Weekly NET average anyone? NET BMR plus what?

Options
I like to look at my calories on a weekly basis. I might eat less on some days, eat more on others, exercise on some days, rest on others. This allows me to live my life a little easier, lol! I think it all balances out in the end. Do any of you prefer to keep track this way?

Since the MFP app has a weekly "NET" feature, I'm also curious how much above your BMR you can NET in order to lose weight.

My stats are...
Female
Age 40
5'5"
CW - 145
GW - 135
Sedentary job, Exercise 3-5 days a week for 45 mins
BMR -1400
TDEE - 1930 light, 2175 moderate

I know my TDEE -15% already accounts for exercise calories, but since the app reports weekly calories as "NET" how many calories above my BMR of 1400 can I NET to successully slowly lose weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bumpin' for advice! :flowerforyou:
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I keep a tracking spreadsheet. I try to meet weekly goals and don't stress if I'm over or under by 100-200 calories on any given day. I do stress about going over by 500 calories on a day. My basic stats are:

Female
    41 yrs
    64" (5 feet 4 inches)
    Current weight 184 lbs.
    Goal weight 149 lbs.

Here's my calorie and exercise stats based on an average of the past 12 weeks. My daily goal is set to 1200 net, but I am everaging about 150 overage per day on that. During this period, I've lost 16 lbs (from 200 to 184). My original starting weight was 217.

Average gross calories per day 1640
    Average exercise calories per day 287
    Average net calories per day 1353
    Average weekly weight loss 1.3 lbs

Implied equilibrium net calories 2020
    Implied equilibrium gross calories (TDEE) 2307

Ideally, I'd like to be losing faster at 2lbs per week. My BMI is obese at 31.6 so it seems reasonable to think that an obese person could lose at 2lbs per week. In order to make that happen, I would need to set my MFP net goal to 1020 (to gross 1307).

*I almost always measure my portions.

**I use MFP estimates for calories burned, but am realistic in my entries. For example, if I work out with the my trainer for an hour session, I enter it as 45 minutes of actual strength activity because I know that some of the time we are doing post stretching or he is correcting my form on a lift.

I ignore BMR because a RD told me that those online BMR calculators can be off by hundreds of calories at the individual level. My tracking is more relevant for my specific body. My advice would be to look at how your body is actually performing.