hormonal or chemical changes regarding weightloss.

Options
Hi! I'm wondering if my weightloss could link have a link to my current attitude and emotional problems. I have really been a jerk lately, my temper is short, I want to cry super easy, and I know I'm overreacting over stupid stuff. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some overtraining/overreaching/undernutrition. What is your training schedule and food intake like?
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First off - congrats on your HUGE weight loss!

I think it's awesome that you are aware of how your behavior has been. I find that taking some time to examine my attitudes and behaviors is a good way to gain perspective on life and how I handle the stresses of it.
    The other part of this, as you suggest, could be hormonal. As women, our hormone levels change throughout the entire month. Give it some time, and see if your moods don't level off. I would think that as we lose weight, our attitudes would only improve, but if it continues to be bothersome, you may want to consider talking to your doctor.
    Remember, that we always have a choice on how we respond to our life circumstances. Yes, life is not always easy, but we can purposefully make positive choices.

Hang in there! :smile:
    Connie
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I was like that in March/Apr eating to little. I bumped by calories up by 100 and felt better. I went to maintenance for a month and felt better a lot better when I went back to deficit mode.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think those are both good suggestions above. Here's my experience. . .

I have found that since I lost the weight (and you've lost a lot, congrats!) I had to learn how to deal with emotions. In the past (when I was a bigger girl) I'd never learned how to cope with stress or express negative emotions. . .I just ate some ice cream, or a pie, or some french fries and numbed all the negative stuff. I was "happier" because I was using food as a drug.

Be patient with yourself. If your means allow, you might consider getting someone professional to talk to. It really helps.:flowerforyou:
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a training schedule I ride my bike to work and back everyday and my job is fairly physically demanding. I try to walk/run a 3-5 days a week. I recently have been giving into "crap food" and feeling gulity for it. I had been eating super clean, talking it out maybe between the sugar and the guilt its effecting my brain? I don't know I may try to up my cals with healthy stuff for a few weeks and see if that helps... I have been diagnosed with pmdd and had been blaming that but really its become all month! So its gotta be something else
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Significant weight loss can definitely affect your hormones because fat cells produce estrogen and when your ovaries are accustomed to this and suddenly THEY're responsible for much more estrogen production, things can get out of whack as they figure this out. I lost 85 pounds on weight watchers about 4 years ago, after having been overweight since puberty, so my ovaries got a shock and my period stopped. Scared me to death taking negative pregnancy test after negative pregnancy test and finally going to my gyn and getting blood work, ultrasound, etc, trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Turns out everything checked out fine, I started on the pill to kind of restart my cycle and all has been well since. But yes, weight loss affects your hormone balance. Beyond that... honestly I would talk to a doctor.