quick protein snack that isn't a shake or bar???

Options

Replies

• kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter or nuts. :)

nuts are a good source of fat, protein...not so much.,

Yea, I use PB when my fat percentages are on the low side.

I do love peanut butter. :) i snack on that too now and then... I should try the organic one someone mentioned earlier, less sugar = good thing for me...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Roast beef usually has less salt than turkey - I put it in a rollup with greek yoghurt instead of mayo and some salad.

If you want low salt, buy a roast, roast it, then thin slice and freeze it in reasonable packs.
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Also regular cheese. Any dairy product pretty much. Sometimes I just have some milk. and Beef Jerky.

I actually have cottage cheese for breakfast most mornings- I get a brand called Friendship that has 16g of protein in 1/2 a cup... and almost no salt. It's weird at first- but now I don't miss the salt at all.
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    Roast beef usually has less salt than turkey - I put it in a rollup with greek yoghurt instead of mayo and some salad.

If you want low salt, buy a roast, roast it, then thin slice and freeze it in reasonable packs.

I like this!! I haven't had roast beef in forever.. and my husband isn't a fan... which means he won't eat my snack food. :happy: :laugh:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    wrcj5x.jpg

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2010/04/25/low-carb-snacks-homemade-baked-cheese-crisps-recipe/

These from Joyful Abode -- 100 calories and 9g of protein. I made some this morning -- a 1/4 cup of shaved Parmesan and a little bit of garlic and onion powder and 6 minutes in the oven -- delicious. Quick and easy to make but you can store them for later too if you need an even quicker snack.

ETA:
    I completely missed your low fat requirement. These have 7g of fat so I don't think they qualify? Sorry!

Well, they look good. I'll def try it on a day where I allow for the 7g. :)

My husband makes those and they are AWESOME. if you ever want to get fancy, while they're warm, roll them and fill them with something delicious. Great appetizer.
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    Beef jerky

If only it wasn't so expensive! Even to make my own... you have to get a really lean cut of beef.. and it's just not always economical.
  • srslycolette
    srslycolette Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, boiled egg, turkey sausage links?
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    You could try making a protein brownie with your protein powder.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/669753-protein-brownie-single-serving

I've been eating them over this last week and they're pretty damn good.

OMG- you are amazing, and so is this idea. AND- you managed to make me not hate the protein powder I've been taking forever and ever that I'm so sick of.... thank you!!!! SO GOOD!
  • Eweinert227
    Options
    I'm the same way; I'm trying to keep my sodium intake and my sugar intake down. I've found it very difficult to keep my sugar intake down, though (below the allotted amount). I need to boost my protein intake as well, which is why I relate. I also need to boost my calcium and potassium. Good luck. I hope your hubby gets the right stuff. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky. The sodium can be really high, but it's so yummy.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You could try making a protein brownie with your protein powder.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/669753-protein-brownie-single-serving

I've been eating them over this last week and they're pretty damn good.

This was what I was going to suggest! I'm loving them lately.
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    I'm the same way; I'm trying to keep my sodium intake and my sugar intake down. I've found it very difficult to keep my sugar intake down, though (below the allotted amount). I need to boost my protein intake as well, which is why I relate. I also need to boost my calcium and potassium. Good luck. I hope your hubby gets the right stuff. :smile:

Eweinert227- yes I know what you mean! If my sugars mainly come from fruit, I let it go a little more. If it's anything processed, I count it strictly. I've noticed that watching my sodium has been a key to weight loss! Not just about water weight either!!

Potassium is a biggie for me too.. I was actually hospitalized for a potassium deficiency (so low that the Dr told me I was pretty much at 0, for as much as my body was concerned). From the symptoms and the pain, they thought I had Meningitis! 2 Spinal taps later- they concluded it was just the low potassium. NOT FUN!

Ensure drinks, cauliflower, cottage cheese, blueberries and milk are my main potassium sources now... and if I start feeling like I'm dragging- I double up on ensures to get as much potassium, as I can get.
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    fat free cottage cheese is high in protein. also faux meats are very high in protein and take no time to cook from frozen.
  • CaoimheN
    CaoimheN Posts: 16
    Options
    Smoked salmon or raw almonds, but be careful with the almonds, about 10 cals per nut!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    wrcj5x.jpg

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2010/04/25/low-carb-snacks-homemade-baked-cheese-crisps-recipe/

These from Joyful Abode -- 100 calories and 9g of protein. I made some this morning -- a 1/4 cup of shaved Parmesan and a little bit of garlic and onion powder and 6 minutes in the oven -- delicious. Quick and easy to make but you can store them for later too if you need an even quicker snack.

ETA:
    I completely missed your low fat requirement. These have 7g of fat so I don't think they qualify? Sorry!

My husband makes those and they are AWESOME. if you ever want to get fancy, while they're warm, roll them and fill them with something delicious. Great appetizer.

Oh! That is such a good idea, thanks. :smile:
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    wrcj5x.jpg

ETA:

Oh! That is such a good idea, thanks. :smile:

I just made these with mozzarella parmasean and clubhouse `garlic plus`seasoning. ill make em again.
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    hummus any flavor with carrots my new favorite is edaname hummus soooo good. Also walmart has single serving edename in the pods takes a long time to eat and tasty
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A couple of hard boiled eggs mashed up with yellow mustard does the trick for me :)
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My new fave is plain greek yogurt with a pack of splenda, about a half tablespoon of honey and blueberries...I have to sweeten it with splenda, otherwise I feel like I'm eating sour cream....BLEHHH!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've actually enjoyed the occasional sweet snack of 1/4 cup of Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) mxzed with a couple of tablespoons of sugar free syrup and about 1/4 cup of water. Just mix it all up and let the TVP rehydrate a bit and it had a bit of the texture of a steel cut oatmeal with just that hint of maple sweetness. It comes out to about 65 calories, 0g fat, 4g carbs, 4g fiber and 11g protein, depending on your exact brand of TVP.

If you want it to be even more like steel cut oatmeal, you can warm it a bit as well.

I keep the TVP on hand because I use it in my protein bars, was out of the bars one night and needed a quick protein heavy snack after a workout and decided to chance it. And it was shockingly good. lol