does work....BUT you are still supposed to hit your macros. At least 1200 cals a day +exercise cals.
    You just eat them in a specific time window and therefore are "fasting" the other hours of the day.

There are different forms of IF. The one the OP is referring to is the 5:2 where you only eat 600 cals (500 for women) on 2 days of the week and eat 'normally' the other 5. You're referring to more leangains I guess? Or there's Warrior and probably loads of others.... just find what suits you personally :smile:
  • stephvaile
    Options
    ...for me.

i meant this lady

He wasn't rude. He said he isn't interested in people who eat 500 calories daily on a regular basis, and asked what they ate on other days.

no i wasn,t being rude and i am a lady too my pic fools everyone , ahah i was asking the op and i should,ve stated that as i saw the horizon programme too , but i will apologies if it came out rude .
  • stefjc
    Options
    Don't apologise, and could you please imagine a smiley at the end of my sentence about textspeak? I thought I had added one but it seems I got that wrong! :smile:
  • redheadkirsty
    Options
    In an ADFer and it works well for my body. Then again it's not surprising really at my weight very little could be more damaging to myself asides from fully starving myself.
    I can understand why people are skeptical about it. I've always had the 1200 calories or you won't lose drilled into me. I've had my thyroid tested been on pills (which made me feel terrible) and a whole heap of other stuff.

I've never really had a diet that I've thought I could adopt as a lifestyle until IF.
    On my fast days I don't eat at all. Just drink lots of water. This divides opinions even among other IFers. On days I do eat I eat plenty of vegetables (not a fruit fan) protein, carbs and (shock) fat as even on a diet your body still needs those. I also take multi vitamins but I always have so nothing new to that.
    The health benefits I'm experiencing can't be argued with but this diet won't work for everyone.

In the last month I've lost a stone, 7lbs of which has been in the last 8 days.
    I lost weight quicker on the lighter life diet (meal replacement at 500 calories a day everyday) but I felt crap so stopped, no point losing weight if you feel worse for it.

IF is all about being sensible and adapting to your needs, you need to listen your body (which I've learnt to do now happily)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I saw it too and thought I'd give it a go. I fasted on Tuesday & Friday when I ate 520 calories (was shooting for 500, but oh well....) and ate between 1450ish and 1650ish on the other days = my normal amount, eating back about 50% of exercise calories as I think MFP overestimates in some cases.
    Result? I have lost 3.4lbs, breaking the plateau I've been sitting on for over 3 weeks.

I'm planning on continuing - you can vary the fast day to suit your schedule & I like to spread the calories out over lunch & dinner. I have found that in the day or two after fasting I get hungry quicker than normal - looking for lunch by late morning & for dinner a bit earlier than we normally eat. Otherwise nothing to report except weight loss. :smile:
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I watched the programme too and found it extremely interesting. I have decided to give it a go but so far have refrained as I don't want to just jump into it without working out a good plan of action. It was more than the weight loss - well actually the weight loss was a beneficial side effect - it was to do with mental and physical health and well being. The only thing I think I would reccommend to anyone who wants to try this, is to make sure that the 500/600 calories that they eat on the fast day are made up of good nutritional food - I am not a fan of shakes or artificial supplements - after all the aim is to be not only slimmer but healthier too.
  • stephvaile
    Options
    I saw it too and thought I'd give it a go. I fasted on Tuesday & Friday when I ate 520 calories (was shooting for 500, but oh well....) and ate between 1450ish and 1650ish on the other days = my normal amount, eating back about 50% of exercise calories as I think MFP overestimates in some cases.
    Result? I have lost 3.4lbs, breaking the plateau I've been sitting on for over 3 weeks.

I'm planning on continuing - you can vary the fast day to suit your schedule & I like to spread the calories out over lunch & dinner. I have found that in the day or two after fasting I get hungry quicker than normal - looking for lunch by late morning & for dinner a bit earlier than we normally eat. Otherwise nothing to report except weight loss. :smile:

ah this is the answer i was looking for ta very much i think i will try it ta very mucho lol

:wink: