Any low cal recipes for potatoes?

spinningmango
spinningmango Posts: 197 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
Im a vegetarian and need some low cal recipes for potatoes! Potatoes really fill me up:smile:

Replies

• s00z
    s00z Posts: 3
    found this on the yumsugar blog... its really good! you can play around with the amounts of ingredients too....

Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh herb (such as oregano, basil, and/or parsley) or 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup water
    1 medium potato, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 cup fat-free milk
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/2 of a 15-ounce can (3/4 cup) white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
    Ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Coat an unheated nonstick medium saucepan with cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat.
    2. Add green onions, dried Italian seasoning (if using), and garlic to hot saucepan. Cook until green onions are tender.
    3. Add the water, potato, carrot, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 12 minutes or until potato and carrot are tender. Do not drain. Slightly mash potato and carrot with a fork or potato masher.
    4. In a screw-top jar combine milk and flour; cover and shake well. Stir milk mixture into potato mixture.
    5. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in fresh herb (if using) and beans. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Sprinkle individual servings with nutmeg.
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    this isn't a recipe, but i did notice recently that sweet potatoes actually have fewer calories than regular potatoes. In the past, whenever i've eaten sweet potatoes they had butter and sugar on them, but i've realized that their natural slight sweetness is wonderful. i boil them, mash them and just add a little salt and pepper. the sweet and the salty is wonderful and very filling! oh, and i keep the skin on because i love the texture and the fiber.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    If you want to try something different, try mashed cauliflower. It has a very similar taste & texture to real mashed potatoes, only half the calories. Basically you steam the cauliflower until it's super soft, mash it up, add a little milk and seasoning of your choice, and voila! Mashed cauliflower :)
    It is incredibly filling. Just thought I'd make a potato substitution suggestion.
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Sweet potatos do have lower calories than normal potatos, what I make at the moment is a current favourite with me and my boyfriend. Its a soup but very thick, not watery! (I dont like watery soups..!)

2 large Sweet potato
    4 med Potato
    750 ml of chicken stock
    1 onion
    some garlic
    some finely chopped ginger (I use quite a bit like a zang to it)
    4 Carrots

I boil the potato, Kumara and carrots in the chicken stock, add garlic, ginger and onion. THen when soft, I mash and stir it together until creamy and serve with warm bread... Yum!
    These are rough estimates as I sort of just "free style" while i cook.
    Also if you have a boyfriend who likes protein, I sometimes fry up some bacon and chicken togehter and then mix it into his bowl of soup (it tastes exceptional with this, but the calories blow your mind!)
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    If you want to try something different, try mashed cauliflower. It has a very similar taste & texture to real mashed potatoes, only half the calories. Basically you steam the cauliflower until it's super soft, mash it up, add a little milk and seasoning of your choice, and voila! Mashed cauliflower :)
    It is incredibly filling. Just thought I'd make a potato substitution suggestion.

Ah this is what I was going to put! I second the taste and texture, it's amazing how much it's like real mashed potatoes.
This discussion has been closed.