Plese help! How to make salad more interesting??

Options
2»

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Pickled garlic, capers, olives, roasted red peppers and jalapenos are my favourite additions at the moment.
  • bberg0521
    bberg0521 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Changing up the dressings helps me the most.
    Try adding either raisins or dried cranberries to your salad, it gives it a nice little kick, Also try adding Black Pepper or Mrs Dash,
    Avocados, etc.

I never thought of Mrs. Dash. Great idea.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Todays Lunch:

Salsa Chicken (chicken with salsa cooked in crock pot and shredded)
    salad mix with a little fresh spinach added
    some avocado
    greek yogurt instead of sour cream

No dressing needed and tons of protein, yum!
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try adding either raisins or dried cranberries to your salad, it gives it a nice little kick, Also try adding Black Pepper or Mrs Dash,
    Avocados, etc.

What's Mrs Dash???
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a bag of cheap stir fry veg (cabbage, carrott, peppers, beansprouts) or coleslaw mix and make a dressing out of soy sauce, lime juice, chilli, rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar/splenda. Add chopped mint & coriander and add prawns/ chicken/ beef or pork.

2. Peel 1 courgette (zuchinni) into ribbons with a veg peeler and dress with olive oil, lemon juice, 1/2 a chopped chilli, black pepper and parmesan shavings and rocket (arugula). Add some torn fresh basil leaves and prawns or chicken. Add some peas or broad beans for extra green yumminess.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Avocados, etc.

What's Mrs Dash???

I think it is a US spice brand?
  • HazelCaz
    HazelCaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I made 30 different salads and took a picture of them each day and posted them on facebook. There is an amazing amount of variety you can try.
    Greek Salad with olives, tomato, feta, red onion
    Spinach Salad with turkey bacon, hard-boiled egg, tomato, fresh mushrooms
    Waldorf Salad on a bed of greens with Apples, celery and walnuts, tossed in vanilla yogurt
    Chicken Chopped Salad with all the leftover bits of veggies in your fridge
    Italian Seasoned Tofu, pepperoni, and artichoke hearts over spinach. (bread tofu in italian seasoned breadcrumbs and saute)
    Chicken Salad with Red grapes over greens tossed with fresh raspberries and raspberry poppyseed dressing
    Broccoli Slaw with leftover chicken, dried cranberries and slivered almonds with poppyseed dressing
    Fresh Mozzarella and sliced tomatoes, fresh basil drizzled in Balsamic Vinegar

Mixed Greens topped with Grilled Honey/Garlic Shrimp, grilled yellow squash, carrot, cucumber, baby corn, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, and water chestnuts. Drizzled with Peanut Dressing and sprinkled with a few peanuts

Mixed greens, seasoned chicken, red grapes, cubed pear, dried blue berries, and pecans and gorgonzola cheese. Dressing is the Gorgonzola Pear Vinegrette.

Taco Salad with ground turkey, avocado, etc.

Coleslaw is seasoned with fresh lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper (marinated overnight). Thin-sliced a leftover grilled porkchop and toss it lightly in some barbecue sauce. Garnished with some red onion.

Mixed baby greens topped with cubed mango, cucumber, grapes, red onion, and sliced strawberries. Homemade dressing is made in the blender with strawberries, oil, vinegar and a bit of honey. Garnished with sweetened pecans.

Orzo Pasta tossed with fresh lemon juice and olive oil. Oven roasted veggies: eggplant, yellow and red peppers, red onion and garlic. Cubed feta cheese, scallions, pinenuts, and fresh basil.

Crab Salad made with chopped crab, cucumber, black olives, tomatoes, mayo and sour cream, sprinkled with a little dill. Served on a bed of baby greens tossed in fat free Sweet Vidalia Onion dressing.

Romaine and Spinach base, topped with chicken tossed in low fat mayo and curry, cubed avocado, dried cranberries, red onion and sprinkled with pecans. Lite Raspberry Walnut vinegrette for the dressing.

Shrimp Caesar Salad

I think you MORE than get the picture. The combinations are endless. Hope you try a few.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Texture...add something crunchy. I prefer to eat raw cabbage and spinach mixed with various veggies. For extra flavor? Dump the dressing and add salsa instead. YUM!!!!