Your thoughts on the Body Bugg?

Options

Replies

• b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love love love Fitbit. I have been using it for about a month and am so motivated to get up and move. The website is layed out well and you can challenge yourself against other users. Upload is automatic...every 15 minutes I think. It will also hold a weeks worth of data if you are not plugged into a USB port. Fitbit also works with many other rewards programs. I earn Amazon gift credit or other discounts (Earndit, HealthMonth & Nexercise). There are many others to chose from.

I am also using the Aria scale which works in conjuction with fitbit. I step on the scale and it updates my fitbit website automatically.

I bought Fitbit at Amazon so it was also $99.....well worth it. No fees to use the website.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    The Body Bugg is on sale for $99 and I'm seriously considering buying one....who has used one? What are your thoughts? Is it worth the investment? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Where did you find it for $99? I have a FitBit but I've thought abuot getting this too (I love my workout gadgets! I also would feel more comfy wearing this than my Fitbit while I sweat and work out due to the size)
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The Body Bugg is on sale for $99 and I'm seriously considering buying one....who has used one? What are your thoughts? Is it worth the investment? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Where did you find it for $99? I have a FitBit but I've thought abuot getting this too (I love my workout gadgets! I also would feel more comfy wearing this than my Fitbit while I sweat and work out due to the size)

It's on Groupon here in Dallas. Was also on Amazon and on 24 Hour Fitness website.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Now I'm leaning more towards the FitBit if it's that comparable. Decisions decisions!!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I thought the FitBit was basically to count your steps since it is just attached to your clothes? Interesting. Now I'm so torn! The battery on my HRM is dying, got the notification this morning. I'm taking this as a sign I need to purchase something new and fresh. Just don't know what!

It does mostly count your steps, but it also measures your intensity level to help figure out how many calories you burn. I know the BodyBugg says it goes by sweat levels/body temp, etc., and it is supposed to give you a more accurate reading, but when I wore them together, my daily averages were always between a few hundred calories of each other, at the most. So I just decided to go with the FitBit. I also love seeing my sleep patterns, and the fact that it syncs with this site.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

I thought the FitBit was basically to count your steps since it is just attached to your clothes? Interesting. Now I'm so torn! The battery on my HRM is dying, got the notification this morning. I'm taking this as a sign I need to purchase something new and fresh. Just don't know what!

It does mostly count your steps, but it also measures your intensity level to help figure out how many calories you burn. I know the BodyBugg says it goes by sweat levels/body temp, etc., and it is supposed to give you a more accurate reading, but when I wore them together, my daily averages were always between a few hundred calories of each other, at the most. So I just decided to go with the FitBit. I also love seeing my sleep patterns, and the fact that it syncs with this site.

I think you have sold me on the FitBit! :)
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Comfort wasn't much of an issue for me. Maybe if I had a long day, I might find it irritating toward the end of the night, but it's easy enough to slip off if that's the case. I made it a point to keep my strap clean -- especially if I was working out a lot -- to avoid a build up of bacteria. May sound weird -- but I'd toss my strap in the dishwasher.

great idea! mine is getting funky!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    my problem with the device is that it basically guesses at your calorie burn. it uses accelerometers to track motion, but if you are riding a bike it would be fairly inaccurate as you dont have much arm motion, another example would be when doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) since he has no idea what your heart rate is, it would try to estimate your burn. My wife has one and she likes it as it gives a general idea of the calorie burn/ steps, etc.. I purchased one, but being a data geek, i researched it more and switched back to my HRM.

they should give you the option of the arm band for general daily wear, but to couple that with a chest strap HRM function when working out to increase the accuracy.. IMHO
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have one and got good info from it, and I like how much it motivated me (I ALWAYS take my dog on a longer evening walk, watching my steps add up). Came with a 6 month subscription and I doubt I'll want it beyond that (I'll already know what I burn by then). I got it for $79 using a link:

http://bodybugg.extole.com/a/clk/4l6MGq

You get a code from that link that you use as a coupon code on the site and it takes $20 off.

