Protein Shake Recommendations?

Options
Hello! I was wondering what kind of protein shakes you all drink and any recommendations you may have? I normally workout in the morning and then make a fruit smoothie (frozen fruit, 1/2 cup OJ & 1/2 cup lowfat yogurt) for breakfast but I'm wondering if maybe I need to jump on the Protein Shake wagon? I do know that I would want one that you blend, not one that you just mix with milk. What flavors are best? Where do you buy them? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I drink Meijers whey and soy protein. It comes in a powder. Only 125 calories, 25 grams of protein, like 3 carbs, 1 gram of fat. It dont taste good by itself but you can always add it in oatmeal or your smoothie. Muscle milk/ Myoplex---They have a ton of sugar!
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I take the ones from Herbalife. Calories of 220 per shake, I take a combination of their whey and soy protein. The protein comes in 5 flavors, my personal fav is Cappucino. I usually add skim milk, or if you want, you can always blend it with fruits :)
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nitro Core 24. They have many different flavors and taste great not chalky. I use water with mine but you can use it for smoothies and other things like, pudding, etc.

I like the Extreme Cookies and Cream and Carmel Tofee Fudge. There delish. I purchase mine from www.bodybuilding.com.

Here is some info on this protein powder:

The bigger picture of sustained-release protein blends! 10. That's how many strategically-chosen types of protein you will find in every serving of NitroCore 24. From ultra-fast acting, partially hydrolyzed whey proteins to much more slowly-digested micellar casein proteins, NitroCore 24 is a full-spectrum, sustained-release protein blend designed to be used any time of the day or night. In addition to 24 grams of the finest protein per scoop, NitroCore 24 provides 5 grams of hunger-satisfying dietary fiber as well as omega, monounsaturated, and MCT fats for energy and a taste that's creamy and incredibly delicious. And, as you'd expect from ON, NitroCore 24 is instantized to mix easily so you can enjoy it just about everywhere too.

Beyond The Basics
    •24 Grams Of Premium Blended Protein Per Scoop
    •10 Distinct Protein Sources Provide Sustained-Release Action For A.M./P.M. Coverage
    •5 Grams Of Dietary Fiber To Help Keep You Full Longer
    •Lipid Blend Supplies 4 Grams Of Omega 3,6 And 9 Fatty Acids Plus MCT's
    •Enzyme Fortified For Easier Digestion And Absorption
    The Power of 10 Rate of Digestion
    Hydrolyzed Whey Peptides FASTER
    Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Isolate
    Cross-Flow Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate
    Unfiltered Whey Protein Concentrate
    Glutamine Peptides
    Egg Albumen INTERMEDIATE
    Milk Protein Isolate
    Ultrafiltered Milk Protein Concentrate
    Micellar Casein SLOWER
    Calcium Caseinate

Good luck on your search! :drinker:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS whey protein powder. I mix ice (however much you want), with 2 scoops of the protein powder, some fruit, and some soy milk. I typically use the chocolate powder. It's pretty good.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have tried so many different types of protein shakes. Some I can't even get down they are so horrible and others are just okay. I was introduced to Beachbody a few months ago through P90X. I started drinking their Shakelogy Drink. OMG, so good. My husband ask me to make him one every morning.

It's just the powder, soy milk and banana. So easy and it taste so good. I have every morning after my workout and I absolutely love them.

You can read more about it here:
    http://teambeachbody.com/web/shakeology

If you have any questions about the shake please let me know!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I love Muscle Milk! It's the only stuff that I don't have to choke down!
    I use the regular for meal replacements and the Light for recovery.
    I never make my daily protein requirements without it.
    I avoid any soy products because of the estrogen issues and the fact that over 90% of soybeans are now genetically engineered. SHBOSS has a great post on soy.

Becky
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I drink Meijers whey and soy protein. It comes in a powder. Only 125 calories, 25 grams of protein, like 3 carbs, 1 gram of fat. It dont taste good by itself but you can always add it in oatmeal or your smoothie. Muscle milk/ Myoplex---They have a ton of sugar!

Muscle Milk Regular only has 4 grams of sugar per serving and the LIGHT only has 2grams! :wink:
    And it is unbelievably good by itself! It's the ONLY protein I can actually mix with water instead of skim milk! The vanilla creme is amazing...as is the chocolate milk....the mint chocolate chip...the peanut butter chocolate.....and on and on!!! :-)
  • justjack51
    justjack51 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just bought Vanilla EAS Whey Protein 5 lbs bag for $30 at Sams Club. I think the key to a great tasting shake it to take Vanilla and add stuff to it. I am not crazy about just a vanilla shake, but add frozen strawberrys, a few ice chips, and some bananas to it and it tastes great.

We bought a Magic Bullet like mixer (Bella) that works great, makes the shake mixing easy.

The thing I can never seem to get over is how filling these shakes are for so few calories. Its now my go to thing if I eat lunch or dinner and I'm still hungry when I have finished.
  • demezat
    demezat Posts: 158
    Options
    I use Lean Dessert by BSN and I really like it a lot. 150 cal, 3.5 grams of fat, and 8 carbs. plus its ot too expensive. You can get it at GNC. My husband uses Muscle Milk, its really good taste like cake batter LOL but a little too high in calories for my needs. Hope you find what you're looking for.
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I mix the Biggest Loser Whey Vanilla protein powder with O.J., Soy milk, non-fat Greek yogurt and it's SO yummy! :bigsmile:
  • regil
    regil Posts: 8
    Options
    I recommend you Gnc Pro Performance - 100% Whey Protein Powder- Chocolate for a good
    Breakfast with only 130 calories.
  • Margoose38
    Options
    I always thought protein shakes were AWFUL!!! But my nutritionist recently started me on Shaklee and I like it!!!

I have the Chocolate shake with a Banana thrown in every morning and it's yummy!! I couldn't believe it!!

Margaret :wink:
  • SushiBikini
    Options
    Muscle Milk 4 Sure Its The Best Tasting And It Comes In So Many Flavors. Good In Protein And I Even Think They Have A Sale Almost All The Time At GNC Places. Thry It Its Amazing And WORTH IT:happy:
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I use Syntha-6. The Chocolate MIlkshake is SO friggin good. It really is like drinking a chocolate milkshake. Mmm.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I use Gensoy Protein Powder mix (chocolate is my favorite). It has a decent amount protein 170 calories per scoop and alot of vitamins. I mix mine with 8oz. of soy or rice milk.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm hoping to jump on Shakeology soon since it contains so much more than protein.

For now, I'm making a smoothie every morning before I workout using Tight Curves protein powder Vanilla flavour (it's 90 cals, 14g protein, 4g fat and 4 carbs). I mix with a cup of almond milk and a cup of fresh of frozen straberries. Yummy !

And... a few months ago, I thought it was being a little ridicoulus to take those protein powders. But I gave it a try and for me it really makes a huge difference in my energy level during my workout (otherwise I'd eat a banana or a yogourt). I'm have difficulties consuming enough protein so this extra 14g comes handy.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...