Snap,crackle,crunch...knees!

Options
jawheb
jawheb Posts: 295 Member
Whenever I do lunges or squats my knees crack, snap whatever. It doesn't really hurt but it's a really disturbing sound. I'm 35 so I'm sure it has to do with age. Been thinking about putting glucosimine chondroydant in my supplement intake. Anyone have luck with this. I'm sure I misspelled it. Wasn't in my dictionary! Also do knee wraps help? Thanks!

Replies

• 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have always had that too and I did find that the Glucosamine (sp?) supplements helped me. So much so that I ran out and I haven't bought them again because the crackle has gone away... But yoga also rebuilds all that yummy stuff so that could've helped too. Oh, and I've never used the wraps so I can't help there but my guess is they can't hurt!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Knee wraps help BUT they also reduce strengthening.

Describe your squat form.

Also, what works for me, is patella 'stretching' exercises I learned from my PT. Hard to describe.. you kind of slide the patella to one side and pull up lightly, then the other, a few times. should be done with leg perfectly straight. Google the appropriate technqiue, pelase.
  • jawheb
    Options
    I have a trainer, it's not my form. I'm just older. Just want the sound to stop
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    Before you do any lunges or squats, really warm up the knees.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Ok yasmine, I'll do more warm ups tomorrow then.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, it's not really a problem if it's not painful. I'm 32 and take Glucosamine and Chondroitin twice daily. It doesn't matter. Unless it hurts it's not a problem. At least, not a problem you can do anything about.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    This happens to me but with my arms when I try and do pull ups, maybe it's that we're overexerting those ligaments/ joints? It doesn't hurt but I don't think they should be cracking* either
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Im 47, I have had the snap crackle pop knees for years. I even had a boss who could tell I was walking down the hall due to clicking. I am now doing cortizone injections. I feel so much better. I have them down about every 6 months. I did try things like the glucosamine, but I got horrible heart burn.

What ever helps, its kinda like differant strokes for differant folks. Or knees in this case.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    try stretching out your legs after your warm up. pay close attention to the quadriceps, hip flexors, hamstrings, and calf muscles. 10 reps each at about 30 sec-60 seconds each. stretching should feel slight pain but NOT intense, try to push a little farther with each rep. do this only after a warm up!
  • dngortegae
    dngortegae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Stretch and try the elliptical machine, it is supposedly easier on your knees than the impact from running. Also a good glucosamine supplement would probably help.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    my knees sound like I am popping bubble wrap when I walk upstairs. I take supplements and I have lost a lot of weight but still snap crackle pop...they don't hurt there is no pain. When I talked to the doctor he suggested the supplements that I am taking but said if there was no pain there was no cause to deep deeper into the problem becuase they "only" make the noise when I am walking upstairs..normal walking is silent.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and have had the same "problem" ever since i can remember, even as a child. In my case it deffo wasn't down to my age!! :laugh:
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My right knee has done that to me also for some time now. I'll try some of the suggestions here also!
  • jawheb
    Options
    Stretch and try the elliptical machine, it is supposedly easier on your knees than the impact from running. Also a good glucosamine supplement would probably help.
    Yes sadly I had to quit running outside everyday. I use my elliptical for the most part of cardio days. I still try to get on the track once a week to run because I miss it so much. Getting old sucks!
  • ThatMrs99
    Options
    Thanks for this input. I have this issue as well and always assumed I was just stuck with it. I'll look into glucosamine and continue with my yoga :)