Afraid to Run...How do you build muscle?

Options
I'm a walker. I try to walk 25 miles a week, doing 7-8 miles (in about 2 1/2 hours) at a time on the weekends and making up the rest during the week. I need to step up my exercise (haven't lost anything in a few months now) and the Doc says I need to build muscle (I'm at 23% :frown: ).

My fiance thought that the best (and cheapest) way to build up my arms would be lifting some weights that we have at the house and that I could start running in an effort to build up the muscle in my legs.

I've tried running in the past (attempted C25K...failed after week one) but I can't seem to get anywhere. When I run, I'm actually slower than when I walk and I can only go maybe an 8th of a mile before I run out of air and have to start walking again.

Is there a trick to this? Some technique that makes it a little easier? Music that inspires runners? It's almost as if I'm afraid to run. I take baby steps (it feels) because I'm so afraid I'm going to run out of air. Mainly because that always seems to happen.

Help on this issue would be nice. Or, some alternative info on muscle building? A site that has good tutorials on dynamic lifting (when you only have 8 and 5 lb weights lol)?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You can do strength moves for you legs, but you aren't going to get very far with 5 and 8 lbs weights.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only way I was able to run was the C25K. Though I could run the full 30-45 minutes at the end of the program, I opted to join a run\walk 5K group. Almost a year later, I am training for my 3rd half marathon.

The interval training was key for me. Speed will come. If you want to run, you should build your endurance first. I am MUCH faster than I used to be, without trying really hard to run faster.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Running is hard for sure... If you smoke (anything) that will make it a ton harder to start too.. And for the record, there is nothing wrong with having to go back to a walk as frequently as you need to. You will build your tolerance as your lungs adjust. I do have to say that if you have any fear associated with a work out, you will find an excuse to not do it. It's just the way we work. And hey, maybe you are just not a runner. Try yoga. It has forever changed my life and workout habits - I never went through the "gain" as with other work outs and has brought a real internal balance and acceptance that I really needed in my life. Not to mention you tone and build muscle that I never had doing any other fitness routine and let me tell ya - I have tried them ALL. I still run because I enjoy it, but I do stretches afterwards because my body type tends to bulk around the hips and thighs. Give it a try - it's hard to find GOOD videos online, so I would recommend buying a cheap video at Target, etc and doing it at home. Take pics of your arms, legs (def butt) and abs for yourself for a before and after. Take the "after" for when you are able to complete the video without the person telling you what to do next. Then you'll be a believer too :flowerforyou:
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but what worked for me when I started out is running for a few minutes and walking for one, then run again for 2 minutes and walk for one....then once you're comfortable with that, increase the running time by just a little (say up to 3 minutes) and walk one...keep increasing your run time once you're comfortable with the previous time and start lessening your walk time. This process will take a bit of time as you build up your endurance and become comfortable with more running than walking. Eventually you'll be just running. That's what worked for me.

As for weights...you can do some weight bearing exercises like push ups, planks and such to build muscle. I've done Jillian Michaels Shred with Weights. its pretty good. She uses kettlebells but I just used regular hand weights.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    In most cases, running will not build muscle. I recommend reading "The New Lifting Rules for Women" because it does explain a lot about building muscle and strength, and what you need nutritionally to build those muscles.

I used to dread my workouts because I didn't know that I didn't have to make it all cardio. I truly despise running. I will walk for hours, but I hate running. I started lifting weights, and I have to stop myself from going to the gym to give my body a rest day. I have seen the weight melt off since I started lifting, and I am getting stronger every time. And I think it's great becasue I'm not concentrating on the number of calories I'm burning, but its a victory to see the number of pounds I can lift.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing interval training. If you're having a hard time running, maybe try building up to it. If you have access to a treadmill, or if you want to stay out doors, try the run walk method. If you're on the treadmill, i would recommend warming up with a moderate walk pace, like 3.0 - 3.5 mph, after 2 mins, pick it up to 4.0, which should be a light job or fast walk. keep going up in speed every minute. Take it down to a 3.0 or higher instead of stopping if you can. Do this routine at least 3 times a week, if you can do more do more. This may help build up your endurance and help you practice your breathing. I would say if you do this consistently for a month or so, you should be ready to run more than a mile each day.
    Good luck!!! you can do it, just stay positive, consistent, and willing :happy:
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't see your post till after mine. I think the tips you're providing are great!!
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    With the running, I'd have to say "try, try again". I went from dying on week one of C25k and am currently on week 4 which in my case is a two solid 5 minute runs and two 3 minute runs. It doesn't take your body to long to adjust just need to do a little bit more than you think you can everyday and you'll be surprised how quick your body reacts. I just stick with the week I'm on until I am not out of breath after the 5 minute cool down.

Also for leg strength there is always cycling.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    running is GREAT.
    but it is not for building muscle.

Two separate goals that are best met separately.
    Run.... but lift weights for muscle.

"The New Lifting Rules for Women" is highly recommended...
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I went ahead and bought the book everyone recommended!!