Working class as exercise??

Options
I was wondering if i could add my work into exercise.. im on my feet and walking around for the majority of my 9 hours shift.. but never really sure whether i could add that into my exercise and if so as what.. can anyone help please..??

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    What would be the point of that?

I only count planned/organized exercise like when I spend 30 minutes on my treadmill or do an exercise DVD or swim laps.

Other than that, I do not count normal daily activity. . . I am on my feet walking around at work and like everyone else, I clean house and do all kinds of other life activities. But I don't consider those things countable exercise. I count that as having an active life.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think that is the point of setting your activity level. I work a desk job so I put sedentary. Someone who works construction would probably put highly active.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Set it as your activity level. MFP gives you guidelines as to what constitutes each level. I work in retail and am therefore standing and walking for most of the day, but nothing more taxing than that, so mine is set to 'lightly active'.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That should already be accounted for when you set your activity level in your profile. You are already doing this and still having weight issues. You are going to have to do additional exercise, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Work is part of your everyday life, exercise is something you do outside of work. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    That should already be accounted for when you set your activity level in your profile.

Agreed. But if the activity level is set low, then I don't see the problem with adding it.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That should already be accounted for when you set your activity level in your profile.

Agreed. But if the activity level is set low, then I don't see the problem with adding it.
    Why set it low if you are actively on your feet all day? Seems counter productive...
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you wear a pedometer do you get more than 10000 steps? if so you should choose moderate as your activity level especially if you exercise on top of that.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-1

a lot of good info here.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Only you can answer the question. Be honest with yourself, we all walk around all day, are you doing repetitive heavy lifting, or are you back and forth from the copy machine to the customer service counter. Both on your feet all day jobs, very different levels of exertion. If you estimate too high, then you will not see results and get discouraged, too low and you'll see a fast start but will burn yourself out from lack of nutrition. Though, I would always err on less is more, you can always up your exercise level into MFP at a later date if you are succeeding but feeling hungry all the time because you are burning more calories than you are accounting for.
    Another solution, is get a fitbit or one of the other high tech pedometers, I don't put any exercise in because my fitbit tracks everything I do, including intensity, and works with MFP to automatically update my nutritional requirements depending on my level of activity that day. It makes it simple stupid which fits me to a T.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Why set it low if you are actively on your feet all day? Seems counter productive...

Many reasons. Shift work... part-time jobs...
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I was wondering if i could add my work into exercise.. im on my feet and walking around for the majority of my 9 hours shift.. but never really sure whether i could add that into my exercise and if so as what.. can anyone help please..??

I don't count mine as exercise and I don't log exercise. I walk more on most days with work than a lot of people do for planned exercise. I think of it as a plus. I get paid to walk around neighborhoods and parks. No need to pay for a gym! I can't do strength training and most workouts due to injuries but I walk and walk and walk. On days I feel a lot of pain I do less and work around it. Jobs that require physical activity are a big plus to me. Just do like me, think of it as getting paid to move.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

The problem is because off the way MFP is set up. If you just count it as exercise, no problem, you're only fooling yourself. But since MFP adds those calories back into your daily eating goal, you're going to being giving yourself a calorie surplus and wondering why your scale isn't going down. If putting exercise in your log didn't add calories, no big deal. But MFP does, so adding work as exercise is going to screw up your progress.
  • Chezzie71
    Chezzie71 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks for the comments, im still finding my way around on here... i have now set my activitly level to accomodate it...xx
  • darrensurrey
    Options

The problem is because off the way MFP is set up. If you just count it as exercise, no problem, you're only fooling yourself. But since MFP adds those calories back into your daily eating goal, you're going to being giving yourself a calorie surplus and wondering why your scale isn't going down. If putting exercise in your log didn't add calories, no big deal. But MFP does, so adding work as exercise is going to screw up your progress.

Indeed. I've decided to not bother eating back exercise calories as it's too much buggering about. I'm going for a fixed target every day.