For newbies, I hope this helps you.

Options
I know that when I first started, I didn't know where to start. Someone emailed me asking for help with weight loss, and this was my reply. I am copying and pasting it here, in the hopes it helps someone else. It's not extremely detailed, but simple enough, and people may go and do their own research if they like ^_^

How did I do it?

I came across a fantastic calorie tracking app called MyFitnessPal. I downloaded it and started tracking my calories. By sticking to it, at least 97% of the time, the weight started to fall off.

How long did it take?

I started my weight loss journey on the 13th March 2012, so about four and a half months. I stalled for about a month, though.

How do I burn calories without working out?

Basically, your body burns calories all the time. Even when you're sleeping. After all, calories are basically units of energy, and the body needs them to run itself. You will burn calories even in a coma, which is referred to as your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). Your BMR is dependent on many factors; age, gender, height, weight, health, individual body etc. Then there is something called your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Because most of us aren't in a coma, we burn more than our BMR. We move around, even if we don't exercise. So your TDEE will be higher, usually around 2000 calories for most females.

NOW.

To lose weight, you need to create a deficit. 1lb of fat is equal to roughly 3500 calories. A deficit of 500, per day, totals up to 3500 calories, leading you to lose 1lb a week. You can create the deficit through a combination of exercise and diet, exercise or just diet. The problem with just exercising without changing your diet is you'd have to burn 500 calories every day, which is not easy, or very safe. So most people find it easier to create a moderate deficit through their diet, and the rest with exercise. I am lazy, so I just create the deficit through my diet. I eat 1560 calories a day, and I lose between 1lb-2.5lbs a week.

There are online calculators you can use to find out your TDEE, then you just subtract 500 calories (or like 300 if you're willing to burn off 200 calories through exercise per day), and eat that amount of calories;

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

But don't be afraid to tweak it. I got hung up on these calculators and confused about how much I should be eating. Many people also try to eat too little calories (you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day), or just 1200 calories, which is very difficult. I lost all this eating 1650 calories, and now 1560 calories. It can be done ^_^

Weight loss is easy, the hard part is sticking to it. There have been times I wanted, so bad, to give up. But I didn't, I stuck to it. As long as you jump back on the wagon every time you fall off, and don't give up, you will achieve your goal. And don't expect a quick fix. I got fat over 3 or 4 years, and it's taken me 4 and a half months to lose most of it, and will probably take another 3 or so to lose the rest. The slower you lose it, the more likely you are to keep it off, IMO.

I hope this helps and good luck! If there's anything you're confused about, or have questions about, ask away ;)

Replies