How to measure??

Options
Does anyone have any good websites or references for ways to measure your food??

If it isnt pre-packaged I dont know how to estimate how many ounces, grams, etc I am eating...and I want to be as accurate as I can.

Thanks!!

Replies

• jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to find this extremely frustrating as well. I had to buy a kitchen scale. The one I have will weigh your food in grams or pounds and if you want to weigh it on a plate or in a bowl you can weigh the dish and then zero the scale back off to zero so that it will only weigh the food and not the dish you have it in. If a recipe calls for something in ounces what I'll do is just look up the conversion on google. For instance if a recipe calls for 16 oz of chicken I google "ounces to grams" and you can input 16 ounces and it will give you the number of grams. i then weigh the chicken on my scale to see how many grams it is. you should be able to buy one at Walmart. I use the Salter Electronic kitchen scale - it's around $25.
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/salter.htm
  • queleb
    queleb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I measure with measuring cups/spoons, and I bought a food scale. I also use www.recipe.sparkpeople.com to calculate recipes I make at home.
  • kettelson15
    Options
    Corrine Nester has a book -- Complete list of food counts (I think that is the name). I bought one at Amazon.com for really cheap and it counts everything. I also use a scale to measure everything, even things that have a quantity as measure. Weight is much more accurate.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I measure mostly with a scale, just remember 28.34 grams in an ounce. I have noticed that even with prepackaged stuff that one cup doesnt always match up with the grams and that you get a more accurate portion if you weigh it as opposed to using a cup measurement, its usually less but way more accurate. As far as making recipes at home, I pull everything in one by one.
  • halfacerk
    Options
    http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/wwtidbits.html

This is dotties weightloss zone its awesome hope this helps helped me!!!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap scale at Walmart and it's just fine. They have digital and one with a cup to measure. I think they're both approx. $10.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I have this issue as well. I have measuring cups and spoons but want to buy an electronic scale. I'm assuming that all liquids are measured in the cups and spoons and food itself it measure on the scale? I know 8oz (1 cup) of milk in a measuring cup is not the same as 8oz (1/2 lb) chicken on a scale, correct? I feel so dumb :ohwell: