Anyone around the Charlotte, NC area??

Options
JessicaT2007
JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
We (my husband, dog, and me) are possibly moving to the area and we are wondering the places we should look at for houses. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Replies

• dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    Yep!! I live about 30 minutes outside of charlotte! :) Are you looking to move to Charlotte or somewhere outside of it?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i dont live in charlotte, but do a ton of research..we learned the hard way by not asking questions, that we ended up in the "ghetto" in columbia, sc..best of luck
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm in Mooresville, NC so about 20 minutes north of Charlotte. I LOVE it! I've thought about actually moving to Charlotte proper so have been doing some research myself.

I noticed you're in Midlothian, TX. Are you looking for a similar suburb type of atmosphere (what I know of it... I used to work for Target's distrubution network and there is one in Midlothian!). So tell me, are you looking for family based areas? Do you need to be close to lots of activities or prefer the suburbs or even farm town life? Do you have a job lined up already? Prefer short commutes or it doesn't matter? There are lots of options all within 30 minutes of the area! Let us know and I'll be happy to suggest somethings. I've got friends everywhere in the area so there should be lots of options for you too!
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    pm
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I'm in Mooresville, NC so about 20 minutes north of Charlotte. I LOVE it! I've thought about actually moving to Charlotte proper so have been doing some research myself.

I noticed you're in Midlothian, TX. Are you looking for a similar suburb type of atmosphere (what I know of it... I used to work for Target's distrubution network and there is one in Midlothian!). So tell me, are you looking for family based areas? Do you need to be close to lots of activities or prefer the suburbs or even farm town life? Do you have a job lined up already? Prefer short commutes or it doesn't matter? There are lots of options all within 30 minutes of the area! Let us know and I'll be happy to suggest somethings. I've got friends everywhere in the area so there should be lots of options for you too!

Yea definitely! I can help too because I am from the Monroe area, which is 30 minutes east of Charlotte. So between the two of us, we can recommend some nice places. :)
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    My husband has a job already lined up and we will be basing our living situation on his job and then I will look for jobs once we are settled.
    His job will be in Mooresville! We are wanting to keep the commute to about 30 minutes, max. A place like Midlothian would be nice, but it is a little more remote than we want. I don't want farm life, but need a family friendly place so we can start a family there. We like to stay active on the weekends and need to be around that stuff too. We are looking for a nice, newer homes, like not older than the year 2000 or so.
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    i dont live in charlotte, but do a ton of research..we learned the hard way by not asking questions, that we ended up in the "ghetto" in columbia, sc..best of luck

This is what we want to avoid, for sure! :smile: Thank you!
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I know from my experience that Ballantyne is really nice. I think it's a little farther away from Mooresville, maybe 45 minutes, but they always have stuff going on, and people are constantly walking their dogs, running, etc. Most of the neighborhoods that I know of are on Rea Road, if you are interested. There's tons of shopping! They have two Targets within two miles, Trader Joes right down the road, Earth Fare one exit farther on 485, and speaking of which, 485 is awesome because it connects to both 85 and 77. Lake Norman is also really nice, but i don't know as much about that area, but it's closer to Mooresville. :)
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am way north of Charlotte, almost at the Virginia border, but welcome to NC!!!
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Well, as great as Charlotte is, working in Mooresville means it'll be EASIER to live in the north side (Lake Norman communities as dinosky mentioned). The commute up (or down) the 77 is a bear so the closer you can be to avoid it, the better. That said, there are a TON of awesome communities south of Mooresville but nearby that are trendy, but still family friendly. Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson are my faves... and where I would have chosen had my commute not already been 40 minutes northwest of Mooresville. Huntersville sounds like the best fit because it's just on the north side of Charlotte so you'd be close enough to a lot of great things.

Mooresville itself is not bad... you just want to watch where in Mooresville. Lowes Home Improvement Corporate HQ is there so it's caused a ton of new development and great shops. It's very spilt.... the old side east of 77 and the newer side west of 77. I'm a snob and live on the west side and LOVE it. I go into Charlotte all the time from here in under 25 minutes. I can walk to every restaurant I might want and take my dog for walks/ runs regularly, running into all my neighbors at the dog park. It's a transient area so people are welcoming.

If you were willing to drive more than 30, Ballantyne is definitely great. Dilworth is growing on me as it's growing up. Still some areas not developed but a lot of great trendy new areas too. Definitely let me know if you have questions... I'd be happy to help! Good Luck!
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    Wow, thank you guys so much! I will look into those cities and ask questions as I know more. I am sure we will be working with a real estate agent also since we will probably be doing most of this while still in Texas..... yikes!
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    No problem! I'll check this regularly and see if I can help out more too. I'm on the east side of Charlotte, and Monroe is okay. I wouldn't recommend it if you want a lot of activities. It's kinda boring here, (even though we are growing) but Monroe has it's issues. North Charlotte is very nice though! Huntersville and Cornelius are both very nice. My best friend's mom is an artist and they go up that way all the time to display artwork. It's really nice!
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I live in Monroe, NC.

I was going to suggest, if you were going to be around the south east area that Indian Trail is the up and coming and fastest growing city. There are alot of really nice homes and schools and churches. Which Union County has some of the best schools in NC. and was Nationally ranked high a few years ago.

Since your husband will be working in Mooresvile. I would suggest to look in Cornelius or Huntersville. Stay away from Statesville, NC. The rush hour traffic on 77 is the worst I have seen in my life. I have lived in large cities like Denver, CO and Dallas Fort Worth area. That is nothing compared to I-77 north of Charlotte. If there is just one minor traffic accident it will be backed up for +10-15 miles for at least 3-5 hours. So I would suggest to find a residence that you could take some back or side roads that would avoid I-77 at all cost!!

It is very beautiful around the Lake Norman area. It is upper middle class to upper range of very expensive homes. There is not a ghetto in that area.

Best Wishes to you and I wish you a safe and joyous transition to your new home in North Carolina.

Be Blessed in Health, Healing and Wholeness! †

Valarie aka VirtuousVal
  • MayeNesh
    MayeNesh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I work in Charlotte, NC during weekdays (Mon-Thursday) and while there I live in the Dillworth area here across from CMC. I fly out every Thursday night to Orlando FL which is where I actually live. With this crazy schedule is very difficult to maintain the weight off and stick to a diet. I'm doing Jenny Craig plus the FitBit and have lost 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. The weight is coming off, slowly but surely. Would love to add friends from the Charlotte area. I need Motivation!!
    Maye
  • Ash2234
    Ash2234 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in Charlotte but in the Myers Park Area. Kind of center city. My dad just moved from Mooresville to north Charlotte. They loved Mooresville (were on the lake) but the traffic up there is terrible! Just an FYI if you are thinking of finding a job closer to Charlotte your commute will be long. That's why they moved. He works in Charlotte and couldn't take the drive anymore. They just moved to Highland Creek which is about half way between Mooresville and Charlotte. It's a great community and is about half way between the two. There are pools, walking trails and playgrounds. Also Davis Lake is pretty a nice community you could check out.
  • hmp1130
    hmp1130 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in Charlotte... I live in Ayrsley, right on the border of SC. :)
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm not much aside from a Welcome. I'm up in the NC mountains near Asheville.

JM
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I live in Ballantyne Southeast Charlotte. :) I have lived on every side but west of Charlotte and I found this to be the place to buy a home. I love it.
  • MrsCinderella
    MrsCinderella Posts: 4
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If anyone wants to work out with us, please join our group (women only)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104955-north-carolina-women