How insane is the INSANITY workout?

Options
Hello all,

How intense is the insanity workout? I was tempted to order it but was worried I would not be able to hang with the routine and would give up. If anyone has completed the program and could offer some input/advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It is very intense. It is the hardest thing workout dvd-wise I have ever done (I've done p90x, Jari Love, Cathe, etc...) The 1st month is a bit easier than the 2nd, but both require alot of stamina, upper body strength, ability to do explosive leg moves w/lots of side-to-side movements, a great deal of balance & core strength. It is very high impact. You can always take breaks, press pause in the beginning or just go at your own speed. I have only 1 more week until I am done & the only thing that has ever made me want to give up is that you repeat the same workouts over & over so they get a bit boring, but still challenging. I would only say go for it only if you have been working out regularly at a high intensity for at least a year, if not longer. If I had not done p90x before Insanity I don't know if I would've been ready for Insanity...especially w/upper body strength.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    There is a blog going under the fitness topic,check us out! This is an EXTREME workout! Are you in fit shape, have you been working out real regular at a fairly high intensity? This is the mother when it comes to cardio while using body weight for core, shoulders, legs and abs! I absolutely loved it and will use along with the series I am just starting. (ChaLean Extreme) If you have been working out give it a go, the 1st month is not near as tuff as the 2nd month, but WOW you feel so accomplished when you are finished! I wish you fun and fitness!
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just completed a round of INSANITY about 3 weeks ago and let me say it lives up to its name and then some. The first month, I found it a mental struggle to start each workout. Just about every workout I would start a big fear about whether I could finish. Many days I wanted to quit after the warm-up. There's a recovery week and then the second month makes the first month look like a cake-walk.

That said it will get you in the best shape of your life. I lost about 13 lbs during the program and have lost another 4 lbs in the 3 weeks afterwards. I still got a little more weight/bodyfat to loose, but it did a lot to get me towards my goal.

I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hadn't been working out rather intensely for less than 6 months to a year. I used to run 15-20 miles a week. There was a time when I biked in to work every other day (16 miles one-way). I've worked my way up through some of the other Beachbody programs, P90, P90X, etc. So I took it on as a personal challenge and if that's your attitude then you can make it through the program. If you're really worried or have serious doubts, then may I suggest another program (say P90X or something a little less insane).

Mike
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Like BiloxiBelle & Vhuber said, it is EXTREME. Definitely not a workout for beginners. I had done P90X four times before Insanity, and Insanity still gave me a swift kick. Unless you are accustomed to intense workouts, start with P90 Master Series or P90X first.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Thank to all who responded. While I'm not a fitness beginner I can tell from the comments that I am not quite ready for the insanity workout. I'll up my stamina, endurance and intensity before trying to tackle the beast they call INSANITY. Thank u again for the feedback, it was extremely helpful.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I watch those commercials and DREAM of the day I will be able to do Insanity...but that's a long way down the road for me. :smile: