Problems with MapMyRun App?

Options
I use MapMyRun to track the pace, distance, and time for my walks. I have noticed discrepencies. For example, sometimes I walk the same distance two days in a row, but the distance for the two walks comes up different. Today it is overcast, and it kept cutting off on me. If you have used the app, do you see the same problems? Is there a better app that I could use on my IPhone? Thanks for any responses:-)

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+ app, its free as well
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    I have seen the same problems. I just use my FitBit now & figure the mph using http://www.csgnetwork.com/directmph.html. Then I just log the walk into MapMyFitness.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've tried mapmyrun, endomondo and Nike+ and I noticed that all three are a little different in showing me how far I've gone. Nike + has me going a little farther to make a mile than endomondo and same with endomondo and mapmyrun. I may stick to Nike+ because I think it does graphs for my runs and has a lot more tools. Plus if it does calculate a mile a little farther, than that's better than making it too short. Good luck!
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Although not an app and definately not free, if you are going to get serious about running, I would highly recommend a Garmin GPS unit (like a 405).. My wife was using MapMyRun and one other free app and they always came back with differing and, sometimes, funky information about her runs. I purchased her the 405 it works great. Just a thought...
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Although not an app and definately not free, if you are going to get serious about running, I would highly recommend a Garmin GPS unit (like a 405).. My wife was using MapMyRun and one other free app and they always came back with differing and, sometimes, funky information about her runs. I purchased her the 405 it works great. Just a thought...

If you don't mind, How much do they cost?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You can increase the accuracy of your iphone apps by doing the following before every run:

1) Turn wireless OFF. Ignore what the iPhone says about wireless increasing GPS accuracy.

2) Turn OFF location services for every app except MapMyRun/Runkeeper/etc.

When I do this, I get far more reliable results. When I don't do this, my GPS has me running a very crooked path, sometimes running a mile away and back in a split second. It's irritating, but until I get a Garmin watch, it works.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions!!
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo & a Zephyr HxM heart rate monitor myself, and I've had nothing but difficulties with the GPS/aGPS in the phone. This will cause mileage discrepancies, look at the path you've run, does it track accurately, or are corners cut-off?

My solution is to clip an Bluetooth GPS receiver that I had knocking-about to my shorts, and use that instead of the phones GPS - works very well... very accurate, & quite consistent.

In-short, it might not be the software that's giving you the problems.
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper...thus far on routes whose distance I already know, I have found it to be extremely accurate.

It's free for the basic version which is perfect!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun to track the pace, distance, and time for my walks. I have noticed discrepencies. For example, sometimes I walk the same distance two days in a row, but the distance for the two walks comes up different. Today it is overcast, and it kept cutting off on me. If you have used the app, do you see the same problems? Is there a better app that I could use on my IPhone? Thanks for any responses:-)
    None of the apps are accurate, every single one of them is off. The worst I ever had was actually with Nike+ (even though it is normally slightly better than mapmyrun). Nike+ recorded a 10k (6.2 mile) run as only being 5.6 miles. :angry:
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have run with mapmyrun a couple times and i have a friend running beside me also running the app. His is always reporting miles before mine. After 18 miles today his was .8 of a mile ahead. I run measured trails with runkeeper and it's usually spot on. i'll have to test mapmyrun with my measured trails.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I've had several issues with uploading to the MapMy____ sites recently. They have been little help, suggesting only that I need a better connection when trying to upload. None of the other sites I upload to have had the same problems. I'm seriously considering abandoning using the MapMyRide/Run/Fitness stuff altogether.
    I use the Wahoo Fitness app with my HEM and Bike sensors, and LOVE them, FWIW.
  • BBQn4u
    BBQn4u Posts: 1
    Options
    My wife has had an iPhone 4S for quite some time and been using MapMyRun for walking. I just got an iPhone 5 last week and have been walking with her. We can never get the same mileage on each of our phones even when syncronizing pressing the start button and walking directly beside each other. Today, for example, her MapMyRun showed a distance of 6.01 miles while mine showed 5.51 miles. That's almost a 10% discrepency between the same app on different iPhones walking identical routes at the same time. Crazy! I have also used it to measure how far I walk while mowing the lawn. Last week it showed 2.3 miles, but when I look at the map record, I saw large chunks of the yard that appeared to have not been walked on, or mowed. I think there may be something to the earlier comment of turning off the wireless function. I don't know if my WiFi was kicking in while near the house, and interfering with my Verizon signal. Have to try again next week with WiFi off. Thanks for that tip.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Turn off your WiFi on your phone, that will improve the accuracy of your GPS greatly, I had this same problem with multiple tracking apps, once off, they were pretty accurate.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just bought a refurbished Garmin Forerunner 210 with HRM for $150.00.

But, before I did that, I used MayMyRun and Endomondo off and on for almost a year. They both had days where they didn't work too well (would tell me I reached a mile, only 4 minutes in - haha that'll never happen!), but that only happened every so often. When it did, I would just stop it and start it over. Other than that, yeah they were off a little, but it was still the best FREE way to keep track IMO.

You can also map it out on Google Maps after your walk/run and compare.

But now that I'm running 35-40 miles per week and training for a marathon I decided to splurge and get something a little more accurate. Although, as people will mention on this too - the Garmin's can be off as well, and can sometimes take a long time to find satelite signals. If you don't plan on getting really serious about running, I would just stick with the apps!
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    we did this with my phone and my girlfriend's phone last weekend. we hiked 6 miles side by side and here reported a very very different distance. I chalked it up to her service being worse than mine.

for the most part, i think it's fairly accurate though. i run the same route every week and it always tells me the same 3.22 mile distance