Low Fat vs. Low Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I believe that most people find low carb easier for weight loss because it allows you to eat more satisfying foods and a high fat/high protein diet is better for satiety than many other diets.

I used to think this same thing until I found the nutritarian diet style. It's worth investigating if you haven't heard of it.

Saying that one should eat primarily nutrient dense foods is kind of beside the point.

Why? It seems to me that it's the most important point.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Still depends, but in general lower carb is better than lower fat as carbs also make you retain water at 3g water per 1g carb, meaning you also need to drink more water on a higher carb based diet in order to stay hydrated...

However when racing, a high fat diet can bet helpful if taken for a week or two maybe 3-4 weeks before race to get body used to burning fat for fuel for those long races.

High carb preferred but hey, at end of day a calorie will be a calorie in terms of weight loss if that is your only goal...

If ONLY weight loss is goal, then neither really is better though I guess high fat will keep you fuller for longer so that is a bonus... but as long as your using more calories than your eating, you'll lose...

It's simple, eat less, train more to lose weight, that is all that matters when it comes to weight loss, however, HOW and WHAT you want out of it changes what you eat or how you train. Something simple is actually complicated by your goals you want to achieve, unless as stated.. they are only lose weight, in which case, eat lots of veggies, lean meat, drown yourself in water so have 2 glasses before each meal carbs in morning not afternoon, and if you want to be better cut out red meat as well.

Your choice...
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Oh yea umm a few weeks before my race I always aim for 70% carbs if anyone wondering...

I also reset my goal by changing starting weight but have lost 60 odd pounds already...

In general the majority of my calories is either fat or carbs... no idea why, roughly like 50-60% carbs, 20-30% fat 10-20% protein...

That is my general diet, but it changes... like today 45% fat, 25% protein and 30% carbs... yesterday 69% carbs, 11% protein and 20% fat...

Other days the fat/carbs are even with protein lower... I guess mine is more lower protein than anything, I get my macros all the time but still lol...
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I believe that most people find low carb easier for weight loss because it allows you to eat more satisfying foods and a high fat/high protein diet is better for satiety than many other diets.

I used to think this same thing until I found the nutritarian diet style. It's worth investigating if you haven't heard of it.

Saying that one should eat primarily nutrient dense foods is kind of beside the point.

The question is whether a low carb or low fat diet provides any weight loss benefit. Saying essentially that "you should eat healthy," doesn't really address the question.

Like if an athlete asked how much protein he needed, and you responded with "eat a lot of veggies." That's a good recommendation, but doesn't answer the question.
  • cjc166
    Options

The question is whether a low carb or low fat diet provides any weight loss benefit. Saying essentially that "you should eat healthy," doesn't really address the question.

Like if an athlete asked how much protein he needed, and you responded with "eat a lot of veggies." That's a good recommendation, but doesn't answer the question.

OK, let's answer the question. Yes, they both provide weight loss benefit, but neither is optimal for long term health, or immediate or long term weight loss success. To answer the question directly, here is how you should eat for optimal health, weight loss, and disease prevention.
    foodpyramid-large.png
  • FireBrand80
    Options
    OK, let's answer the question. Yes, they both provide weight loss benefit, but neither is optimal for health, immediate, or long term success. To answer the question directly, here is how you should eat for optimal health, weight loss, and disease prevention.
    foodpyramid-large.png

I agree with you, I wouldn't necessarily recommend either.

As far as that chart you posted, I would disagree with some of that. For one, it would seem awfully low in protein for what the research indicates is the optimal range for lean mass retention on a diet. Also, while I agree that fruits, vegetables and other whole foods should make up the majority of one's diet, however, some context is needed. For example, an ultramarathon runner needs a massive amount of carbohydrates to support his training and events. If he were to attempt to meet his carbohydrate needs with fruits, veggies and whole grains, he wouldn't likely be able to stomach that volume of food and still compete, and the fiber intake would likely handcuff him to the toilet.
  • cjc166
    Options
    OK, let's answer the question. Yes, they both provide weight loss benefit, but neither is optimal for health, immediate, or long term success. To answer the question directly, here is how you should eat for optimal health, weight loss, and disease prevention.
    foodpyramid-large.png

As far as that chart you posted, I would disagree with some of that. For one, it would seem awfully low in protein for what the research indicates is the optimal range for lean mass retention on a diet. Also, while I agree that fruits, vegetables and other whole foods should make up the majority of one's diet, however, some context is needed. For example, an ultramarathon runner needs a massive amount of carbohydrates to support his training and events. If he were to attempt to meet his carbohydrate needs with fruits, veggies and whole grains, he wouldn't likely be able to stomach that volume of food and still compete, and the fiber intake would likely handcuff him to the toilet.

I must respectfully disagree. It is not low in protein, it is optimal in protein. The author himself was an Olympic figure skater, and advises professional and olympic athletes regarding their diet Naturally, as an athletic person's activity level increases, they will need to eat more food, and their protein level increases as their caloric needs increase. Plenty of marathon runners are following this plan as well.

It's a myth that a vegan or near vegan diet is low in protein. I've been hitting my protein requirements every day without any extra effort, not to mention exceeding all of my micronutrient requirements.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I've completely cut out certain foods from my daily intake ie. breads, tortillas, pastry, rice, most pastas (and red meat), so I don't have to think low-carb.
    Now I'm much more focused on low(er) fat.

After reading my comment, it sounds pretty crazy....but it's similar to the comment below in that I twek the carbs 'til they're not an issue, then I reduce my fats :)
    IMO, low carb is better for weight loss, specifically fat loss. Your body needs fat (good fats: 2% milk, a drizzle of olive oil to cook chicken breast, some avocado on a salad, etc). We don't really NEED bread, pasta, twinkies, candy, etc.

