fish receipes?

Options
foss44
foss44 Posts: 119 Member
Okay so I am not much of a cook but learning how to cook healthy, I want to make some fish, probably tiliapa. I got a George Foreman Grill from my dad but it came with no instructions. Anyhow I am wondering if anyone has any good receipes and what degree do you use for the Foreman and how long?

Replies

• enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My foreman is lame and doesn't have heat settings.

The best way to eat tilapia is with a little bit of cajun seasoning, lemon pepper or a combo of both (IMHO, of course).

I would say medium/high would be the best temp.

I often cook fish in a pan on med/high heat. Spray the pan or foreman with pam first and cook for 2-3 min on each side. (This is a very rough estimate). Watch the fish and when it looks all white (instead of pink) cut a slit in the middle. If it's white and flaky, it's done.

Fish is not a difficult thing to cook, but it does require attention. :)
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump, I love fish and need new ideas :)
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I usually make fish in the oven in parchment paper, it's super easy. Preheat to 350, put the fish filet on parchment paper, season how you like it (I use lemon juice plus whatever spices I feel like that day), fold the paper over and roll the edges to make a pouch, then bake for 14-15 minutes. That's for a thin (<1 inch) filet, like tilapia, swai, etc.

I've used the george foreman, it only takes 2-3 minutes total. Keep the heat low/moderate, maybe 325 or 350. Spray the pan first to reduce the risk of the fish falling apart. Overcooked fish sucks but it's not the worst thing in the world so cook it til it's done then if it's tough, next time cook it a little less.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fish (all seafood really). I don't have a foreman grill, so I do everything in the oven. skinnytaste.com has some awesome fish recipes, and so does cookinglight.com. My favorite is the pumpkin seed encrusted baked tilapia on skinnytaste, it was so good!

Edited to add, I'm sure you can modify some of the recipes to work with your foreman grill...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Salmon teriyaki: my 13 year old's favorite thing to cook.

Take salmon fillets. Mix together soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, and garlic. Marinade 15 minutes. Put under broiler for 10 minutes on a side. You can look at it and tell when it's cooked through.

If you want something that doesn't taste like fish, make chowder.

Brown onion and garlic and celery. Add tilapia cut into 1" pieces. Cook a minute or so until it's white, not clear. Add a few cups of milk, a bit of sage or cumin, and a tablespoon of soy sauce or oyster sauce. Cook until warm. Add chopped spinach or corn or chopped tomatoes or any other veggies (steamed and purreed kohlrabi is excellent.) Eat.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    For us, Tilapia is something we would prefer either steamed or a light sautee. Its extremely thin so its going to cook uber-fast.

I make a Tequila-Lime marinade (1800, fresh juice/zest of two limes, gahhhhlic, sea salt, black pepper, cumin, rosemary, cajun seasonings), and marinate the fish.

Medium-high heat, Ill cook up that marinated fish. It will lay on top of some colorful bell peppers, white and red onions, cherry tomatoes-halved with some more gahhhhlic, and some of that zest/juice of lime - all lightly sauteed.

Its something that hits the spot and its so refreshing too!

Ill do that same marinade for chicken and fresh tuna-tips as well!