Elevated heart rate?

Options
Altiv
Altiv Posts: 174 Member
Hi everyone!

First of all, I know this is not a medical site but I want to know if any of you have a clue to what is happening with me, so I can get proper help if needed, so, here's my story:

I'm 23 years old, no previous cardiac problem and my weight is 147 lb. I've been exercising 5 times a week for almost two years using a HRM for accurate measure of my heart rate and never had a problem with it until recently.

Two months ago I was exercising as usual, I was finishing BodyAttack 75, and my heart rate was at 155 and was supposed to get even slower as usual, but this time it went up suddenly to 177, I stopped doing the squats I was doing and seated in the floor, waited until it reached 120 or so and resumed the routine, but again, my heart went up, so I stopped completely, change my clothes and rested a little, but I still could feel my heart racing.

The next day I felt completely normal so I tried to continue my normal routine doing a strength dvd, turned on my hrm and found my heart rate at 95 (should have been 86), I started doing squats with weights and my heart raced from 120 to 160, I panicked and stop completely. Next day I tried to do bodycombat and same story, heart rate at 95, started the exercise and it got up to 160.

I thought it may be a case of overtraining, but other than the abnormal heart rate I didn't have any other symptoms, in any case I did a week of yoga instead of my regular routine and went to the cardiologist, who found my heart completely normal, I cut my training sessions to three times a week with moderate exercise instead of high intensity, but this Friday I was doing a dance video and my heart went from 122 to 147 (again I stopped exercising and took a seat) when it shouldn't get past 130.

I checked my hrm with another equipment to see if that was the problem, but found nothing weird :/

So, any of you have any idea of what has happened? I don't know if I should go to another doctor again or do nothing :/

*EDIT: Forgot to add, since the first episode my normal heart rate (not RHR) instead of being 74 is 84-86, which keeps me wondering if I don't have anything bad*

Thanks!

Altiv.-

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Im no expert....but I think thats completely normal. I've had my HR get into the 200's before.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    this happened to me a couple days ago, i wasnt eating frequently enough but HRM (old ones) has done this before and my new one was all fine til I was working out a couple weeks ago and checked my heart rate and HRM was reading 60bpm, of course I freaked out and it shot to 120 then went back to 147bpm i think its just the HRM. But the incident that happened a couple days ago was because I wasnt eating enough or frquently enough.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You might be unconsciously pushing your heart rate up with anxiety... You said you panicked when your heart rate went up the first time, so your brain might be anticipating it happening again and making you anxious which would itself increase your heart rate.

Did you feel out of breath/dizzy/nauseous? Did you have pain or weakness anywhere in your body? If not it could (COULD, I'm no doctor!) just be anxiety. I've been dealing with it lately and I can see the difference on my HRM, but then I already know what my anxiety feels like so I know before I even look that my HRM reading will be high.

If you don't think it's anxiety and it still keeps happening, I would get a second opinion from a different doctor.
  • Altiv
    Options
    Thank you for your quick answers!

I've been thinking it may be anxiety, I'm a extremely anxious person and have had episodes of tachycardia because of it before, but that, I believe,wouldn't explain the first episode or would it? I wasn't stressed out or anxious the days before that I remember :/ in any case, I'm going to keep an eye to how anxious I am when I'm about to exercise ;)

As for other symptoms, the only thing weird besides heart rate that day was that I got sleepy for over an hour, but nothing hurt nor I felt dizzy

And I forgot to add, since that day my regular heart rate has been instead of 74, 84-86, and that's what keeps me wondering if I don't have anything bad =P
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The actual numbers themselves are within normal limits. The significance comes witht the context.

You mention you have been working out with an HRM for a long time. Have you worn the HRM while doing the same types of exercises before? In other words, is the 177 a brand new HR response for the exact same type of exercise you have done before? If you have not done squats before, or have increased the intensity, then it is more likely that the 177 is not significant.

Did you experience symptoms while this was occurring? Lightheadedness, dizziness, inappropriate shortness of breath?

After the first experience, the others (elevated rest HR) could be due to anxiety, as others have stated.

