leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Someone said that I didn't offer alternatives

Fats
    Eggs
    Salmon and fatty fish
    Avocado
    Coconut oil

Are you aware that coconut oil is 94% SATURATED fat?? Definitely doesn't get the healthy heart tick, although you do buy it from "health food stores"!! In terms of nuts, I agree from a calorie density perspective however nuts such as almonds are actually really good for boosting serotonin levels & on that level can help fight depression - for some people (like me!!) mental health is as important than body health.

[/quote]
  • hlp423
    hlp423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im still laughing at the " anti- nut agenda" comment. : ) I eat a weighed out portion of nuts many days as a snack, but only because i want something snacky. I wouldn't call them a meal replacement, but a candy/junkfood replacement. Although, once I got a good kitchen scale I was kind of sad at the actual serving size of some of the nuts/ trailmixes I enjoy. Still, they are a filling little snack compared to a candy/chips choice.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I agree that nuts are over-rated as a protein source, but they definetly are not over-rated in general.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people recommending nuts as a snack for people who want to bump up their protein intake. Imo this is a poor choice once you realise the volume of fat you need to consume to get a decent serving if protein out of them, and a poor choice for dieters generally.

I think the end of your sentence is more to the point of why folks got annoyed " and a poor choice for dieters generally". That says you feel they are in general a poor choice, hence the reaction to your post. Most would agree as a primary source of protein not good but most would not choose nuts as a primary choice hence they have a place in any food program (I am on a lifestyle change path not a "diet" and I appreciate the antioxidants and oftentimes the fat as I don't consume a lot of fatty meats etc, so sometimes a bit of extra fat in the form of a fairly low risk source instead of fish which must be limited due to a little thing called mercury (I see folks touting salmon all the time) and red meat which I don't particularly care to consume daily, a bit of healthy fat is always welcome.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yeah but I like them...and I've got calories to spare since I've lost a little too much weight...and I'm very active...and they beat the heck out of a bowl of ice cream and some Kellogs Sugar Smacks.

Seriously, though. I love nuts because my normal diet tends to be very lean and I was ending up way under on fat every day.