Wanting your input about colleges

Options
Hi everyone! I just wanted everyone's opinions about colleges and universities. I just recently decided to go back to school and have completed my first term but I am unhappy with my current school and wonder, does it really matter WHERE your degree is from? I don't know how employers look at where your degree comes from. I am wanting to major in Accounting, and am soo confused about where I want to transfer to. I never really thought much about where you get degree from until a friend brought it up! I am so confused right now. I don't want to pay thousands of dollars for school and end up with a joke of a degree. I pretty much HAVE to go to school online because of my schedule with the kids and trying to find a full time job and what not. Also, no school is really very close to me. Please help!

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    My only piece of advice would be to be cautious about for-profit schools (Phoenix, DeVry, Kaplan, etc.). I can't personally vouch as to the quality of the education they offer, but I can tell you first-hand that degrees from those kind of schools are not taken as seriously in the business world. Some corporations won't even consider people with degrees from those type of institutions.

Edited to add: more and more "regular" (non-profit) universities are offering online classes. My school (CU Denver) offers an MBA entirely online, and I know another college up in another part of my state offers quite a few degrees online - they are both perfectly legitimate schools and programs. I would definitely look into that, for schools in your area, if I were you.
  • Samantha1987
    Options
    Honestly, for most majors I would say no.

The only thing I've ever heard, is if it's an "online" college, employers may actually have an issue with it.
  • Samantha1987
    Options
    "I pretty much HAVE to go to school online because of my schedule with the kids and trying to find a full time job and what not."

I just read that part. I don't know if you're going for a 2 year or 4 year degree.

But for instance @ my CC, there's classes that can be taken online. But when people receive their degree, it's not classed as an "online" degree. It's just LIKE if you took classes in person.
  • samwal81
    Options
    I completed my Bachelor's by sitting in the classroom for four years. I completed my Master's completely online. I learned more while completing my Master's than I did my Bachelor's. When I applied for my current job my employer didn't care that my Master's was completed online. They were only concerned about what my major was.

I used Colorado Technical University Online. They offer a degree in Accounting. Their classes are 5 1/2 weeks long with a week inbetween each one.

An important thing you want to consider when choosing a college, whether it's online or not, is to ensure the college is accredited. There are many different kinds of accreditations out there. Usually you can find the college's accreditation type on their website somewhere, if not call them and ask. If you go to an unacreddited college you won't be eligible for government loans and your credits usually won't transfer anywhere.

Good luck!!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Ty so much for the school advise. I have been literally driving myself crazy looking up all the info for numerous colleges. I really do not like my school I am going to now (University of Phoenix) They are for profit and don't give a crap about the student at all! I hate it! I just am starting 2 classes today ( I couldn't withdraw without penalty :grumble: ). These classes end 1/31/10 because there is a 2 week Christmas Break in there as well. I am going to be starting Western Governor's University. After looking at all my options, I have concluded that this school is VERY affordable. Only $2890/6 month term, regardless of the number of credits and they are a not for profit school. I'm going to aim for 18 credits per 6 months, that's only 1 class a month and I am sure I can do it. I am always way ahead in my work and have lots of time to do it in. They are regionally and nationally accredited and have even won awards for distance learning. I can get a bachelor's degree from WGU for about 1/3 of what an ASSOCIATE degree from UoP would cost me. I looked into this school before, but rushed into UoP because I was inpatient...big mistake! I have learned my lesson and hopefully some of these credits will transfer. So, I am looking at finishing my classes at UoP then withdrawing before my next ones start and starting at WGU March 1, 2010. I feel a huge sense of relief! There are SO many different schools out there. :smile: