does Low Carb cause Low Energy? advice needed.

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why does low carb have hard limits, like 50g or 20g carbs, rather than a percentage of calorie intake or a limit relative to the person's mass?

saying 20 grams is faster than saying 5 or 10% of calories eaten! haha. it's a fair point.

800 cals puts me at exactly 20 grams of carbs.
    Woah- your total cals is 800? I'm not going to derail this thread by nagging you about VLCD, but how do you know the low carb is working rather than the super low-calories?

P.S. There are days I eat more than 800 cals of carbs! haha.
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Why does low carb have hard limits, like 50g or 20g carbs, rather than a percentage of calorie intake or a limit relative to the person's mass?

saying 20 grams is faster than saying 5 or 10% of calories eaten! haha. it's a fair point.

Woah- your total cals is 800? I'm not going to derail this thread by nagging you about VLCD, but how do you know the low carb is working rather than the super low-calories?

i thought the same thing too..but don't want to nag on you for eating so low calories. unless you are a tiny person, i don't believe that is very healthy. But seriously...i'm in no place to nag. As long as you are feeling good and not starving all day long.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

i thought the same thing too..but don't want to nag on you for eating so low calories. unless you are a tiny person, i don't believe that is very healthy. But seriously...i'm in no place to nag. As long as you are feeling good and not starving all day long.
    Really truly, I'm not trying to pick that fight. I've read enough of Cara's posts to know that she isn't blindly choosing VLCD unaware of potential consequences. I just want to know how you differentiate that the results are from the low-carb rather than the low-cal.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was on low-carb not for weight-loss but for medical reasons. I did lose weight, but it also made me tired and a little foggy. And I went far beyond the 3 week-mark, I kept it up for months.

When I was better (allergies and a horrible yeast-infection sorted out) I started on a low-glycemic index diet. This worked like a wonder, and I lost a lot of weight without the issues I had on the very strict, initial low-carb diet.

I am not saying low-carb is bad - it worked after all, and I know people it worked much better for. What I am saying is: It was not the right thing for me in order to lose weight, and I feel a lot better on a diet with "slow carbs" - that is food with a low glycemic index, where the carbs are released slowly into the blood-stream. It helps me maintain a regular blood-sugar, keeps me from getting too hungry, and keeps me from craving snacks that adds up. It also gives me the energy to work out.

When that's said: 800 calories a day is not a lot. If that's what you maintain, you'll be tired just from being hungry. That's perfectly normal.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

i don't count calories. so the number there means nothing to me.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    For 5 days now I've been very mindful of how many carbs I am eating. MFP puts my limit at 260g a day. I heard recently that I should be at 50 a day for fat loss. so 5 days now, working on the 50g of carbs a day and today I've just had no energy. I am usually full of energy and ready to tackle my day, but this morning I didn't want to get off the couch. I finally did but spent the day sluggish. Does this have anything to do with the carb decrease and if so will it subside after my body adjusts? Thanks everyone for your advice!

A reasonable deficit of calories in general will cause fat loss.

However, in response to the question of energy levels, someone actually doing low carb would be best to respond about the effects as it does seem to affect people differently. From an energy level perspective, it seems to work for some and not for others. It also depends on whether you are doing endurance type exercise or not. IMO, if you want to keep trying low carb I would get the imput of people that have gone to low carb regarding how long you have to wait for energy levels to get back up, if at all. If it ends up not being for you, just go back to medium/high carb and keep to a calorie deficit. To get the apparent benefits (and imo these are actually short term) you need to stay low pretty much all the time so you need to determine if this is something you can stick to all the time.

On a related point, MFP generally defaults to settings that are too low for fat and protein imo. When/if you up these, your carb threshold will have to go down.

I believe that if we eat moderate protein and fat while in a deficit, there is little room for high carbohydrate. Protein is important for just about everything physical about. Fat is important for hormones. Carbohydrate is important for? I really don't think it is good for much of anything outside of intense activity.

"This is my opinion. It's just advice. Do what ever the **** you wana do!" -The Hodge Twins.

I am quite aware of what you think. I personally think carbohydrates are good for MY energy levels and for ME enjoying my food. Lets not derail the thread. I did not tell the OP what to do and in fact I suggested that if they wanted to go that route, to actually pay attention to people who had.

I'm one of said suggested people. Everything you and I said is relevant. I don't see how this is "derailing".

OP, low carb is hard to start but rewarding in the long run. I think "low" carb is probably 50g or less. Moderate is about 100 to 150g. High would be 150g+. That's for me at 6'1" large frame about 180lbs of LBM. I like to keep it below 100. You can probably extrapolate what works for you.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Those limits are for people who are actively trying for ketosis. Cut out the starches and don't use the diet low carb products and your carbs are going to easily be under a 100g with out even trying which is great for weight loss.

For myself, I started out at just trying to keep my carbs under a 100g (for the health benefits) but it wasn't until I lowered them to around 50g a day that the nagging hunger, cravings and need to overeat went away. I'll eventually try and increase my carbs again to see if whatever was wrong corrected itself but it hasn't yet so a percentage wouldn't work for me. But there are people who set their carbs at 20% - 30% and do very well with it. Low carb is extremely flexible for a restrictive diet -- there's lots of different approaches that fall under the low carb umbrella.
  • Fauxzombie
    Options
    As someone on a ketogenic diet, no. I eat under 20g of carbs a day and my energy level has been better than before. I've actually found that my energy level is more stable and I don't wear out as easily.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Those limits are for people who are actively trying for ketosis. Cut out the starches and don't use the diet low carb products and your carbs are going to easily be under a 100g with out even trying which is great for weight loss.

