Quinoa recipes?

Options
Does anyone have any recipes for Quinoa? I have one for a black bean and tomato quinoa salad...am looking for others. Anyone eat it in the morning with fruit??

Thanks!

Replies

• thizzle
    thizzle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, you can make it like porridge in the morning. I like mine with milk (regular or soy), apple and cinnamon. Also excellent with fresh papaya, so more of a summer treat.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a recipe person, but I throw it in just about anything. I will make soups with it, macaroni and cheese with it instead of noodles, use it for rice substitutes. If I was able to use cream of mushroom and chicken soups, I would make it with those and throw some chicken and veggies in with it. The possibilities are endless, and since it only takes 15 minutes to cook, super convenient for a quick meal. I've never tried it with berries or sweet stuff, but I think it could work.
  • quinnybear
    Options
    i use it just like i would use rice. my favorite is to cook it in chicken stock then add some mushrooms, green onions and white wine to it to make a pilaf.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    MM! So I ran out of oatmeal the other day, and I made it in place, with mandarins, and cottage cheese. It tasted kind of like cheesecake:love:

.. I don't have measurements, but basically..

Cook 1 serving of quinoa, (I used red, but I don't think it matters)
    Add cinnamon and splenda to taste
    Mix in half a can of mandarin oranges

Heat and serve with half a cup of cottage cheese on top.

I think it was about 300cal, maybe a little less?
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    I have a recipe for quinoa salad. I don't really measure but you can add to your taste.

2 cups cooked quinoa
    1/2 cup julienne sun dried tomatoes soaked in water or oil (oil has more calories)
    1 cup cooked lentils

enough low fat salad dressing of your choice and to taste....

I use Trader Joe's Low Fat Cilantro dressing. Another choice is a low fat sesame soy dressing. This can be served warm or cold. I prefer cold. If it sits in the fridge longer than a couple of days, you may have to add more dressing because the quinoa will soak it up.

enjoy!
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    I like mine cooked in a rice cooker with a little coconut oil added - then I top with edamame and soy sauce.
  • Darci73
    Darci73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really like red quinoa as a rice alternative. I'm gluten free so I eat rice bread, crackers, milk...it gets boring. I don't really have a great recipe off the top of my head because I'm experimenting. I do recommend trying quinoa flakes if you want to eat it for breakfast or with something sweet. It's too bitter to me to just cook and throw berries on. I add cinnamon and throw frozen berries in the pot for the last few minutes of cooking, then top with almond milk or something tastey.

I'd love to experiment with it doing some sort of gluten free apple crisp. If anyone tries, let me know!

Darci
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone...what is Quinoa? I have never heard of it. Where do you buy it?
    Your recipes sound yummy.....