How much Cardio is too much Cardio???

Options
Hi! First post here!

I've read so many conflicting articles on cardio. How much is too much?

I've been doing 30 min on the elliptical trainer MOST days (for example, last week I only did 6 days) Sometimes I an aerobic video w/weights instead (Denise Austin video)

Is there a magic # of cardio days you should do? Is there a point when you're doing your body harm by not resting it for a day or two a week? I HATE doing cardio, but I feel guilty when I skip a day. What have you all had success with?

Thanks in advance!

Mima

Replies

• jodiegauv91
    Options
    I sort of a cardio addict so my answer would tend to be that there's no such thing as too much of it ! 30 minutes daily seems reasonable to me but yes really I think it is important to make sure you take a day off every few days, so don't feel guilty skipping a day !
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I think you should at least take 1-2 days off per week to give your body time to rest and recuperate, but I think you're fine as long as you are eating enough and getting in plenty of carbs. Just don't get TOO carried away as the body perceives exercise as a stressor, so copious amounts of it will probably have the opposite effect on your metabolism that you want it to. And a lot of cardio without strength training can lead to some muscle loss. I'm not really sure if there is a magic number of minutes you should do it, but I think 4-5 x per week is plenty in my opinion.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio is a relative term. If you're training for a marathon or triathlon it's an oxymoron, if you're a bodybuilder it''s a different story.

I'm inclined to think that if you're looking at it from a health/fitness perspective 30 min per day is probably the absolute minimum. Taking a rest / recovery day is recommended but that doesn't necessarily mean sitting on the couch it just means low impact, low intensity (walk, swim/bike at a leisurely pace etc)

Perhaps the reason you hate cardio is that you haven't found your bliss. Personally I'd rather eat broken glass than spend 30 minutes on an elliptical. I like to be outdoors running or cycling. Try some different activities and find one or two that you enjoy (maybe a sport you used to play?)
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    you can do cardio but with different muscle groups so that you dont over do it

for me my goal week is ...
    m- bike and run
    t- swim
    w- bike and run
    th- bike
    fr - pilates & circuit training
    sat - run
    sun - surf

so i am doing cardio 6 days a week and there is a little cardio in the circuit training class i do but i am doing different muscle groups each day.

if you build up sensibly and listen to your body then i dont think there is a magic number of days or hours of cardio since different people will have a different threshold. only thing i would be concerned with your cardio is you are doing the same thing every day, mix it up if possible.

if you dont like biking, running or swimming (or even if you do) i highly recommend the rowing machine at the gym. short time great workout & calorie burn, just ask a trainer to give you a 1 minutes lesson on it since form isnt hard but it might not be obvious.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If your body is conditioned for the amounts you're giving it then sure why not. But if you're experiencing pain, discomfort, sore muscles tendons or joins, then obviously give it a rest
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    30 min on the elliptical can probably be done everyday. As your workouts become longer and more intense, you'll need more rest.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Theres no set amount of days you should do cardio, it's great for your overall health. Always go by feel when it comes to rest. As long as you don't feel burnt out you should continue to do it. When trying to lose weight, I've had success with 4 HIIT days and 1 steady state day.
  • Mimacat14
    Mimacat14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Ive never been one for sports or anything physical - the elliptical is the only thing that I can tolerate b/c I read my kindle :) I wish I was one of those people who really enjoyed working out. Alas, I am not :)
  • Mimacat14
    Mimacat14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you should at least take 1-2 days off per week to give your body time to rest and recuperate, but I think you're fine as long as you are eating enough and getting in plenty of carbs. Just don't get TOO carried away as the body perceives exercise as a stressor, so copious amounts of it will probably have the opposite effect on your metabolism that you want it to. And a lot of cardio without strength training can lead to some muscle loss. I'm not really sure if there is a magic number of minutes you should do it, but I think 4-5 x per week is plenty in my opinion.

Wow you've lost 72 pounds! That is amazing!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You need to answer these questions:

1)What is your primary goal? (reduction in body fat, training for an endurance event, etc.)

2)What is the degree of your caloric deficit? (small [up to 15% below predicted maintenance]; moderate [up to 25% below predicted maintenance]; or large [greater than 25% below predicted maintenance])

3)If you are applying a large deficit, which area comprises the bulk of the value? (Calorie restriction vs exercise).

4)What is your current body weight, body fat percentage and height?

5)How long [weeks, months, years, etc.] have you been engaging in cardio activity and living on a caloric deficit?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The medical minimum recommendation is 30 min a day at least 3 times a week for health. 60 min at least 6 days a week for weight loss. That is, naturally, a general recommendation and will vary depending on what other activity you do..

You can do more though if you want. Technically, I don't think there is such a thing as too much cardio, because if you do so much that it becomes unhealthy then it really couldn't still be "cardio", which means exercise that is good for your cardiovasular system.

But practically "too much" has to do with not being properly fueled and/or how much you do in one non-stop session.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think it only becomes too much if you're going at it with the wrong head.

What I mean by that is me, for example. I'm a recovering anorexic/bulimic. Or trying anyway. It's a long, slow uphill climb. But I tend to exercise too much because in my head, I'm thinking, "Just burn 200 more calories. Just enough to cover your lunch today." If I'm not careful, I keep going and going until I reach some ridiculous number of calories burned, and that is not healthy.

If you're doing it for the right reasons - health, feeling good, because you enjoy it, strength - then I don't think there's too much.

Unless you're lifting as well and trying to gain muscle.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I try to do at least an hour every day, personally. Sometimes I do up to 2.