harder to loose with age

Options
I am 44 and this is so much harder to do this time around. I try to exercise and HURT everywhere,,,, I know what I need to do and trying to get there is just a battle that I seem to be loosing....

Suggestion on activities, exercises or any advice to help me break this bad streak... For every time I loose to 189, I gain it back... ITs driving me nuts. I want to see 160 again... Be healthier....

Replies

• donnamixon
    Options
    I wish I had a magic answer for you but I am experiencing the same issues and I, too, am very frustrated. I've been a month on MFP with absolutely no change. At one point I showed a three pound loss but gained it right back. I have researched BMI, TDEE and a ton of other weight related figures that are suppose to help determine "needs" for weight loss. Apparently I am not using these numbers correctly or if so, fat is my destiny! I know age plays a big part in our struggle. But there has to be an answer for us and I plan to not give up without a major fight! Wishing you much luck and success!
  • jessiekins123
    Options
    Me too! I'm 31 and am finding that it is way harder to lose weight now than it was when I was in my 20s. I'm hoping that if I just stick with it long enough, my body will finally give in! I'm just frustrated that I'm having to wait so long!

I have found that it helps to switch things up a bit though - if I do the same exercise routine for too long, it seems like it stops working and I need to change to something else for awhile. So I try to use the elliptical for a few weeks, then switch to step aerobics, walking, etc. and then back to the elliptical. And strength training helps too!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you don't have any medical issues. Get a check-up on your thyroid and vitamin levels. I found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 39. Getting treatment helped my energy levels and weight loss.

Don't worry about your age affecting weight loss. You can lose weight and get healthy at any age. I'm healthier and more fit at 41 then at any other time in my life.

Long-term consistency is more important than anything. In order to stay successful, it really has to be a lifestyle change. Don't fret over a day or two of "bad" eating or not exercising. Just get back to a healthy routine. A bad day, week, or month really won't matter in the long run.

Exercises: Focus on low-impact cardio and strength training if your joints are sore. If you hurt everywhere, know that the more you exercise, you'll get in better shape and you'll stop hurting. You'll be amazed at how fast you start to feel better.

I remind myself that time passes regardless. So, I might as well keep working on being healthy.

You can do this. Believe in yourself and just keep at it.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I agree with long term consistency. I try to be disciplined but still use food as a response to life stresses. If i have a bad day/week , i still come back. My weight loss has been gradual but it is going down.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you don't have any medical issues. Get a check-up on your thyroid and vitamin levels. I found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 39. Getting treatment helped my energy levels and weight loss.

Don't worry about your age affecting weight loss. You can lose weight and get healthy at any age. I'm healthier and more fit at 41 then at any other time in my life.

Long-term consistency is more important than anything. In order to stay successful, it really has to be a lifestyle change. Don't fret over a day or two of "bad" eating or not exercising. Just get back to a healthy routine. A bad day, week, or month really won't matter in the long run.

Exercises: Focus on low-impact cardio and strength training if your joints are sore. If you hurt everywhere, know that the more you exercise, you'll get in better shape and you'll stop hurting. You'll be amazed at how fast you start to feel better.

I remind myself that time passes regardless. So, I might as well keep working on being healthy.

You can do this. Believe in yourself and just keep at it.

This is a great reply. I will be 44 in a few months, and believe that age is just a number. That being said, I know there are some medical issues that can get in the way, such as fibromyalgia and Sjogren's. Swimming is an excellent exercise for those who suffer from both of those.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 65 and it is hard to shift the weight. I have been doing Round the World and burning over 1000cals most days and been on a weight loss plateau. I do know my shape is changing and the flab is looser ( but still there) I just have to stick with it and almost forget target dates. Weight loss is a bit like my running very slow but am determined to get there.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you actually hit middle age!

I must admit I regret every stupid thing I ever did to my body because I'm being punished for all of them with aches and pains.

Walking and tai chi have been wonderful exercises for me. But I decided many years ago when I hit 40 that there were two types of older people: those who talked about all the things they USED to do and those who talk about the cool things they were doing now.

Exercise is much easier as I get older if I start with something mellow and then slowly move up in intensity. I started walking seriously a few months ago and am now walking faster than I used to jog. It could be worse.
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting a check up and making sure all your levels are normal range.

I am 52 and have lost 19 pounds since April. I hate exercise so I make it things that I like to do. I love to ride my bicycle, I walk, I do jumping jacks, sit ups, squats, and push ups during commercials when I watch TV. I have also joined the August mini challenge here and it helps to get me jump started to continue to do a little more everyday.

The secret (that is no real secret) less calories more movement. Getting rid of processed foods in your life helps too...well it helped me greatly...we are all different! You can do this...We all can do this. Once we put our minds to it.

