Potassium - Where to find it.

Options
My Report shows that I am Potassium deficient.....big time. Need your help folks. Where do I find it besides in a pill?? HELP Please.

Replies

• PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Bananas are a good and so is eggplant for this. Google high in potassium foods. :) Yes I think they have pills but I like the natural
    kind. :)
  • connye13
    connye13 Posts: 19
    Options
    bananas, potatoes many vegetables. I googled foods with Potassium and there were lots. Hope this helps
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm always low on potassium, and I eat a lot of high potassium foods. I take a potassium supplement as well and still miss.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Red potatoes are a great source of potassium. So are black beans, kidney beans, oranges, and spinach. Starchy vegetables and fruits are excellent for this.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Just researched this and the top ones are: sweet potatoes, beet greens, orange juice, yogurt, raisins, potatoes, white beans, dates, tomatoes, and V8. All good things to eat.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Spinage is fairly high in potassium. I make green smoothies with spinage and banana in them which helps keep the potassium levels up.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potatoes are too.

Glad you posted this. I just found out my level is low but I am allergic bananas!
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    So.. what you're saying is trail mix, french fries and banana splits?

SCORE!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You should keep in mind that most of the foods in the database were entered by users, and they often focus on things like Calorie, Fat, Carb, Sodium, etc and often don't log the potassium in foods. Check labels, research the natural foods you eat - for accuracy!
  • LoveDLady
    LoveDLady Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Potatoes and sweet potatoes, but I also have to take potassium gluconate in pill form twice daily.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is my favorite source of potassium... cabbage is also a great source...but when I was looking this up for myself, I found this...

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

Some of my faves on this list are pumpkin seeds - I buy raw pepitas (shelled, no salt) at Trader Joe's and put them in salads and stir fries... #5: Dried Apricots, Prunes, Zante Currants, and Raisins... I keep 3 out of 4 of these tasty snacks in my bag of goodies.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Potassium rich foods also include avocados, milk, nuts. Be very careful about adding a potassium supplement because it can cause a dangerous interaction with meds and medical conditions (ie diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease) and an overdose can be serious. Most people are able to get enough from diet.
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Avocados!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You should keep in mind that most of the foods in the database were entered by users, and they often focus on things like Calorie, Fat, Carb, Sodium, etc and often don't log the potassium in foods. Check labels, research the natural foods you eat - for accuracy!

Foods without an asterisk beside them in the database are from the USDA database, and they have potassium information included.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Morton's lite salt - 1400 mg in a teaspoon.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Kale and spinach are awesome sources of potassium. Not to mention, iron, calcium, phytochemical, etc... My potassium is about 5500 on a normal day. I don't log every day, but you can check out my diary if you wish.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

At least in the US, labels aren't required to list potassium content so most of them don't. That means most of the foods in the database show 0 mg potassium, even if they are actually potassium rich.

Bottom line is you simply can't believe what MFP is telling you about your potassium intake.
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Coffee. :drinker:
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    COCONUT WATER :)
  • KCramer12
    KCramer12 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bananas, potatoes. And crazy enough but froot loops have tons of potassium (i just recently found this out).