There are instances where even young people can experience a sudden tachycardia. Most of the time it is not serious (and I am not even hinting that that is something you are experiencing--just filling in some background) and it would usually be accompanied by the symptoms listed above.

Since the cardiologist does not seem concerned, I don't see any reason to curtail your activity. Just monitor the numbers. If it persists and you are concerned, you can always try another visit or a 2nd opinion. It is unlikely that what you are experiencing would turn up in a routine office visit. You would have to wear a 24 monitor that recorded every heart beat and then reproduce the symptoms so that the ECG signal could be analyzed.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/get-fit/fitness-tools/target-heart-rate

Absolutely normal. Have a look! Coincidentally, I actually hit 177 today as well! :laugh:

Simply enter your age and gender below to calculate your target heart rate zones.
    Your age: 23

Your heart rate zones:
    Zone name (Target beats per minute)
    Recovery Zone (111 to 131)
    Temperate Zone (131 to 152)
    Aerobic Zone (152 to 172)
    Threshold Zone (172 to 192)
    Redline Zone (192 to 203)
  • Altiv
    Options
    Azdak, thank you for your response, I've been doing that routine since, I believe, November last year, that's why I quickly recognized something was not right with my heart rate, but other than that I haven't had nor felt any other symptom, so I guess I it must be something related to my anxiety problems (as my mom has been trying to tell me since day one, hehe)

I'm going to try to not worry about my heart rate for a while and relax a little and see what happens ;)
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just a couple more questions - are you drinking enough water/fluids before you work out, and in general? Or have you recently changed your hydration routine (even avoiding fluids before hitting the gym to avoid extra bathroom breaks)?

Dehydration can cause fatigue (like the hour you felt extra tired) AND rapid heart rate....usually along with other symptoms that others have already asked about (feeling dizzy or lightheaded, etc.), but you might also feel almost feverish, or tired, or just not quite at the top of your game during your workout.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When is the last time you changed the batteries in the chest strap and the watch? My HRM reads funky numbers when it gets 'hungry'.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If your heart going faster is the ONLY symptom, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you feel dizzy, light headed, short of breath (haha, other than what's normal for the exercise) or ill, then it could be an indicator of something else, such as overtraining.

Still, when's the last time you have a full physical? (I'm not talking just your women's annual, but FULL workup, bloodwork, etc). If it's been more than a couple of years, this may be a good time to go. And if you're still concerned, you can bring it up then.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    One of my gym instructors who teaches 3 classes every day told me that her HR reaches over 200 during some of the classes she teaches. I don't think reaching 170 is anything to worry about!
  • Altiv
    Options
    Just a couple more questions - are you drinking enough water/fluids before you work out, and in general? Or have you recently changed your hydration routine (even avoiding fluids before hitting the gym to avoid extra bathroom breaks)?

Dehydration can cause fatigue (like the hour you felt extra tired) AND rapid heart rate....usually along with other symptoms that others have already asked about (feeling dizzy or lightheaded, etc.), but you might also feel almost feverish, or tired, or just not quite at the top of your game during your workout.

Not that I remember, I usually drink a lot of unsweetened green tea but also a lot of water (like 2 litters daily)
    When is the last time you changed the batteries in the chest strap and the watch? My HRM reads funky numbers when it gets 'hungry'.

I thought that too! I checked yesterday with my brother's hrm but heart rate was the same on both devises, but I'm going to the technical service later this week to get it checked because my hrm is almost four years old and may need some adjustments.
    If your heart going faster is the ONLY symptom, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you feel dizzy, light headed, short of breath (haha, other than what's normal for the exercise) or ill, then it could be an indicator of something else, such as overtraining.

Still, when's the last time you have a full physical? (I'm not talking just your women's annual, but FULL workup, bloodwork, etc). If it's been more than a couple of years, this may be a good time to go. And if you're still concerned, you can bring it up then.

Luckily my last blood exam was two weeks ago from that first episode and all my tests came alright, they were also checked by my doctor who found me better than ever. I also had my heart and blood pressure checked last year and were also ok.

I'm starting to believe that I should stop worrying about my heart unless something else comes as it seems the only one who believes has something wrong is me, hehe =P