Where to start? Horse lovers??

Options

Replies

• bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in natural horsemanship also. I taught my mare to be caught in pasture by "roundpenning" her but, in the pasture not the round pen. She decided it was way too much work. It was a lot of exercise for me, too. Roundpenning is definitely easier in the round pen! My horses are both barefoot. I used to shoe my gelding, because my trainer said he "had to have" shoes. His feet are so much better without them. He is very flatfooted, which makes him tender footed sometimes, but I have boots for him which work well. His feet are only bad in wet weather. I idodine the soles which helps. I don't do a lot of round penning, because I don't have a round pen, but I do a lot of the rope halter work, and I think it does wonders for your relationship. I also like John Lyons magazine "Perfect Horse." Have you seen it? I like the way he breaks things down to the tiniest steps and the next thing you know you are doing amazing things if you follow the steps and teach the horse each phase. I too think that Parelli is a little "gimicky" but to each his own. His methods work well for a lot of people, and I think that the movement towards teaching and educating horses and people has gone a long way towards making a lot of horses lives better. A lot of people think that you should be able to ride a horse because it is a horse, and understand little or nothing of its phycology or its mental health needs.

Wow, been babbling long enough! I love horses, have ridden since I was 5 years old. They are my life!:drinker: :bigsmile: :happy:

Since Sully was round-penned as a young 'un, I've taken those techniques and adapted them to the longe line. It's been very effective for us. I know that before I did that, he was so difficult to longe, he dragged me all over, especially in open spaces. He's 1600lbs, and he knows it! So I started using some of the techniques used by Richard Winters (he's absolutely awesome), and suddenly, I had a horse I could longe anywhere. Now he responds to my body language and never pulls on me. I used to ignorantly longe and longe to 'take the edge off' before riding, but now, I put him on the line, request a few manuevers, and usually only send him around once or twice in each direction. When I'm done, I have a horse with an edge but that actually listens to what I'm asking. It's amazing!
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    I have been interested in Natural Horsemanship since I audited a John Lyons clinic in the 80's. But two kids, husband and house kept me from working my horses like I would have liked. But now that the kids are grown and I am in my midlife crisis phase and stripping myself of the wife/mom/housewife stereotype it is time to start again. I believe in natural horsekeeping.

After years of being belittled and belittling myself I am feeling like a butterfly emerging out of the chrysalis, one small crack at a time. I need to push myself more rather than just let life do it for me. I blogged about my latest "adventure" of joining a Dressage club.

Along with the real horses I am also involved in the model horse world, paint and do photography. How about the rest of you?

Yep, artist, writer and collect Breyer horses... had over a hundred at one time and had to sell a few, but still find myself buying the occasional model. They fascinate me!

Ange
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    When I'm not at work, the most boring part of my life, I enjoy reading and exploring the lovely state of Minnesota. This year, I discovered just how much beauty we have contained in the state park system. It's awesome! I now enjoy hiking and snowshoeing.

I'm a book hoarder and enthusiast, but my true passions are my volunteer work. I have been volunteering with a therapeutic horseback riding program since 1998 and am currently going through the process to become a certified therapeutic horseback riding instructor through NARHA. I also coach a Special Olympics equestrian team and am an assistant coach for bowling and basketball teams.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In the winter I occupy my time by reading and knitting. Those are my other hobbies. I am currently working on next Christmas' gifts while we still have crappy weather. And I recently started running.

I have used the longe line with my belgian cross also (He is 1550 pounds). I used it to take the edge off, but not by letting him tear around for an hour. When he was younger, expecially in winter when the weather was brisk, there would be days that I definitely felt safer NOT riding. I would longe him instead, but I used it as a training tool. He will do walk/canter/walk transiitons on the longe by voice. It is also an excellent way to get a horse fit before getiing on his back for the first time in the spring. I will usually longe for 2-3 weeks, doing lots of transitions to strengthen those back muscles that haven't been used all winter before getting on and riding for the first time. I have the added benefit that he is at that point in tune with me and mannerly for the first ride of the year.

My horses are not stabled, so I do blanket them, and they have a shelter that they can go in, and that I can close them into if it comes to that, but I only do that when the weather is VERY bad. I use a lot less bedding that way as they will usually go outside to do their business when they have the choice. They are much happier and healthier not being stabled. I have always blanketed, though, and I don't like to go out on cold, wet days and see them shivering, so I put turnouts on them. Takes less feed that way if they don't have to try to keep themselves warm. It has been so warm here this week that they are both naked right now, however, and loving rolling in the snow. I do take the blankets off whenever I can, as I don't blanket them in the fall until the weather gets very bad, so that they both grow good coats each year.

I was tempted to try riding yesterday, just to hop on for a minute, but they were both running aroud bucking b/c of the warm weather, and the footing isn't good enough for longing first so I didn't. :ohwell:
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    My horse isn't stabled either. All of the horses at the boarding stable where I keep my horse are pasture horses only, but there are six stalls available for containment in case of illness or injury. My horse would kick the barn down if I kept her cooped in a pen for long. Needless to say, she doesn't care for being in a horse trailer, either, but is getting better about loading!

