sugar and water retention

Options
Hey guys!
I have noticed when I eat about 200-300 calories of sugary goodness (I have a severe sweet tooth) the next day I go up a little in my weight. Do we retain water when we eat sugar? I am well within my calories (last night I still had about 400 left after the candies) so I just want to know what the problem is.
Thanks!

Replies

• shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Salt causes water retention, check your sodium intake.
    Also, when it's that time of the month i tend to go up by almost 5 pounds the week before. Just drink as much water as possible to flush your system. Try to drink 8 cups a day, it helps clean out your liver and eventually your liver will start to feed off the fatty tissue surrounding it (aka spare tire).
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I retain more water with sugar and high carb than I do from salt.
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I just did a 'search' for the first time on here and found exactly what I was looking for.
    I generally stay within my calories except for the occassional (usually a couple times a month) fun day, but have noticed that there are certain times that I weigh myself that I am as much as 5 pounds heavier than normal. Then after a day of two back to my normal weight. I am generally using MFP to maintain my weight and stay motivated in my running. But like a lot of you, I watch the scale closely and hate to see it go up when I know I haven't over eaten. It's interesting and reassuring to see other people retain water with things other than just sodium. :smile:
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Oh yeah, sugar certainly will aid in water retention!

I've noticed if I eat too many sweets I end up feeling puffy and lethargic the next day without fail. Same goes for excessive carbs.