Struggling on the Treadmill.........

racermom
racermom Posts: 36
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I am a "newbie" runner, I REALLY LOVE IT! The fresh morning air, the fresh smells and the sunshine on my face. I really struggle to run on my treadmill. I don't feel that I can run as long or enjoy it as much. With the winter months approaching, I was wondering what anyone else might do to stay motivated and focused on the treadmill? I rock out my ipod with inspiring music but still.............................. Any suggestions?????????????

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I put a movie or the tv on closed caption and run to that. I also play mind games with myself. At each mile I'll turn the fan up or get a drink or something like that.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    I agree about the TV, that helps a lot to be able to watch something while working out. And I also play mind games. You can run faster for a song and slow down for another, just change up the pace at the beginning of each song or every two songs, which ever. It all works well! As long as you change the speed or incline (if you have it) throughout your workout, it keeps it from being as boring.
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Unfortunatly I have no suggestions. I am in the same boat as you! Even though its be semi nice out here its dark by 5pm....so I have been on the treadmill....its so boring...but I like the results...the only thing that keeps me going.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Stay away from the treadmill, and buy winter running gear.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    I am also a "newbie runner" but have only done so on the treadmill. I do a lot of intervals and have recently started the Couch to 5K program as a guide to intervals. I also crank the iPod, watch workout videos (crazy, I know!) or keep a fitness magazine on the front. Watching movies or favorite tv shows also helps because nothing will drive me crazy as fast as watching the displays on the treadmill the whole time!

Good luck and stick with it!
  • Yes, I either run/walk to music on my mp3 player or on the computer media player or run on treadmill while I'm watching TV.When I'm watching or listening to something,the workout seems to go by quicker that way!Best of luck!!!javascript:add_smiley('bigsmile','post_body')
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member

This is what I am doing. :tongue: Unless it is hailing outside, I will be out there running.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    I do enjoy running but I can totally relate to the treadmill blues!!! When my husband is in town we suck it up and dress warm and head outside but when he's gone I'm stuck with my buddy the treadmill.

I found that if I switch up the speed it keeps me motivated. So for example what you could do is:

5 min warm up
    2 min at 6.0mph
    2 min at 6.1 mph
    2 min at 6.2 mph
    2 min at 6.1
    2 min at 6.0
    1 min walk break

Repeat

The walk break mentally helps me keep it together and I can run for a lot longer. You could do the same thing with the incline.
  • Stay away from the treadmill, and buy winter running gear.
    Sounds like a great idea also make sure you can be seen in the dark.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    I know exactly what u mean I used to hate the treadmill but now I'm getting used to it by doing HIIT.

here's an example

(I haven't done it yet, mine is a lot easier, I just do intervals of 1 min high speed, 1 min low speed, I usually manage to get in 2+ miles in 20 mins or so, which for me is a lot)

20 minutes on the treadmill.
    Warm-up for 5 minutes
    jog for 1 minute at 6.5pmh
    walk for 1 minute
    run for 45-60 seconds on 7.0mph
    walk for 1 minute
    walk on an incline of 15% for 1 minute
    walk at 0% incline for 1 minute
    run for 30-45 seconds on 7.5mph
    walk for 1 minute
    run for 20-30 seconds on 8.0mph
    walk for 1 minute
    walk on an incline of 15% for 1 minute
    walk at 0% incline for 1 minute
    walk fast for 1 minute on 4.2mph
    walk for 1 minute
    sprint for 20-45 seconds on 9.0mph
    Cool down for 5 minutes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Like many others, I faced the same issues on the treadmill, but due to a variety of circumstances I had to learn to get used to it. If there isn't a relevant sports program on, I have about 50 hours of Tour de France DVDs and some old Ironman stuff and that can be helpful.

This last time when I started ramping up my time, I covered the display with a towel and set a number of songs I would play before looking at the display. Instead of watching the time crawl by, I would say I am going to run for, say, 8 songs before I look at the display. In a sense, I was "committing" to the workout in advance and, for whatever reason, I found that helpful.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member

wow... guess you never experienced a real winter... I don't know about you, but when it's -20*C (-4F) with a windchill of -35* (-31F), it's darned near impossible to breathe... nevermind the 3 feet of snow and 4-5 foot snowbanks and black ice!!

I like watching motivational shows - like Biggest Loser, X-weighted, Bulging Brides... just to get my groove on. I like what Nolachick suggested. I may just try that! I also love to skip. Great workout, in half the time.
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    I load up my ipod with upbeat songs while simultaneously watching an interesting DVD. Nonetheless, even with these added distractions, treadmills are boring. I mix it up by walking/jogging with Leslie Sansone DVDs when I am not motivated to get on the treadmill. When I am on the treadmill, I remind myself that I am fortunate to have a nice treadmill in the convenience of my home and that I am healthy enough to use it. Sometimes reminding myself of what I have instead of what I dislike changes my perspective.
  • SkyraBee
    SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
    Yes, interval training is a good idea ( I imagine it was mentioned before). That keeps me motivated on the treadmill. Also, if the road is clean (despite the cold), dress warmly and mix it up with running outside. Good luck.
  • Thank you to EVERYONE! You ALL have certainly given me lots to think about and some really great tips (and some really inspiring perspective, too)! LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! Guess it is something that I'll just have to conquer, I am learning that my mind is my WEAKEST MUSCLE! I CAN DO THIS! THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member

wow... guess you never experienced a real winter... I don't know about you, but when it's -20*C (-4F) with a windchill of -35* (-31F), it's darned near impossible to breathe... nevermind the 3 feet of snow and 4-5 foot snowbanks and black ice!!

I like watching motivational shows - like Biggest Loser, X-weighted, Bulging Brides... just to get my groove on. I like what Nolachick suggested. I may just try that! I also love to skip. Great workout, in half the time.

You are talkin' my kind of winter! Especially the snow, snow banks, and ice. It just makes it unsafe. I don't love the treadmil but I do love that I can work out in my own house no matter what is happening outside.

I have been doing alot of intervals rather than only distance runs. It does seem to pass the time a little faster. My treadmill has programs to pick from, different speeds, inclines, times. It gives me variety without much thought, planning, or watching the time.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    I am a "newbie" runner, I REALLY LOVE IT! The fresh morning air, the fresh smells and the sunshine on my face. I really struggle to run on my treadmill. I don't feel that I can run as long or enjoy it as much. With the winter months approaching, I was wondering what anyone else might do to stay motivated and focused on the treadmill? I rock out my ipod with inspiring music but still.............................. Any suggestions?????????????

I do interval walks and runs! Kick in the incline and push it push it push it!!!! I also agree, the outside is SOOOOOO much better but it get's frigid cold here in MONTANA !!!
This discussion has been closed.