Absolutely ridiculous...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    if you post and get no answer why not simply google?
    or ask the doctor who approved ur 1200 cal diet with rigorous exercise?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    oh no, the free website didn't solve all your problems?
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    MFP is used for logging stuff. The community forums are exactly that... forums. You can't rely on forums, welcome to the internet.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am curious. This is a question for the people who are advised to follow 1200 calories diet by a physician. Did the physician give you a menu to follow or specific guidelines to follow? Do you need to take vitamins b.c of low caloric intake?

I was told to just eat what I wanted as long as I didn't eat over 1200 calories. I don't think the Dr gave me good advice he referred me to a website which seems useless unless you pay - http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk either he didn't check it before he gave the address or he knows the person that runs it. He referred me to a dietician , she decided it was best to up my cals to 1500
    because I was feeling so drained
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    Once again thank you to all those with helpful advice! We seriously need a middle finger smiley! I would definitely use it for some people on here.
  • snapplecapwisdom
    Options
    I don't understand my Micro and Macros. I sort of know what they are, but as far as judging how much I should eat compared to how many calories I take in every day is just confusing. I know my TDEE and my BMR, but don't know if the calories I should consume are my net calories or my goal calories? I consume between 1500-1800 calories, varied because I'm a full time mom of 5 children. But I only net between 900 and 1200 calories, even though I reach the amount on the goal side of it.

This is the way that best helps me understand.. Think of calories as being either "positive" or "negative" in relation to the way your body uses them. "Positive" calories are the ones you take in (ie food) and "negative" calories are the ones you burn. Positive calories only come from food, but negative calories basically come from 3 different places: calories you burn during exercise, calories you burn doing daily activities, and calories you burn just to stay alive.

Your BMR represents the calories burned just to live. This is how many calories you would burn if you did nothing but lie in bed all day.
    Calories burned during the day include walking around, breathing, digesting, thinking, talking, etc..
    Exercise calories are self explanitory.

Your TDEE is the sum of your BMR and your daily activities calories.

I haven't looked at your diary but I assume you're exercising daily, which is probably where the confusion is coming from between net and goal calories. There are debates on MFP about "eating back" exercise calories, but I personally feel that it is necessary to eat back all of the calories you burn during exercise in order to be healthy. So let's say your net calorie goal is 1500. If your TDEE is, say, 2000, that means that your body needs 2000 calories to function but you're only giving it 1500. That extra 500 calorie deficit is going to come from the excess fat stored on your body.

Now let's say that one day you burned an extra 300 calories doing some exercise. Your body still needs the normal 2000 calories that it needs every day, but now it needs another 300 to replace the energy you lost during that exercise. That means that you actually burned 2300 calories that day. Therefore, to keep a 500 calorie deficit, you actually need to consume 1500 + 300 , or 1800 calories. MFP calculates this in from day to day by "giving back" your exercise calories, so after you log the exercise it will increase your "calories left" for the day by the amount you burned exercising.

It's ok sometimes to be under your calorie goal, but if you're netting 900 calories then it means you're not giving your body enough calories for basic functions, and though you'd expect your body to just continue to get these extra calories from your fat stores, there is a point (usually below your BMR calories) at which the body will hold on to fat stores because it is getting signals that food is scarce and it might need these extra fat calories in the near future for survival.

Hope this helps, I tried to be thorough without being too confusing :smile: