How many bars are too many bars?

Options
Tilran
Tilran Posts: 626 Member
So what are your thoughts about Nutrition/protein bars?

How many should you eat per day/week/month/year type of thing?

I would imagine these bars would only be consumed daily or twice daily sometimes when building muscle and needing those extra protein kicks.

So if someone was working out 5-7 days a week, spliting time between heavy cardio and heavy strength training, getting an average burn of 500 calories on cardio days and average burn of 300 calories on strength training days...what would be the recommendation? Or should bars even play a part of the diet?

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Not all bars are created equal. While there are a few I would consider, they just seem to be a more expensive version of protein powder imo. As long as you have the calories factored in, you can eat as many as you want (I'm assuming you like them lol).
  • Tilran
    Options
    Not all bars are created equal. While there are a few I would consider, they just seem to be a more expensive version of protein powder imo. As long as you have the calories factored in, you can eat as many as you want (I'm assuming you like them lol).

I eat the Clif Builder's Protein Bars. (Cookies and Cream) They are amazing as far as taste!

Here is their nutritional value:

Calories: 270
    Total Fat: 8g (Sat. Fat 5g)
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 240mg
    Potassium: 210mg
    Total Carb: 30g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Insoluble Fiber 2g, Sugars 20g, Other Carb 6g)
    Protein: 20g

A whole bunch of vitamins ranging from 35-100% of daily value.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You should have a goal intake of calories and macronutrients (protein/carb/fat). Whatever you eat, whether it's a bar, a shake, a piece of chicken, or a donut, will contribute to this goal.

Fit in foods you enjoy such that you reach these targets. If you enjoy eating 4 bars per week, and it fits your diet, then do it -- but there's really no way that anyone can tell you what the ideal number of protein bars is.

I don't eat them much at all. The majority of my protein intake comes from whole foods, with some coming from a powdered form of whey because I can get more protein per calorie that way. Your preferences may vary.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I personally think processed food should be kept at a minimum. IMHO, whole foods are the way to go.
  • 118R3volution
    Options
    If you need something quick, sure a few per week will be fine (as long as you are balancing your nutrition). They are pretty expensive after a while though, so a powder & shaker bottle may be a cheaper alternative to get protein.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Someone asked Tony Horton this question on one of his video chats and his take was, the bars should only be for emergency use only. They should not be part of your normal diet. I don't eat them at all, so I thought I would throw out his point of view on it..
  • Tilran
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. I will keep them closer to a minimum. They just were an easy option to eat on the run or when I get home from the gym and have no energy to cook anything up. Sometimes I ate them at my desk at work to hold me over until lunch as well.

Was easier to keep a bunch of those bars in my drawer at work then a whole bunch of snack foods.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would keep it to a minimum. Use them in an emergency. Watch out for the sugar content. Some can be very high is this department!