For myself, I started out at just trying to keep my carbs under a 100g (for the health benefits) but it wasn't until I lowered them to around 50g a day that the nagging hunger, cravings and need to overeat went away. I'll eventually try and increase my carbs again to see if whatever was wrong corrected itself but it hasn't yet so a percentage wouldn't work for me. But there are people who set their carbs at 20% - 30% and do very well with it. Low carb is extremely flexible for a restrictive diet -- there's lots of different approaches that fall under the low carb umbrella.
    OK. I get that they're for ketosis, but I still don't quite get exactly where the hard-and-fast numbers come from. Could you explain a bit further? (Assume I'm a complete dullard)
  • clobercow
    Options

OK. I get that they're for ketosis, but I still don't quite get exactly where the hard-and-fast numbers come from. Could you explain a bit further? (Assume I'm a complete dullard)

I think they are just general guidelines based on results from others. Most people stay in ketosis when below 50g. Some stay in ketosis below 100g. Each person is different.
  • caraiselite
    Options

i believe the 20 grams of carbs number comes from the atkins book.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Because you need to lower your glucose levels and deplete your glycogen stores before you'll enter ketosis and for most people anything under 50g will do that over the course of a few days. Is that what you mean?

ETA:
    Your glucose levels need to be low because that's when your body will produce ketones.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    here's a wiki on keto. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
    i think it's cool because until i googled it for someone on here, i never realized it was in use for epilepsy and diabetes since the 1920s!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    For 5 days now I've been very mindful of how many carbs I am eating. MFP puts my limit at 260g a day. I heard recently that I should be at 50 a day for fat loss. so 5 days now, working on the 50g of carbs a day and today I've just had no energy. I am usually full of energy and ready to tackle my day, but this morning I didn't want to get off the couch. I finally did but spent the day sluggish. Does this have anything to do with the carb decrease and if so will it subside after my body adjusts? Thanks everyone for your advice!

However, in response to the question of energy levels, someone actually doing low carb would be best to respond about the effects as it does seem to affect people differently. From an energy level perspective, it seems to work for some and not for others. It also depends on whether you are doing endurance type exercise or not. IMO, if you want to keep trying low carb I would get the imput of people that have gone to low carb regarding how long you have to wait for energy levels to get back up, if at all. If it ends up not being for you, just go back to medium/high carb and keep to a calorie deficit. To get the apparent benefits (and imo these are actually short term) you need to stay low pretty much all the time so you need to determine if this is something you can stick to all the time.

On a related point, MFP generally defaults to settings that are too low for fat and protein imo. When/if you up these, your carb threshold will have to go down.

I believe that if we eat moderate protein and fat while in a deficit, there is little room for high carbohydrate. Protein is important for just about everything physical about. Fat is important for hormones. Carbohydrate is important for? I really don't think it is good for much of anything outside of intense activity.

"This is my opinion. It's just advice. Do what ever the **** you wana do!" -The Hodge Twins.

I am quite aware of what you think. I personally think carbohydrates are good for MY energy levels and for ME enjoying my food. Lets not derail the thread. I did not tell the OP what to do and in fact I suggested that if they wanted to go that route, to actually pay attention to people who had.

I'm one of said suggested people. Everything you and I said is relevant. I don't see how this is "derailing".

OP, low carb is hard to start but rewarding in the long run. I think "low" carb is probably 50g or less. Moderate is about 100 to 150g. High would be 150g+. That's for me at 6'1" large frame about 180lbs of LBM. I like to keep it below 100. You can probably extrapolate what works for you.

Now that seems to be a more helpful answer to the OPs question. I didnt quite get how your original response to my post was.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    but now my body is so used to it, i go in and out and don't even notice.

I've noticed this, too! With my body, that is!

Before, I'd get the dreaded lethargy but now if I go a day without carbs, I function fine.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    i think it's cool because until i googled it for someone on here, i never realized it was in use for epilepsy and diabetes since the 1920s!
    Ketogenic has been around since the 1920's...

Treatment of epilepsy with low carb intakes has been an ongoing effort. There's also some studies going on right now with lower carb intakes and autism patients as well.

Diabetics have been directed by their physicians to do a lower carb intake for decades....and the mere mention of "low carb" puts everyone in a frenzy but they dont stop to think about that at all... ****ugh
  • Nadie4444
    Nadie4444 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My daily goal according to MFPis 220grams. Reading your posts, mine seem very high! I exercise alot, but why are yours so low? I'm starting to worry now. I'm 5foot 7inches and my weight 123pounds.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Treatment of epilepsy with low carb intakes has been an ongoing effort. There's also some studies going on right now with lower carb intakes and autism patients as well.

Diabetics have been directed by their physicians to do a lower carb intake for decades....and the mere mention of "low carb" puts everyone in a frenzy but they dont stop to think about that at all... ****ugh
    Low carb diets are the direction a lot of current cancer research is heading in as well.

http://www.nmsociety.org/low-carb-research.html
  • clobercow
    Options

Now that seems to be a more helpful answer to the OPs question. I didnt quite get how your original response to my post was.

The irony.

Low carb is a sure way to go for people developing insulin insensitivity.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Just need to put in the obligatory, "Most people don't need to drastically cut carbs to lose weight."

Lowering carbohydrate intake in general is helpful for people at a calorie deficit because 300 calories of chicken is a lot more filling than 300 calories of bread and pasta.

Also, there are a number of medical conditions that cause weight gain that respond well to a low-carb diet. These include diabetes, hypothyroidism, PCOS, and others.

Furthermore, if you want a visible six-pack, you need to get rid of carbs, which is why professional models and bodybuilders only have six-pack at photoshoot and competition time.