Road Cycling

Any cyclers out there? I am looking to get into it, I have signed up for the Ride to Conquer Cancer which is in June 2013. I am looking for anyone who has any tips, good affordable bikes (1,000 or less, used is fine), equipment, techniques, etc!

Thanks!

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I did the Trek Across Maine (180 miles in 3 days) this spring and am approaching 1,500 cycled miles for the year, 1,000 of them commuter/car-replacement miles.

All on a $500 bike I purchased 5 years ago. OK, I ended up putting about $500 more into the bike this year because it had a few thousand miles on it and I hadn't maintained it properly, but it's still under $1,000 for 5 years and a good number of thousands of miles of decent service.

The bike I have is a Specialized Sirrus (base model). It's a Hybrid (T-handlebar) bike with a drive train equivalent to an entry-level road bike - nothing special but it gets the job done. I've added fenders for rain riding, racks and panniers to bring my lunch and clothes in to work, and puncture-resistant tires. I saw the updated "Elite" (about three steps above mine) at a local bike shop for $750.

About the best advice I have for you is:

1. Decide what you want to do with the bike. My Sirrus is NOT a particularly efficient bike, but I don't intend to cycle great distances every day. I ride about 30 miles a day to work and back, and there are lots of hills on that route so the lower gearing of a hybrid works well for me.

2. Go have a serious conversation with a local bike shop. Many of them will even have a lead on used bikes or carry used bikes on consignment.

3. Get it properly fitted by a good local mechanic (if the bike shop you visit does not have a mechanic on staff, keep looking).

In my case, the Sirrus is a perfect bike.

- It's very road-worthy (yes, carbon fiber bikes whoosh by me like I'm standing still, but I'm not a racer, I'm a commuter).
    - It has sufficient attachment points for fenders, front and rear racks, two water bottles, and a frame pump.
    - The T-bar handlebar is wider and gives me very precise steering, plus I prefer riding "sitting up" despite the efficiency loss because it's more comfortable to me and I feel like I can see better, which is important because the roads I commute on can get busy with 45-50MPH traffic.
    - The bike is extremely durable with solid wheels and a frame built to take a beating. It rides through potholes with ease, including ones that make me wince in pain. I've blown two spokes in 5 years, and that's it.
    - I can pick up a set of 700-sized tires with tread and go ride on trails if I wanted, then a quick tire change to smooths and I'm back on the road.

It's a "jack of all trades master of none" bike.

Your chosen ride will depend on your priorities. If you want to ride very fast for great distances, a road bike is your best choice. If you want maximum workout in minimum time, get a cheap Wally World special and for as long as it lasts you'll have to pedal really hard to get anywhere. If you want something suitable for light trail work, casual road rides up to about 40 miles, and routine trips to the grocery store, look seriously at a hybrid.
  • All of what myfitnessnmhoy said.

I go to a small family owned LBS and they would be perfect for you. Bob wants to give you the right bike for what you want to do. The bigger, glitzy stores just want to book $$$$. Visit a few stores in your hood and talk to someone about what you want. If you want to race and win races you need lightweight, top of the range. If you are just fitness training, you don't. If just road riding that one/two types of bike. If some road and some off road, that is another bike. Hopefully you will find a good honest LBS guy to guide you.

Lastly, buy the best, thickest shorts you can. You *kitten* will thank you :o)