For those with heart rate monitors?

Options
How many calories do you burn during, say, a 30 minute workout with weights? I'm wondering because I just finished a strength training video (with light weights) that had me huffing and puffing and sweating more than my cardio ever does (I have fibromyalgia, and my muscles are pretty weak). MFP says I buned 188 cals. in 30 mins, but when I do my aerobics, I burn more than double that. What do you think?

PS...I know many people think working out with light weights does little to nothing, so please don't leave a comment like that. :tongue:

Replies

• Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    ITs usually not alot. less than what this site says. I did the 30 day shred level 1 the other am and only burned 150 cals. So I dont know I guess? lol I think its less than what it says though. when I lift ( and its heavy weights ) in about 35 mins I burn about 110. Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tami. :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is not going to be a consistent response. In theory, there is somewhat of an inverse relationship between resistance and aerobics. By that I mean that the higher the resistance of an exercise, the lower the cardiovascular effect--regardless of heart rate response.

The increased heart rate that occurs with aerobic exercise is due to an increase in cardiac output, i.e. volume of blood pumped by the heart. The increased heart rate that occurs with heavier resistance training is due more to changes in thoracic pressure and thus is not associated with an increase in cardiac output.

Anything in between, is going to be a combination of both. Given the relatively low resistance of lighter weights, chances are you are burning more calories that a table would give you for strength training, but not as much as an HRM will register based on heart rate.

I know that dealing with fibro can be a challenge--hopefully this routine will give you some positive benefits.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks A. :smile:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I burn just about the same as you, with only weights. I was surprised. But think about it - it's not aerobic. You're not using as much oxygen; however, the burn with weights, from what I've read, stays longer.