Every day I shoot for 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.

I REALLY limit carbs like bread of any kind or color including tortillas and wraps, pasta, sugar, crackers, chips, etc. Most days I go without eating anything in the "grain" category except steel cut oats in the AM, sweet potatoes (no butter!), and brown rice.

But I don't feel guilty for having a big salad with lots of dark leafy greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, avocado, chicken, and my favorite Newman's Own restaurant style italian dressing (not light). It's got "carbs" but I don't personally count veggies as "carbs" even though they technically are. I eat as many veggies as I want. And it's got fat from the avocado and dressing. But it's super healthy, good protein, and guilt-free in my book.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Guess what? There is no definitive answer to this one. Go try one of the two and find out for yourself.
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Which one is better for weight loss and why? Discuss.

this is based on your DNA. my wife and i did genetic tests and turns out i need a low fat diet and she needs a low carb diet to most effectively lose weight. i have to say that since doing this test im ACTUALLY losing weight for the first time in my life. i peaked at almost 420 after steadily gaining for like 8 years and over 140 lbs. ive always been told to limit carbs and stuff but turns out 55% of my diet is supposed to be some sort of healthy carb. so to answer your question, there IS NO ANSWER. it is 100% based on the individual and how your body works. the tests are very simple, ive helped a lot of people get them since i did mine.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    foodpyramid-large.png

I must respectfully disagree. It is not low in protein, it is optimal in protein. The author himself was an Olympic figure skater, and advises professional and olympic athletes regarding their diet Naturally, as an athletic person's activity level increases, they will need to eat more food, and their protein level increases as their caloric needs increase. Plenty of marathon runners are following this plan as well.

It's a myth that a vegan or near vegan diet is low in protein. I've been hitting my protein requirements every day without any extra effort, not to mention exceeding all of my micronutrient requirements.

As I often wonder about the protein intake in vegan diets I took a look at your diary and see that you don't track your protein.
    How do you know that you meet your requirements? Also calcium requirements are generally thought to be about 1200 mg per day and you are below that. Do you think that the 1200 is not necessary?
    Not trying to argue; really wondering, thanks.
  • FireBrand80
    Options
    foodpyramid-large.png

If you're talking about the RDA in protein of .8g/kg of bodyweight, then research has clearly shown superior lean mass retention while in a caloric deficit with a protein intake that is double that.
  • cjc166
    Options
    foodpyramid-large.png

As I often wonder about the protein intake in vegan diets I took a look at your diary and see that you don't track your protein.
    How do you know that you meet your requirements? Also calcium requirements are generally thought to be about 1200 mg per day and you are below that. Do you think that the 1200 is not necessary?
    Not trying to argue; really wondering, thanks.

My protein runs around 60g/day at 1500 calories, which excedes the FDA recommendation (65 g/2000 cal). I have it in my diary on my phone. And if you'll notice, calcium is measured in percent, not mg, so I typically hit around 100% or better.
  • cjc166
    Options
    foodpyramid-large.png

If you're talking about the RDA in protein of .8g/kg of bodyweight, then research has clearly shown superior lean mass retention while in a caloric deficit with a protein intake that is double that.

There is also a high correlation between animal product intake with cancer and heart disease, which is also clearly researched. (This is coming from an avid hunter and former high meat consumption kind of guy.)
  • FireBrand80
    Options
    There is also a high correlation between animal product intake with cancer and heart disease, which is also clearly researched. (This is coming from an avid hunter and former high meat consumption kind of guy.)

1. Correlation doesn't equal causation
    2. You're changing the subject
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How about just Low (er) Calorie?

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Which one is better for weight loss and why? Discuss.

this is based on your DNA. my wife and i did genetic tests and turns out i need a low fat diet and she needs a low carb diet to most effectively lose weight. i have to say that since doing this test im ACTUALLY losing weight for the first time in my life. i peaked at almost 420 after steadily gaining for like 8 years and over 140 lbs. ive always been told to limit carbs and stuff but turns out 55% of my diet is supposed to be some sort of healthy carb. so to answer your question, there IS NO ANSWER. it is 100% based on the individual and how your body works. the tests are very simple, ive helped a lot of people get them since i did mine.

I am very pleased with this answer lol. Thanks so much!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    foodpyramid-large.png

*in my Dana Carvey impersonates GHW Bush voice*

Not gonna do it!
  • cjc166
    Options

1. Correlation doesn't equal causation
    2. You're changing the subject

1) there are clinical and experimental studies which verify
    2) diet and health are absolutely related
  • MsSheri82
    Options
    IMO, low carb is better for weight loss, specifically fat loss. Your body needs fat (good fats: 2% milk, a drizzle of olive oil to cook chicken breast, some avocado on a salad, etc). We don't really NEED bread, pasta, twinkies, candy, etc.

Every day I shoot for 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.

I REALLY limit carbs like bread of any kind or color including tortillas and wraps, pasta, sugar, crackers, chips, etc. Most days I go without eating anything in the "grain" category except steel cut oats in the AM, sweet potatoes (no butter!), and brown rice.

But I don't feel guilty for having a big salad with lots of dark leafy greens, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, avocado, chicken, and my favorite Newman's Own restaurant style italian dressing (not light). It's got "carbs" but I don't personally count veggies as "carbs" even though they technically are. I eat as many veggies as I want. And it's got fat from the avocado and dressing. But it's super healthy, good protein, and guilt-free in my book.

I agree!....personally low fat doesnt work for me. I cant stick to it. Low carb is best for me and it keeps my edema under control.