I would longe my horse, but she stands there and looks at me like I'm an idiot. I can't blame her for not wanting to go around in circles on a line, so I just take it easy and do lots of warmups when riding. She definitely has her own personality and ideas about how things should go. I think most of the time she thinks humans are just plain weird.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Lol, that's funny. I bet they think we're weird too. I just got in from an hour long mud-removal and grooming session. You gotta love Miracle Groom! Sully was reveling in the attention, as with this illness I haven't had much time for him the past few weeks.

I don't stable, either, but do have a stall for emergencies. I always bring him up when there's a threat of ice! He's much happier on pasture, though, and much easier to handle. He's young, coming 6, and still has much to learn.

I can get him to trot and lope with voice cues. And I fell off a couple months ago... actually, he fell on top of me! and my foot caught in the stirrup when he got back up. We were on the side of a paved road. He started to walk off with me dragging, but I just used my 'whoa, up, Bud' and he stopped in his tracks and stood while I freed myself. It was a rewarding moment!
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Wow, that could have been a scary moment had he not listened! Sully sounds like an absolute sweetheart. My girl, Sadie, is about 13 years old and goes mainly of leg cues and voice as well. She has wonderful brakes and tends to stop whenever someone jumps off her or starts to go off balance, which has been very helpful in teaching beginners to ride.

After being outside today and reading this thread, I want to go trail riding. Where is spring??
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Bonkers - that is so good about Sully. That could have turned into a very bad situation. This is why ground training and the vocal cues are so good - so you can apply them in a situation like that to save you and your horse from injury. Good boy! :smile:

Gavin isn't blanketed either - I have a blanket for if he is really cold for whatever reason, but I have only taken it out of the package once - to see how it fit him. :laugh:

It was in the 50's today, so I went for a ride! It was great to be on Gavin's back. He was in the mood to run around a little too, making him quite agreeable. I ride him in a bitless halter/bridle if I didn't say that before. He is very responsive to that and gets pissed off if I try to ride him with a bit anymore. :laugh:

As for my other hobbies, I read, knit, and run! :smile: Well, I am a new runner (started in October) - I ran today too though - to enjoy this wonderful weather!

hajohnson - I hear you! I want spring to come soon! :smile: I am happy to hear that you enjoy volunteering. When I was in college I volunteered at horse rescue for a few years (until I moved and graduated). My horse was adopted from there. :smile:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    wow...I am loving the intererst in this thread. Thanks for all the posts guys. It is really nice and informative to be able to hop on here and have fun and learn at the same time hehe

Steph, Im so jealous taht you got to go for a ride. I had to work 10 hours today and even though it was still nice up here (for ontario anyway) I was stuck inside!!! I am hoping to go for a run tomorrow morning if the weather is still nice :) .... next goal is to register for the half marathon and keep running!

hajohnson thats so great about your horse stopping as soon as you get off etc. The best horse I ever trained was Zoe and he was like that. even if I ever fell off he would automatically stop and look down as if to say "hey...whatcha doin down there?" It always amazed me that he was so willing to make sure that the rider was taken care of. I really do beleve that the most important thing you ever learn about horses doenst come from what you read or who you talk to, but from the bond you develop with your horse! That bond will allow you to learn everythign you will ever need to know to take care of the horse and how to ride him/her!

I love having that bond. Each horse I own has a very individual bond and I love that every time I get to see them they all react simmilarly but yet oh-so-different at the same time! You guys all sound like you have those wonderful bonds too :)
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Stephanie: It's nice that you guys are having nice weather to get out and run. I started running in November and am bummed that I can't run outside right now with the snow and ice. At least we got out and went for a walk tonight. It's in the mid 30s during the day right now.

maddiebabe: That's awesome that you're going to register for a half marathon. I figure this summer I'll work on 5ks and work my way to a half marathon next year. By Thanksgiving, I'd like to be able to do the 8K they hold at 6am Thanksgiving day!
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    hajohnson :) thats awesome! wow 6am is a crazy start time for the race but you can totally do it! I never even thought i could do a 5km and after 5 months of training (becuase i had to re-do a few weeks because i slacked off) i ran it...of course it was a little slow and i finished at a time of 42:12 but i figured I can only improve from there!!!!

You will totally be able to do it though, and the nice part was I found the more I ran, the stronger my legs and core got and that helped me out tremendously with my riding as well...gotta love the extra benefits hehe! Let me know if you need any motivation, help, or encouragement!!!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the running definitely helps the riding! :smile: I feel much more in control on my horse's back now (when he misbehaves a little bit). Also, I think that the next time I bareback ride, I am sure that I will have more balance as well. :smile: I can't wait for the day that I have enough fitness to swing myself on Gavin's back without any assistance from climbing on objects. That is my goal (though I am 5'3" and he is 16.1 hh. :laugh:).
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Stephanie: That's funny because being able to get my horse without assistance has always been one of my goals. I'm lacking the athleticism more than anything since my horse is only 14.3 and I'm 5'6"! Looks like I should make that a goal for 2010!

maddiebabe: Thank you for the encouragement, I really appreciate. I'm finding that I'm starting to enjoy running but I think it will be much easier when I can do it outside again. I know for sure I'll be registering for a 5K in June, which is a fundraiser for the therapeutic horseback riding program I volunteer with. If you're interested, check out our website www.rivervalleyriders.org.