If you or any one here is looking for a buddie feel free to add me. I love to help motivate and be motivated by others. Good luck all!
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    I hear you. I reached my goal weight years ago from 300lbs to 165 then I turned 40 lol. I don't know what happened but I am now 43 and back to 215 :( I can't seem to get this weight to move. Been to the drs. too and his response is bloodwork doesn't lie. He knew that I was exercising. his advice. I just have to work harder at this age. I really have to be careful of what I eat he suggested staying away from processed foods. SO here I go again!! hoping to be down to at least 180 by the time I turn 44 in November. Just keep pushing. And age is just a number just wish my body would agree with me lol. good luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    BTW, post-menapause (not there yet, but estrogen levels drop after 40), women's fat deposition goes to the waist rather than just the hips and bottom. Which is why lots of older women are more pearshaped and lose the hour glass. Obviously, if you were that way to start with, it gets worse.

And both men and women have a harder time building and maintaining muscle mass.

Another really good reason to lose the weight BEFORE you hit that point.
  • sweetpea1076
    sweetpea1076 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do some exercise but don't have much time in my day, and I'm lazy so there's no way I'm gonna get up any earlier! So I've got myself an exercise bike. What I do is sit and ride it for 15 minutes each morning whilst I'm watching Breakfast TV, so I'm not actually changing my schedule at all and still getting 1 and a half hours exercise each week. (I let myself have a day off at the weekend) Since my last weigh in on Wednesday I've lost another 2lb, that's 11lb in total and I've been "healthy eating" for 4 and a half weeks now. It definitely helps to do exercise as well. Also, because I was addicted to chocolate before, I've cut it out completely cos 1 or 2 cubes wouldn't be enough, and I'd crave it every night. Now I haven't eaten chocolate for over 4 weeks and I don't even think about it now. Good luck, let us know how you get on! :happy:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I turn 60 in a few months - it is doable - you need to make sure your calorie targets are set correctly. I like this thread by Helloitsdan.

It helped me a lot to find where I should be at.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I was doing a lot of cardio - walk/run like C25K and making sure that I got in my 10000 steps everyday but did not really get any where with the scale.
    Now that I'm doing Stronglifts 5X5 I'm seeing my inches start to drop again and my body fat is going down. I'm also finding that my back and hip pain has decreased as I'm lifting heavier!
  • Jerry1001
    Jerry1001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It takes TIME... Just remember everyday you stick with it, your another day closer to your goal!
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    take it slow ! no need to become a exercise freak overnight, it might be counter productive. i lost my first 5 pounds just by walking daily. and then took it from there. don't give up and don't stress!!! stress loves to hang on to fat. think positive, you can do this ! :)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    The ingredients of fitness are pretty much the same at any age.
    Consume less calories than you expend. Think about the nutritional value of the foods you eat and aim to make the most of your calories.
    Find an exercise that you like, or better several types of exercise, and do them in a balanced approach.
    Personally, I'm 62 and I've been on 1200 calories since Memorial Day last year, (so over a year). I eat back my exercise calories and use an HRM. My favorite exercises are: Jazzercise, walking, Tai Chi, swimming and yoga. In a pinch I'll use an elliptical or treadmill, but find them boring. I do strength training regularly. Over the past year I've switched to a healthier eating pattern, but pretty much eat "normal" food.
    I encourage you to continue on your fitness journey and don't let age worries discourage you.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Age is an excuse, not a reason. Is it harder, a little bit. But, you're wiser now. You know that everything you eat has an effect, so you can decide at that moment that you are choosing, if your body needs that food or not.

Last night I felt like I was starving. I searched the cupboards and fridge 25 times looking for something. Fortunately, I no longer buy junk. So, all I had was raw almonds or yogurt. I wound up heating up some brown rice, dicing up some zucchini, and cracking an egg into it for fried rice. That was my night time snack last night.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you care to open your diary, we might be able to make some suggestions....I say this because diet is really the big driver for weight loss - before ya'll "jump in' - yes, exercise is important and shouldn't be neglected, but the OP comments both to exercise pain and struggle and to difficulty keeping weight off. Diet and exercise have to work together - but intake is the big one.

PS - I'm 55.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If you care to open your diary, we might be able to make some suggestions.

Good point. Most people I see that have trouble eat very poorly. It's amazing sometimes that they can't figure out why they aren't losing. But, I think if we could see what you are eating, we could help a little.
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and on meds for hypothyroidism. I upped my walking and added weight bearing exercises, tracked my improved food intake faithfully..and I've taken off 33 pounds in 4 months...almost at goal. So far I haven't had a problem with losing..no plateau either...yet.
    I just approached it as older/thyroid being a problem and went on from there. For me it hasn't been a problem,,but we are all so different. I hope you can break through this and get to whatever goals you have set for yourself.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The ingredients of fitness are pretty much the same at any age.
    Consume less calories than you expend. Think about the nutritional value of the foods you eat and aim to make the most of your calories.
    Find an exercise that you like, or better several types of exercise, and do them in a balanced approach.
    Personally, I'm 62 and I've been on 1200 calories since Memorial Day last year, (so over a year). I eat back my exercise calories and use an HRM. My favorite exercises are: Jazzercise, walking, Tai Chi, swimming and yoga. In a pinch I'll use an elliptical or treadmill, but find them boring. I do strength training regularly. Over the past year I've switched to a healthier eating pattern, but pretty much eat "normal" food.
    I encourage you to continue on your fitness journey and don't let age worries discourage you.

^^^^ This. Great post.