Protein Shakes!

Options
So I'm thinking of starting to drink a protein shake as I am not getting enough proper protein into my diet - i'm not really a big meat fan and am finding it hard to get a lot of protein in my diet, no problem on carbs though!

So my question is, ladies (or gents) which protein shake brand or type has worked the best for you? Flavour doesnt really matter for me, nor does price, I just want something that will work and is worth taking!

Also, whens the best type to drink it in your opinions.. pre or post workouts?

Replies

• susyw_2003
    Options
    sorry, ment the best *time to drink it.. pre or post workouts?
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Currently I use Clif Nutritional bars that give me 20g of protein and 30g of carbs (4g of fiber) and a whole bunch of vitamins.

Working for me, but I am also curious for an answer on this topic.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Depending on how hungry I am, I prefer Myolean or Syntha-6. (The former if I'm starving).

The Myolean is a great MRP shake as well, if you're into that kind of thing.
  • nt591
    nt591 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is delicious.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html

The double rich chocolate is my favorite, it's tasty even mixed in water. Great for post-workout but I just use it as a supplement when I don't think I'll hit my protein numbers for the day.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I tried expensive, mid range and cheap. The cheap only has 130-140 calories a scoop and is like 14.50 at walmart. Work fine for me! I like vanilla.
    I use it as a lunch substitute (still do a side dish at times) on days I don't work out then as a preworkout fuel because Dr Oz recently said you should workout on a non empty tummy, but with a shake or yogurt instead of lots of heavy foods. supposedly burn more fat vs muscle. Made sense on his video anyways?
  • peuglow
    Options
    I tried expensive, mid range and cheap. The cheap only has 130-140 calories a scoop and is like 14.50 at walmart. Work fine for me! I like vanilla.
    I use it as a lunch substitute (still do a side dish at times) on days I don't work out then as a preworkout fuel because Dr Oz recently said you should workout on a non empty tummy, but with a shake or yogurt instead of lots of heavy foods. supposedly burn more fat vs muscle. Made sense on his video anyways?

I hate Dr Oz. No offense, but 90% of what that guy says is just sensationalist for ratings.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I hate Dr Oz. No offense, but 90% of what that guy says is just sensationalist for ratings.

^ And 90% is probably giving Oz too much credit.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    sorry, ment the best *time to drink it.. pre or post workouts?

doesn't matter
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is delicious.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html

The double rich chocolate is my favorite, it's tasty even mixed in water. Great for post-workout but I just use it as a supplement when I don't think I'll hit my protein numbers for the day.

I use this brand. Timing doesn't matter.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I only watch him like once a month, but caught that episode by chance. I am sure it doesn't matter if it is whey protein, yogurt or food. Having some calories before hand has helped me feel more energized for a workout. I will keep it up :)

I am not gonna defend Dr Oz, just that it seemed to make sense at the time and i don't think I am hurting anything, so, figure why not. Just adjusting what time a day to take my yummy whey shake.
  • peuglow
    Options
    I only watch him like once a month, but caught that episode by chance. I am sure it doesn't matter if it is whey protein, yogurt or food. Having some calories before hand has helped me feel more energized for a workout. I will keep it up :)

I am not gonna defend Dr Oz, just that it seemed to make sense at the time and i don't think I am hurting anything, so, figure why not. Just adjusting what time a day to take my yummy whey shake.

I completely agree. I think that with the millions of years of evolution we have built into our bodies, we're pretty good at figuring it out what it needs as long as we listen to it.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    SYNTRAX MATRIX COOKIES AND CREME IS AMAZING.

If you call customer service 866-333-7403 x803, Syntrax is running a promotion where you get 14 samples for $14 flat. It's a pretty good deal, and they have some awesome flavors!!
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    SYNTRAX MATRIX COOKIES AND CREME IS AMAZING.

If you call customer service 866-333-7403 x803, Syntrax is running a promotion where you get 14 samples for $14 flat. It's a pretty good deal, and they have some awesome flavors!!
  • betrayalunknown
    Options
    Isopure Strawberries and Cream Isolate

Optimum Nutrition Cookies and Cream Casein

BSN Lean Dessert Fresh Cinnamon Roll

Allmax Peanut Butter Chocolate

Optimum Nutrition Peanut Butter Chocolate Casein

I prefer post-workout