What will happen if you eat too much protein?

Options
I mean like if you go over your daily allowance, even after you have worked out.... What will happen? Will it have bad consequences or will it not make a difference?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much. Personally, I think MFP has their default protein goal set too low anyway.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I mean like if you go over your daily allowance, even after you have worked out.... What will happen? Will it have bad consequences or will it not make a difference?

Going over your daily MFP allowance won't make a difference. In fact, you probably should get more than recommended by MFP.

Too much protein can be bad for your kidneys, but just going over your MFP allowance isn't enough to cause any damage--unless you have a medical problem.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think their protein is too low. But I think even lower is their fiber goal! I try to get at least 25g fiber a day, but my goal was set at 14.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    You will probably feel good and satiatated.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You might feel more satisfied on less calories, lose fat more quickly, build extra muscle, or keep the muscle you have. It's horrible! ;)
  • dirkreader
    Options
    The reality is you will get gas. If you eat too much protein your body will just pass it through your system. I weigh 155 pounds and eat over 200 grams of protein a day with no trouble at all.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think their protein is too low. But I think even lower is their fiber goal! I try to get at least 25g fiber a day, but my goal was set at 14.

Agree. I increased the fiber and protein goals manually.
  • gabeej
    gabeej Posts: 45
    Options
    You will meet a tall, dark stranger.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you eat a LOT: Kidney stones.

But that's a LOT.
  • snowyd20
    snowyd20 Posts: 176
    Options
    Diverticulitis!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much. Personally, I think MFP has their default protein goal set too low anyway.

Agreed -- MFP's is mighty low, especially if you're strength training. This is a good calculator for many things, including how much protein to intake daily: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. The main advice I've gotten is that if you're ingesting a lot of protein is to drink plenty of fluids as too much protein can stress the kidneys. Otherwise -- lots is good!
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh right so in over words just by going over a little, really wont make no difference whats so ever and may even be better for me lol??
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You will get super strong. ;)
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    I spoke to my cousin who is a body builder and owns a supplements store... My allowance on MFP says 53gr... wayy too little. I usually eat over 100gr and haqve reached 150gr on occasion and he said its NOTHING to worry about. Its actually better to get more than what it says on here...
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You might feel more satisfied on less calories, lose fat more quickly, build extra muscle, or keep the muscle you have. It's horrible! ;)

Agree! it is better going over the protein than over sugar, sodium, and/or unhealthy carbs.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over in protein but way low in carbs and fat, but I like it that way.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You will never accidentally get so much protein as to cause any problem. Protein is good, and going over MFP's low goals is a good thing.
  • no1canadianangel
    Options

LOL exactly...
  • piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you eat to much protein you will be really really full, and if that protein was low fat like turkey breast, boiled chicken or tuna fish you probably wont be able to meet your calorie goals.(which could be a good or bad thing iyo) Thats my experience anyway.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You will dry up, turn into a pile of dust, and blow away. And a scary man will crawl in your window at 3 am and sodomize your hamster. If you don't have a hamster, you should probably sleep in the closet for the next week.

But no...seriously, extra protein won't kill you. The worst thing that will happen, assuming you don't have an existing metabolic disorder that affects your ability to process proteins, is that you'll feel pretty full and possibly pass a lot of gas. No big deal, especially if you can blame it on that hamster...or your dog, if you want to be all cliche about it.

**Edited to add that even the gas thing doesn't happen to everybody. I've never had any problems with it, but I know my son and my husband both had MAJOR issues with gas for a while when we all started eating high protein. Maybe it's actually just that boys are gross.