Chrstmas cookie recipes

becky444
becky444 Posts: 145 Member
So I have 3 little ones and I love holiday baking but want to try to do it a bit heathier.

Do you have any recipes that taste nummy and are still not so bad for you?

Replies

• Home»
    Recipe Finder»
    Almond Macaroon Fingers
    Provided by:
    Text Size: A | A | A Share |
    RSSPrintEmailAlmond Macaroon Fingers
    From Good Housekeeping

Try our guilt-free treats. Many are low calorie; others are nonfat or made with whole grains and good-for-you ingredients like dried fruit and antioxidant-rich nuts.
    Be the first to rate this recipe

Recipe Photos Reviews Video Save this recipe

Add to a Collection Loading Collections New Collection
    Add ingredients to my shopping list

Add to a Shopping List Loading Lists New Shopping List
    Submit your version

Cancel You must be logged in to use this feature.
    Username:
    Password:

Forgot your username or password?
    Not a member? Register

Do you have an alternate version of this recipe?
    Share it with us!
    Submit your version

Nutritional Information
    (per serving)

Calories 35
    Total Fat 2g
    Saturated Fat --
    Cholesterol --
    Sodium 3mg
    Total Carbohydrate 5g
    Dietary Fiber --
    Sugars --
    Protein 1g
    Calcium --

Monica Buck
    Yields: 3 1/2 dozen cookies

Oven Temp: 300
    Ingredients
    U.S. Metric Conversion chart
    1 can(s) (7- to 8-ounce) almond paste
    1/2 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
    2 large egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
    2 ounce(s) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment.
    2.In food processor with knife blade attached, process almond paste and sugar until combined (a few small lumps will remain). Add whites and vanilla; pulse until well combined.
    3.Spoon batter into decorating bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip. Pipe batter into 3-inch-long fingers, 1 inch apart, onto prepared cookie sheets.
    4.Bake macaroons, on 2 oven racks, 17 to 19 minutes, rotating sheets between racks halfway through baking, until cookies start to turn golden brown on edges. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks. Repeat.
    5.In microwave-safe cup, heat chocolate in microwave oven on High 1 minute or until soft and shiny. Remove; stir until smooth. With pastry brush, brush chocolate on half of each macaroon; let dry. If necessary, place in refrigerator 5 minutes to set chocolate. Peel cookies from parchment; store tightly covered at room temperature, with waxed paper between layers, up to 3 days or in freezer up to 1 month.

One serving = 1 cookie
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    I was going to recommend my Coconut Macaroon recipe, but i calculated the calories, and they totaled 85 calories per little cookie. :noway: I think we can do better than that.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    I think I saw some in the latest WWatchers Magazine.
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Here's a great site:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_holiday_cookies_recipes

my kids love the boot tracks cookie recipe
  • slightingscale
    Becky, this is my four kids' favorite cookie. It isn't low fat or low sugar, but it does contain peanut butter and rice krispies. Does that help?:smile: It's still the favorite of my now old kids, and it's very easy! Let me know how you/they like it. The cookies are very durable, so they transport well, too (camping, tailgating, picnics, potlucks, etc). You won't be disappointed.

Peanut Crisp Bars

1/2 c sugar
    1/2 c light corn syrup
    1 c peanut butter
    2 c crisp rice cereal

Line 11x7 pan with waxed paper. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Blend in peanut butter. Stir in cereal. Pat evenly into pan. Chill.

Frosting:
    1/4 c butter
    1/4 c brown sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 Tbls powdered sugar

Melt butter. Add sugar and vanilla. Stir in powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread over cookies. Chill. Remove from pan and cut. Makes 30-36 bars. Store in refrigerator. Freezes well.

-Susan
  • For most any cookie recipe (like Toll House on the back of the bag of chocolate chips), you can substitute whole wheat pastry flour for white flour, substitute applesauce (or pumpkin, or jarred baby food fruit like prunes) for oil or butter, and cut the sugar in half (the applesauce adds sweetness). For any recipes that use peanut butter, try Better 'N Peanut Butter - it has way less calories. I don't love the taste of it for sandwiches, etc. - but it works awesome for cooking with. Also, check out www.hungrygirl.com for some of her cookie recipes - here's a link for a "cookie" search on there: http://www.hungry-girl.com/hgsearch.php?keyword=cookies. Enjoy!
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    These sound like great recipes! If I find anything, I will share. But, I was wondering what I could make for Christmas sweets and still have some of! Great thread.
  • slightingscale
    Come to think of it, Meringue cookies are low in calories, but personally, they don't cut it when I really want Scottish Shortbread.:ohwell:
  • slightingscale
    And homemade Butter Caramels.:ohwell: :ohwell:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Here's a great site:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_holiday_cookies_recipes

my kids love the boot tracks cookie recipe

Thanks this site has some great recipes that I want to try!