My first mud run!

Options
I'm signed up for my first mud run [first race of any kind for that matter] which is at the end of September. Any advice on training for it? I'm currently running, working on distance while trying to maintain the same pace. I'm up to 4.5mi more or less depending on the day. i have p90x and jillian videos i do once in a while. any help with training would be great! thanks!

Replies

• reagansmom05
    Options
    anyone?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Dont wear white shoes.....or any shoes you expect to ever use for anything ever again.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Once you do one, you will be hooked!! They are sooo much fun!!! Before I can try and offer any help, what's the name of your mud run? Distance?
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Get ready to be addicted. Also, duct tape your shoes on and have fun!
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! Merrell Mud Run in NY! I am looking forward to some of the comments for this one...
  • skrentz
    skrentz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    SO fun, Idid Warrior Dash last year and LOVED it. What a great day. I never really trained for it. I ran a bit. If you can get through the distance normally, the fun will pull you through most of it! My only advice- go play on a playground and get used to being so dirty it takes multiple showers to get you clean. Also wear clothes you don't intend to keep loving.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one as well. That's what got me on this site. Got a team going and we're doing costumes (ninja turtles) I've never done any kind of anything like this since high school. I'm interested to see what people have to say! I've heard many things between you won't run the full distance and there's sometimes a hold up at obstacles, and I've heard it's just a total blast.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first Warrior Dash NEXT July, so I too am interested in any tips from experienced mud-runners!
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Is there a mud run website? I think it would be a lot of fun & would like to see if there is one in WY
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    it's the Goodwill Mud Run in SC (http://greenvillemudrun.org/)
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MUDRUNS!

* Wear tennis shoes that have deep treads for traction if you have them, but make sure you won't plan to wear them ever again (except to other mud runs).
    * Wear old clothes that you can just trash after your shower (who wants to drag dripping muddy clothes home?)

* They normally have a baggage check where you can check a bag with your change of clothes, cell phones, money, keys etc. Make sure you also pack the following items...
    - an old large towel
    - a trash bag (if you plan on draggin clothes or shoes home)
    - baby wipes, A LOT (the firehose shower WILL NOT remove all the mud/yuck)
    - a couple bandages/antiseptic cream or spray (You will have cuts on your arms/legs)
    - a ballcap, you won't be able to wash your hair - so throwing a cap on is easier
    - a change of shoes. We usually take flipflops.

Also grab a couple shower liners from the dollar store, they are perfect to protect your car seats.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    Options
    As far as the training - you can go to the Warrior Dash website and print their training guide, although we just follow our normal workout agendas.

Not sure about your race, but there were a lot of people who walked the entire Warrior Dash. They did the obstacles and everything, but they weren't going for a fastest time - they just wanted to finish.

Depends on what you want to acheive.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Not the mud run I was thinking off, but have fun! :) hahaha :) I was thinking Mud Slinging 4x4's! :)
  • efokken
    efokken Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing sprint intervals on the treadmill to train for the hills... the terrance is what will get cha...
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    Upper body strength would definitely come in handy for climbing walls / ropes. Other than that a pair of shoes with tread would be the next best thing I could recommend. I bought a pair of inov-8's specifically for the mud runs. I just throw them in the wash after each run.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Toughmudder also has some training guides on it's site. I did my first warrior dash in June and it was great. I mostly ran and did the circut training I found on toughmudder.com and I was fine... incredibly dirty...but i made it:)
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whoop!!!!!!!!!! Have fuN!!

Doing my first Mud Run in two weeks! Can't wait!
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    Options
    Upper body strength would definitely come in handy for climbing walls / ropes. Other than that a pair of shoes with tread would be the next best thing I could recommend. I bought a pair of inov-8's specifically for the mud runs. I just throw them in the wash after each run.

Intriging... I wear Adidas trail shoes that have deep treads similar to the one you mention.

My problem is the smell after the mud runs. I washed the shoes in a bucket of water to get the initial gunk off, then in the washing machine 5+times and they still smell like mud. (Now I live in Texas so mud generally equals sand and cow**** lol) I've never been able to get the smell out, so these shoes are only worn in mudruns.

I'll definitely have to check those out!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would find out if the course is uphill or flat. I did dirty girl and it was almost all uphill in MN! I got my butt handed to me on that course. I had been doing p90x, turbokick and zumba plus jog/walks. The event wasn't timed, so I wasn't worried, only 5k, however I wish I had ran and practiced more uphill to get my calves prepared.

If it isn't uphill I would work on running off course in a variety of grounds. Grassy, rooty rutted. Try in a field if possible :) It was slick/muddy in some places and had some uneven sides with the big puddle in the middle.

Grab some wetwipes for when you change! Even with a quick rinse, there are places mud will still be! I felt so good wiping even just my face. Have something easy to change into too, there was a big tent everyone changed in and you never know what to expect (well, you could talk to a veteran runner I guess?)
    Plan to donate your shoes too or spend lots of cleaning, my clothes will never be the same. Some ladies had disposible cameras in a bag they had pinned to their shirt and I was jealous! Others had spiked shoes and also, jealous :) The whole thing was a blast, wish I had more pics!
  • kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    Oh, they are fun and don't worry about keeping a consistant pace, the courses are crowded, and you'll wait at some obstacles. Make sure you're comfortable running/walking the distance though. Upper body strength and balance will help.. Run a balance beam and climb the monkey bars (Do pull-ups) if you can. The race is so much fun you won't notice how hard you're working :)