for those who cant afford protein shakes.

so its come to the time now were protein shake powder is too expensive to buy readymade ( for me anyway ) and it occured that before it came out people still managed to pack on the muscle without the use of supplements ?

so i racked my brains together and came up with a shake thats full of protein and good fats , and low on carbs .

i wanted to share it with everyone so you dont have to worry about not having your protein.

you need ;

1 medium free range egg
200ml of low fat milk i use 1% fat
2 tablespoons of ice cream any flavour (strawberry works best)

1. microwave the ice cream till just melted
2. pour in a bowl with the milk and the egg.
3. handblend together till a shake consistency
or use a shaker cup if desired.

and enjoy

nutritional information ;

1 serving contains

17g of protein
11g of fat
of which 0 saturates
11g of carbohydrates

enjoy x

Replies

• gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    To go with the free range egg I think you need organic milk (maybe even organic soy milk) and a local made artisan ice cream again with organic ingredients.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    To go with the free range egg I think you need organic milk (maybe even organic soy milk) and a local made artisan ice cream again with organic ingredients.
    If your concern is ethics rather than nutrition, perhaps.

Good share OP :) Double the portions and it's a good sized meal replacement.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    I found a recipie for a pre workout shake yesterday which was ok;

One egg white,
    Cup of skimmed milk,
    Banana,
    Teaspoon of instant coffee,
    Teaspoon of honey.

We also added a few ice cubes and blended. It was ok, tasted like coffee slim fast.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    drop the ice cream, use ice instead, add some heavy cream, use 6 eggs. I like to do 1c cream and 6 eggs with vanilla, nutmeg, and stevia. Know what it's called? EGG NOG!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    OK, if you can afford to buy free range eggs, icecream, and organic milk - you can afford protein powder. I get protein powder at wal mart - body fortress. its $14.88 for 2lbs which is 27 1 scoop servings.... So I don't see how your 'cheap' protein shake is any cheaper, or any better -- 1 scoop of protein powder (of this brand anyways) is about 26g of protein..... so the EGG and ICECREAM protein shake doesn't compare. sorry. My go-to shake is.....

1 scoop protein powder $.55/serving
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin $.20/serving
    1/8 cup white kidney beans $.07/serving
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk $.29/serving
    ice (free at home)
    1tbsp cocoa powder $.06/serving

So by my calculations - this is only $1.17/protein shake.

26+g protein + tons of other nutrients, fiber, and low carb.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Thanks for sharing OP - I am always under on protein -.-
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    OK, if you can afford to buy free range eggs, icecream, and organic milk - you can afford protein powder. I get protein powder at wal mart - body fortress. its $14.88 for 2lbs which is 27 1 scoop servings.... So I don't see how your 'cheap' protein shake is any cheaper, or any better -- 1 scoop of protein powder (of this brand anyways) is about 26g of protein..... so the EGG and ICECREAM protein shake doesn't compare. sorry. My go-to shake is.....

ice (free at home)

Beans in a protein shake? Interesting. I may have to experiment.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member

ice (free at home)

I was thinking the SAME THING! lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

ice (free at home)

^ Good post. Not to mention protein powder will tend to provide a much less calorie-dense option.

Whey protein is typically pretty darn inexpensive when you compare it to whole foods on a gram per gram basis.

EDIT: But the OP's recipe is still yummy looking and thanks for sharing =)
  • not been funny but protein shake were i live UK NOT US is £35 a box.

free range eggs are £1.
    milk is £1
    and ice cream s £1

thats £3 for me ...

if you dont have positive comments dont post on here
    i dident ask weather u cud afford it or not , its for people who cant

rant over.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    It's the internet. Not all comments are going to be positive. They weren't rude, just offering a different opinion.
  • i posted this for people who couldent afford shakes not for people who can and want to point out the diffrence in price ?
    or telling me i can afford protein shakes when i clearly wudent be posting this if i could ?
  • wll have to try that :)
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Nice, thanks for sharing
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    it's a fair point being made, a basic whey protein probably works out per gram of protein cheaper than what you are suggesting.

Plus your recipe is fat/carb heavy so can't really be compared to a protein shake in terms of macro profile.

Which protein were you buying before? big name brands (maximuscle etc) are notoriously overpriced.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact_whey_protein

£40 for 200 servings so 20p per serving, ^^^^^^^^^^^^ UK COMPANY BEST VALUE IN THE UK ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I buy whey protein because it actually saves me money.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Wow!!! You all should be ashamed of yourselves...attacking someone for trying to be helpful. This site is really getting bothersome to me. Again people who think their way is better than someone else's just because its differrent than what you would do.

IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE...THEN DON'T SAY NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T POST SOMETHING KIND...THEN DON'T POST ANYTHING IN REPLY! JUST READ IT AND MOVE ON!!!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF FREAKING CONTROL FREAKS THIS SITE HAS!!!!
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    It's the internet. Not all comments are going to be positive. They weren't rude, just offering a different opinion.

I think they were rude. Just because it's the internet doesn't give people the right to be nasty.

Thanks for sharing, OP. I was just looking at protein powder in the store yesterday and remarked how expensive it was.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Wow!!! You all should be ashamed of yourselves...attacking someone for trying to be helpful. This site is really getting bothersome to me. Again people who think their way is better than someone else's just because its differrent than what you would do.

IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE...THEN DON'T SAY NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T POST SOMETHING KIND...THEN DON'T POST ANYTHING IN REPLY! JUST READ IT AND MOVE ON!!!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF FREAKING CONTROL FREAKS THIS SITE HAS!!!!

BWT: to the original poster, Thank you for the post. :drinker:
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Thanks for the post.
  • bunjijk
    bunjijk Posts: 44
    Thanks for your additional comment. I was thinking along the same lines. It's nice to share info. when you find something; not to be discouraged by others' comments. Protein powder shakes get verrrry boring at times so to have a different recipe is nice. Sorry the powders are so expensive over there.

And I agree with another writer - this site is filled with a bunch of negative point-the-finger control freak members. There are a few nice members, but they are too few and far between. I think I am going back to the "Lose It" site.