Kundalini Yoga

Options
rachelbethany
rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
I have been trying to find MFP friends who practice kundalini yoga, but haven't really found any yet. I try to practice daily, and my favorite kundalini yogis are Ana Brett and Ravi Singh. I even went to one of their yoga retreats in the mountains last summer. It was amazing/life-changing. Anyone heard of RaviAna or just practice kundalini in general? Curious!

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it.... but I do love yoga. I would love to go to classes but it is too expensive in my area....
  • jsaunt90
    Options
    Hi Rachel. I practice Kundalini Yoga (as well as Hatha). I enjoy it and have used DVDs by Ana Brett and Ravi Singh as well as attending weekly classes. When I want variety from the DVDs, and there is no class going on, I've found tons of videos on YouTube when I've searched Kundalini. There is one teacher on there who has a bunch of videos.

I had lost most of my weight already by the time I started practicing KY, but I think it helps me to maintain. And I have gotten much stronger (physically and otherwise) with KY. I also think the Kundalini helps me with willpower and being happy with myself even more than Hatha (which I really love as well).

Sometimes I'm not sure why exactly I do like Kundalini, but I do. And yes, it is not as commonly practiced as Hatha and all the forms of Hatha (flow, hot, Ayengar, etc.). It's not even always easy to find classes (which is why I like the videos online and DVDs. And because the exercises (kriyas) are so different, the emphasis on mantras (chanting) and chakras (energy channels), I think it is misunderstood and less accepted compared to more traditional yoga (even though the practice is ancient). (I include these comments not so much for you, but for someone who hasn't practiced KY.) Oh, and for those who think it's too expensive to take yoga classes, oftentimes the first week is free, some studios offer trade classes for volunteering (to man the desk, for example) , and there are many free podcasts and videos available as well. Don't let finances stop you from doing yoga!

I'd love to know your experience with Kundalini.
    Leslie
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I just tried this--kundalini yoga yesterday, for the first time. very good and i really can't wait to do it again so i am gonna buy the dvd from gaiam. it's the dvd we used in the free class, and i will be able to do at home :) it's EXCELLENT! the instructor on the dvd is lovely, great voice, soothing and very professional :flowerforyou:

here is the title:
    Kundalini Yoga With Gurmukh