Edited to add: I learned that you can buy new 6 month subscriptions on eBay for only $19.99 - the feedback on them is nearly 100% so they definitely work. AND if you tuck the bodybugg into your bra strap you get info almost identical to wearing it on your arm :)

Ohhhh I am so going to try that!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Now I'm leaning more towards the FitBit if it's that comparable. Decisions decisions!!

There are plenty of YouTube reviews for both. I have a FitBit and seeing how sedentary I was displayed on the website really made me want to get up and move. It also tracks stairs climbed and hills. I read somewhere on the website that it counts 1 flight of stairs for every 10 foot increase in elevation. I also like the challenge badges that you can earn each day: 10,000 steps, 10 flights of stairs, etc.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I just bought my BodyMedia Fit last week. I have been plateued at 170 for the past 2 months and I have lost 1.2 pounds since this past Friday! I have come to find out that on a gym day I burn at least 2600 calories and I was only eating about 1400 or so! I love this thing!! I just went for a walk during lunch (I work in Manhattan) and I checked my calorie burn before and after my 50 minute walk... I burned about 240 calories! The food tracking database does kind of suck but I have been entering in stuff on my own to try it anyway. I do like the info the reports give you much better than what you see on MFP (But I still love MFP).
  • GreekByMarriage
    Options
    Oh... I tried the FitBit a few months ago... I could not get the damn thing connected to any computer AT ALL! Their customer service was no help either. I have had no issues at all with the BodyMedia Fit :-)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have one and got good info from it, and I like how much it motivated me (I ALWAYS take my dog on a longer evening walk, watching my steps add up). Came with a 6 month subscription and I doubt I'll want it beyond that (I'll already know what I burn by then). I got it for $79 using a link:

You get a code from that link that you use as a coupon code on the site and it takes $20 off.

Edited to add: I learned that you can buy new 6 month subscriptions on eBay for only $19.99 - the feedback on them is nearly 100% so they definitely work. AND if you tuck the bodybugg into your bra strap you get info almost identical to wearing it on your arm :)

Definitely try it! Take the bugg off the armband - It's about at the level it would be if it was on your arm. Make sure it's the right way up, and tuck it into the side of your band on your left side. I especially do this when wearing sleeveless. Seriously not any major difference in calories or steps.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

The 24 hour fitness website, and use a link to get a $20 off code and it's $79.

• GreekByMarriage
    Options

Definitely try it! Take the bugg off the armband - It's about at the level it would be if it was on your arm. Make sure it's the right way up, and tuck it into the side of your band on your left side. I especially do this when wearing sleeveless. Seriously not any major difference in calories or steps.

I am going to have to try this as well... just to make sure I put it in the right place... you are talking about the band part of the bra like underneath your arm?
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    I am going to have to try this as well... just to make sure I put it in the right place... you are talking about the band part of the bra like underneath your arm?

Yes, exactly. Sorry, it's confusing talking about band/strap/etc. It goes right underneath your left arm, connectors to your skin of course, facing the proper way up. Give it a try on an average day then compare the results to when you wore it on your arm. Seriously awesome. Though usually I just put it on my arm, I hate it when I'm wearing sleeveless!
  • GreekByMarriage
    Options

Yes, exactly. Sorry, it's confusing talking about band/strap/etc. It goes right underneath your left arm, connectors to your skin of course, facing the proper way up. Give it a try on an average day then compare the results to when you wore it on your arm. Seriously awesome. Though usually I just put it on my arm, I hate it when I'm wearing sleeveless!

This would be great during work if I am wearing sleeveless... everybody asks me about it! I honestly do not mind the arm strap at all though. I thought it might bug the crap out of me but I don't even notice it is there!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit and wear it in my bra all the time except during exercise. I have consistantly lost an average of 1-2 pounds per week since I got mine back at the end of March. I found it eye opening as to how many calories that I actually burn on a daily basis. I also find that it helps to push me to do more in my workouts to get my numbers up. The food database sucks so I log all y food here on MFP and then just enter it as one lump sum on the Body Media site.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    So you can take the body bug off the band and wear it by your bra strap? It doesn't fall out? Not uncomfortable?
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As long as your bra is tight enough, it stays in place just fine. It isn't uncomfortable at all. I don't even feel it.