When did you buy new clothes?

Options

Replies

• Katetmay
    Katetmay Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I could remove my pants without unbuttoning them I would buy new ones. I have to do laundry frequently as I only buy 2 pairs of work pants and a pair or two of jeans. Luckily I have been able to wear some of my tops a bit longer.
    I never thought about going to a consignment store but after reading everyone's post that is actually a great idea.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I had alot more weight to lose, but I would stay when they got baggy to the point I didn't have to button them or I couldn't keep them up I replaced them. I bought alot of transition clothes - meaning only a couple pairs of pants and 3-4 shirts at a time because I knew I would be buying alot of clothes thru the process.

If you find you aren't feeling attractive or comfortable in the baggy clothes get new ones. It is amazing how a properly fitting wardrobe will make you feel internally and externally about yourself :)

Now I am trying to make a wardrobe for myself. Try not to think you will need those clothes again YOU WILL SUCCEED and not need them ever again!!!!

ETA: I also started dating thru this process so I had to feel ok in my clothes! I tried to buy things as tight as possible without looking ridiculous so they would last longer.
  • maryann123115
    maryann123115 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm at 34lbs lost and still have yet to buy smaller clothes although I can feel my jeans getting looser. I was thinking once I hit 40lbs lost I might try the next jean size down, we'll see how it goes! Keep in mind - we all have different bodies!
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    I got my sewing machine out and just kept taking my clothes in. I bought a few things here and there for graduations etc, but I dont want to waste $ on clothes that will just be too big again soon. So I am waiting till I get to my goal weight to restock the closet!
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I bought two new tops and two pairs of capris on clearance because we are supposed to go out of town and all my clothes are falling off. I have lost 42 pounds. I lucked out and had a pair of jeans and a few shirts in my current size shoved in the back of my closet so I should be able to hold off on buying anything else for a while.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had to when my wife and my assistant both said I was swimming in my clothes - which was about 20 lbs down. Everyone is different so some might when they lose 10 or when they lose 30. It's a good "problem" to have.
  • kendallarismendez
    Options
    I just bought smaller clothes :) I had to give away all my big girl clothes! I went from a size 14 to a size 8 :) People can really tell a difference in my clothes. There a lot more form fitting and not sagging off of me! Took me a year to get to my goal weight...Good luck on your journey!
  • angusmike
    Options
    When ever I want. :bigsmile:
  • bakatare2k
    Options
    I started to buy after all my clothes started to feel/look really baggy on me and people started to comment. I have been running around places like Marshals, Ross, TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, and pick up a few things here and there but I know im not done yet (weight wise), so i have done the transitional clothes thing for now and when it starts to cool off i should be ready to go again for another round of shopping.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've only had to replace my pants so far. I try to wear them for as long as I can but once they start falling down, it's time to go. I plan on buying a few things as I need them but I won't replace my wardrobe until I'm near my goal.
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I will be frequenting the consignment shops when that time comes. I don't want to spend tons of $ on clothes that I don't plan to be in long but I also want to feel good in what I wear no matter my current size. I really think that keeping our self esteem up is a strong point in helping us stay motivated to keep losing weight. Dressing in clothes I like always helps my self esteem. :)
  • SaraRT1983
    Options
    I find that since money is tight but my clothes are getting way too big that I'm just buying a new piece here or there from either thrift stores, Wal-Mart, Target (LOVE the clearance racks). I don't go crazy becuase I still have a LONG way to go but just enough to transition into so I'm not feeling so frumpy!! :) I have always hated buying new clothes but once I get to my goal you better believe I'm going to shop until I drop!!!
  • mich1760
    mich1760 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds and I had clothes saved in bins that were a size smaller so I have enjoyed pulling those out. However, I am not going to save the clothes that are to big for me now.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I Just recently started buying a few things. It was getting ridiculous and i was starting to look like a "hobo" according to my sister and mom. I was wearing yoga pants and t shirts and they were great transition pieces. I just donated quite a few bags of clothes because i couldnt save them any longer. I bought 2 new pairs of pants and a few shirts. They will last for a bit.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a little here and there so that I don't have to spend a TON at one time... of course, i'm buying them smaller so that They can be motivation :)
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I live in gym clothes. Seriously. Spandex and t-shirts. Most of my nicer clothes are dresses so I can belt those around the waist and they still look good, but I'm slimming down so fast that I can't afford to seriously buy new clothes until I level out a bit

I have been living in yoga pants and plain t-shirts for the past six months! Yoga pants fit for a range of like three to four pant sizes.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As all my old clothes were elasticated I could get away with them for quite a while. I have also struggled with actually seeing me as thinner

I have only recently bought some 'new' clothes, mostly from charity shops or sale rails

I was a UK 18/20 (20 really if I am totally honest) and now fit (easily) into a (UK) 14 - not at goal yet so MAY end up a 12/14 I am not sure yet :)

Good luck on your journey
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    Options
    I still haven't bought many new clothes....up until this week I was still wearing my medical scrubs from +50lbs ago....they looked awful and hung on me but I just HATE buying work clothes.

But this week I bought two new pairs and wore them....wow did I get tons of compliments...co-workers really noticed my weightloss with proper fitting clothes on.

I have a few hand-me-downs and a couple newer outifts, but like OP said I don't want to buy a lot and go down even more sizes.
  • silviamv
    silviamv Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your responses! I still cannot take my pants off without unbuttoning them (I wish!), but they do make me look like I'm wearing one size too big - and as some of you said, it doesn't show my progress so far, and although is not much I am excited about it and proud of it :)
    I wish I could use yoga pants but my job requires a business casual dress code :( I have two pairs of jeans that were not fitting me before I started dieting/exercising, and now they fit me *yay*, so I don't need to buy jeans until I reach my goal - but the work clothes are looking awful! Thanks for your tips, lots of great ideas! :happy:
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't really buy new clothes. Instead I 'rent' them -- I'm still losing, so I go to the thrift store and I buy NWT pants & shirts. Then in a few weeks, I bring them back and donate them, and get smaller stuff. Because I'm re-donating them, my spouse says I 'rent' rather than buy them.

Once I get to my goal, I will go shopping for new clothes -- but will probably keep a lot of my 'finds' too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!