how do i know what my target heartrate is?

Options
i dont really know too much about excercising yet but i was told to burn calories i have to be in "cardiac mode" but how do i kno what that is>?.... is it the same for everyone?....

Replies

• KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i dont really know too much about excercising yet but i was told to burn calories i have to be in "cardiac mode" but how do i kno what that is>?.... is it the same for everyone?....
  • jvball21
    Options
    Hi KanCrav,
    The way I've heard to figure this out is to take 220 minus your age to figure your "maximum" heart rate. Your "target zone" should be around 70 to 80% of that for best results.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ok so i am 20..... so thats 160 is my target?

and another question... when i am not in the target am i burning calories or no?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/good-workout

this is a good article that explains it.

Oh, and if you're moving (at all) you're burning calories.:wink:
  • jvball21
    Options
    KanCrav,

You're always going to be burning calories. But some people believe that if they work extra hard (above their target zone) that they're going to be burning more calories. That's not always the case. That may be ok if you're doing things like intervals where you go all out for about 30 or 60 seconds and then cruise for 30 or 60 seconds and repeat about 6 times. But if you want to run a mile or 2 or 4. Try staying in your lower range of your target zone so you don't wear yourself out. Because if you wear your self out, you'll be exercising less time and that in itself will cut the calories you're going to be burning off.
  • courtneyc
    Options
    I have a question also..... I just got a polar heart rate monitor and I worked out for 47 minutes. It says that I was in "the zone" for 18 minutes, my average heart rate was 168, max heart rate was 182 and that I burned 469 calories. 17 minutes in my target heart rate seems like it's not long enough. How long should you be in your target heart rate zone?
  • jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have a question also..... I just got a polar heart rate monitor and I worked out for 47 minutes. It says that I was in "the zone" for 18 minutes, my average heart rate was 168, max heart rate was 182 and that I burned 469 calories. 17 minutes in my target heart rate seems like it's not long enough. How long should you be in your target heart rate zone?

I'm no expert on this but I would think that the goal would be to stay in that zone through out your exercise as much as you can. But it really depends on what you're doing. For instance if you're doing intervals or weight lighting you might be going in and out of that zone. If you're cycling or running it might be easier to stay in that zone. I hope I'm not totally wrong on this. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.