Insulin Resistance Diet

Options
PHS7
PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
I'm looking for opinions on this diet. A little background first. So far this year I have lost @49 pounds! Yeah Me! However, I have been stuck at 222-227 for over a month. I do have thyroid problems (Graves Disease) and have had my thyroid radioactively knocked off. So, I'm on Synthroid for the rest of my life. My labs are fine (T3 & T4). I know that it's a big challenge to lose weight with hypothyroidism but it can be done.

As far as my workouts, I hit the gym three times per week for circuit weight-training and cardio (just switched to interval training -- half the time all the sweat!). I also try to hit the bike 2-3 times per week if my schedule permits. I have been focusing on a low-fat >2000 calorie diet but haven't been as strict there since it is summertime!

Anyway, I want to throw that out there to get some opinions.

Replies

• chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, and God knows, I always have one, is that you shouldn't ask for opinions. You should consult a nutritionist.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant as well. My doctor recommended South Beach Diet because you eliminate the bad carbs. In about 11 months I have lost a total of 52 pounds. I personally love South Beach Diet and never feel like I am depriving myself.
  • krystle9184
    krystle9184 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia and I can tell you South Beach is one of the best for those with insulin issues!! Good job!! (:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for opinions on this diet.
    Err, which diet ?

Are you asking about something specific, or applying MFP's approach to someone with insulin resistance ?
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    how about just looking into/experimenting with Intermittant Fasting?
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Check out "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman.