Rowing Machine

Options
Does anyone use a rowing machine? I HATE CARDIO and have always loved doing weights. The only thing I have for cardio is a bike, which I REALLY hate, I have been thinking about getting a rowing machine. I tried one out the other day in a store. It didn't seem that bad. I like the aspect of low impact, total body workout I was thinking an elliptical, but it is so expensive for a good one that doesn't shake, and they take up so much room. Any thoughts? Any recommendations for a good machine?

Replies

• Margy82
    Options
    Does anyone use a rowing machine? I HATE CARDIO and have always loved doing weights. The only thing I have for cardio is a bike, which I REALLY hate, I have been thinking about getting a rowing machine. I tried one out the other day in a store. It didn't seem that bad. I like the aspect of low impact, total body workout I was thinking an elliptical, but it is so expensive for a good one that doesn't shake, and they take up so much room. Any thoughts? Any recommendations for a good machine?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Don't know if there is a class near you, but if you like weights and hate cardio, you should try body pump. My wife teaches it, and i take it. It's a great mix of weights and cardio. Gives you a kick *kitten* (pardon my french) workout, and it's no mamby pamby aerobics class.:bigsmile:

(just kidding aerobics junkies, I know you work hard too)
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I got one that I just love.
    I went on craigslist and got one for about $100.00
    mine is fairly basic and made by Nordictrack.
    They don't make it anymore but I felt it was worth the risk as thay are a good company
    and I bought it from an older couple that only used it a few times.
    Good luck.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know much about rowing machines, but my elliptical from walmart was $200 and although it is a lil squeaky it doesn't shake at all...I get a good work out from it! I need to get some oil on the squeaky parts lol
  • searlait
    searlait Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need a concept II. Best out there. I row in the summer times, so that is what we train on in the winter. http://www.concept2.com/us/default.asp :glasses:
  • stewarta
    stewarta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to Row a lot. It is listed as one of the best exercises for all around muscle groups. Having said that, many people purchase a low dollar machine and have poor performance and satisification. Google this and read more: Concept 2 Rowing machine - It is worth it's weight in absolute GOLD. It is what Crew teams use to train.
  • stewarta
    stewarta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    p.s., don't skimp on this if you decide. Strongly consider the concept 2 over other look alikes. I have had mine for 10 years - no problems and I love it. Only thing for me was a recent back injury so i have not used it in a while.