Have a great day!
    Heather
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Maddie, I so get you on the 'bond'. I always thought before I owned a horse that it was so much horse puckey, if you know what I mean! But as the years pass and Sully and I grow together, that bond is obvious. And so important. Every time we have a little adventure together, I find we're relying on one another a little more. His trust in me has matured immensely in this past year.

At the end of Sept last year, he got caught in some rust wire and cut a rear pastern badly. It got infected, and I almost lost him. It took 2 months to nurse him back, and even my vet didn't have much hope, she said the cut went all the way to the joint capsule and grazed a tendon. I couldn't afford to hospitalize him, but I told her that I would do everything I could to bring him back. I didn't have money, but I had all the love and time in the world for him. She was skeptical, but put him on a rigorous round of antibiotics, and taught me how to clean and dress the wound. He was on stall rest for over a month.

He's made a full recovery, and not only that, I'm able to ride him again! And the experience deepened our relationship even further. He's become much more reliant on me, and waits at the gate now when I come out, which was something he never did before. He's never run from me, but always made me come to him.

I actually got out for a ride after work today! It was awesome, but boy, after so long, I'm hurting.

I can't wait till I can climb up without a stepladder too. Yes, my mounting block is a Rubbermaid step ladder :tongue: I'm 5'10, and most of my height is in my legs! All I have to do is get rid of the junk in the trunk!

Y'all have a great night!:flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    HI all! Getting in on the thread! I've always been a horse person and started riding around 10yrs old. I worked at a trail riding ranch in college on the weekends and then full time after college for a bit. Married a former cowboy / farrier. Had three horses but sold 2 when I got pregnant - though I didn't want to, it made sense to do (who needs a green 3 yr old and a 2 yr old with an infant?). I kept the guy in my profile, but he died unexpectedly and suddenly Nov a year ago. So I am currently completly out of the horse world :sad: and miss it.
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    HI all! Getting in on the thread! I've always been a horse person and started riding around 10yrs old. I worked at a trail riding ranch in college on the weekends and then full time after college for a bit. Married a former cowboy / farrier. Had three horses but sold 2 when I got pregnant - though I didn't want to, it made sense to do (who needs a green 3 yr old and a 2 yr old with an infant?). I kept the guy in my profile, but he died unexpectedly and suddenly Nov a year ago. So I am currently completly out of the horse world :sad: and miss it.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there and know how hard it is! Welcome to the group.

bonkers: I lost a horse to a similar injury to what your Sully had. Unfortunately, there weren't many options for me, as I was in high school and didn't have the money or resources to take care of my guy. The vet said he would have to be on pain medication the rest of his life and I decided letting him go peacefully was the better option. I still miss him and that was in 1998! I'm so glad your guy made it through.

I'm hoping to get out and see my girl tomorrow after work. There just doesn't seem to be enough time or daylight lately!
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Yeah, I lucked out I guess. Sully is my first horse. I waited for 30 years to get him! So I've never lost one before. I hope it's a long time before I experience that.

Went out this morning and gave him a good rubdown and threw on his raincoat. We've got more nasty weather coming in tonight and tomorrow, meaning ice. :grumble: I really don't like winter! But the rain started as I fastened the last buckle! Good timing, huh. I usually don't worry about his getting wet, but when he's wet and then the temp plummets, I find prevention is a better method! He'd rather wear his slicker than be stuck inside.

I'm at least glad I got some quality time with him the past couple of days.

Time to workout... I'm using Jillian Micheals Hot Bod in a Box for circuit training. It's doing wonders for my core strength!:drinker:
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    I love, love, love everything Jillian Michaels but I don't have the Hot Bod in a Box yet! I have several of her videos, including the Biggest Loser videos that she does. She's tough but she definitely knows what she's talking about!
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Argh, we're having an ice storm.:grumble: It wasn't supposed to amount to anything, so I didn't bring Sully up. Did blanket him, but now I wished he was safe in his stall. :sad: Oh well, I gave him extra hay for the night... thankfully it's so muddy that the ground isn't too bad.
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Good morning,

I actually got out to see Sadie last night, as the weather that was forecasted didn't hit us. It was a miracle, but she let me catch her within 10 minutes. As her reward for being so good, I gave her lots of pets, praise and a handful of treats and let her go. If she would let me catch her in 10-15 minutes every time, I would be more than happy with the progress we've made. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's huge for us!

Have a great day,
    Heather