Exercising without Dieting....per se.............

Options
I read a post a few days ago from a girl who wanted support/info on dieting without exercising......well how about the opposite?
Anyone out there been successful in exercising without dieting (per se) and successful? I did this several years ago....I lost 46 lbs in a year simply by eating less and exercising more. I really didnt even try to eat less I just noticed that once I got into the routine of exercising daily (I would either bike about 15 miles, walk about 45 mins or go to gym and do the elliptical for about 30 mins daily...one of those a day not all..lol) that I just wasnt as hungry and ate less. My biggest hardship was cutting down on the mt dews....i am addicted to that stuff!!

Now here it is several years later...I am 50 now...and after a few life hardships including a bit of depression I managed to put that 46 lbs back on. So I am trying it again. I set my goal for 1 lb a week for 52 weeks.

Would like to hear some stories of anyone else (especially the 50+ crowd) that has been successful at this.

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Define dieting.

If you're going to be putting in the effort to exercise, the least you can do is make sure that you're getting the appropriate nutrition to support your goals. If you consider that to be dieting, then so be it.

Personally, I've made a decision to limit my carb intake, focusing on getting them from veggies rather than grains and sugars, and eating higher protein. I don't consider this to be a diet, because it's sustainable for me. It's more a tweak of what I eat to support my lifting heavy object habit. I have a couple of meals where I eat pretty much whatever I feel like in a week, but generally stick to keeping my macros in balance.

I don't consider this a diet, it's a lifestyle choice. : )
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    No. It's 90% diet. You cannout out-exercise a bad diet.

You can diet and not exercise though.
  • smalltank
    Options
    wont do much if you dont reduce carb/sugar intake
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Absolutely correct!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I guess just eat healthy, if you're not interested on cutting calories and doing any special food preparations, but it is more important to eat healthy than exercise although both are important. Exercise will give you more energy and will be a good jumping off point to start getting in shape
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

This.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    You cannout out-exercise a bad diet.

^^^This right here.
  • drapes73
    Options

Define a bad diet. Someone that regularly runs long distances will be eating significantly more calories than someone who doesn't train at all. Exercise will be the difference.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options

Absolutely correct!

Thank you. Couldn't agree more. Just eat clean and smart.
  • abetterjune
    Options
    My best friend has lost about 15 lbs now by adding exercise to her lifestyle. She already ate fairly clean (she's gf and df which helps, I think!), she just started exercising (weights, cardio, more bike rides, etc) for about an hour or two maybe 3 or 4 days a week. The only thing she changed about her diet was that she stopped "cleaning the kids plates" after meals or snacks. If you're a parent, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I was super skeptical when she began this, mostly because she's about 5'3" and I'd guesstimate eats around 2500 calories/ day and I thought... NO WAY will she lose any weight! The numbers just don't add up. BUT hey, 3 months later, she's down more than 1lb/ week on average.

So. Depending where you're starting from with your nutrition intake, I do think it's possible.

Edit to add: Before beginning to exercise, her weight was slowly, but steadily rising, as well! So not only did that stop... but then she started losing!
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I exercise ALOT but haven't met my goals because the eating is such a large part of it! But you have MFP to help you along the way! Good luck!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Well... not to be contrary to most of the posters so far, but when I was younger, I could eat anything I wanted and exercise alone dropped any excess weight right off with no change in diet whatsoever. Guess it was the high metabolism of youth. But now that I'm older, it's both exercise and diet. Alas, exercise alone doesn't do it any more, though I sure wish it did! I think most people most of the time primarily "lose weight in the kitchen", but I think it depends on other factors -- like age and metabolism -- as well.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Sorry; I agree with most though I say 99% is diet and it shouldn't be a "diet"; that implies a short term fix. This should be a long term life style change.

I ate healthy but didn't really watch my calories and I exercised a TON, I ran a 3 miles 3x per week; I took martial arts classes 7-8 x per week and weight trained 3x per week plus practiced martial arts every day. Wanna know how many pounds I put on over the years? About 35....they just slipped on without me even noticing and one day I woke up and I was 38 and fat.

Exercise without watching what you eat doesn't work; sorry. Calories in - Calories Out = ???
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    any binge can screw up even the best workout. I'd watch both
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am kind of sort of trying to do this myself. I am giving it a 2 months trial, then it's either back to counting, or continue, depending on the results.
    But I have made some changes in my diet: no pop, less alcohol, a lot less sugar and carbs, more protein. And my main change - I quit (or am trying really hard to quit) eating past my hunger.
    I run about 20-25 kilometers a week and have started adding in some body weight strength exercises...
    I think it should work, since I am eating roughly the same, maybe even a bit less then when I stuck to 1500 calories a day. But the results remain to be seen (I've been doing this for a week now, lost inches but not pounds).
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    I did it a couple years ago, didnt change my diet at all, and did 30 day shred and zumba a little and dropped 16lbs
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Define a bad diet. Someone that regularly runs long distances will be eating significantly more calories than someone who doesn't train at all. Exercise will be the difference.

This is silly, and I'm not going to play. She's not talking about running a marathon.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Except that's not what the OP is saying. The OP isn't saying Eat All Of The Pizza and then exercise it off. Back before we got HRM obsessed and logging crazy, you would eat your normal maintenance amount or slightly less, and exercise without people yelling at you to eat back your exercise calories. In essence, your exercise was your deficit, except it had the benefit of improving your heart rate or making you look good with your shirt off at the beach as well.

That's the method I used successfully for years and years. I had never heard of eating back calories before I joined MFP this year. But I was more a member of the exercise community that sometimes cared about dirt while MFP is set up more as a diet community that exercises. That's not a knock, as both obviously are very effective. Just a difference in philosophy, is all.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I always kept fit by exercising and eating a healthy diet, but not dieting. I did not restrict my food, or count calories. I ate healthy foods the majority of the time (pretty high in fats because I ate a lot of nuts and oils). I never went hungry and I would eat at a fast food place now and then as well. I never thought about weight. I just focused on being active and being fit. I just started this calorie watching thing recently, and not for any particular reason, just another aspect of exploring more ways of being healthy and fit (and I think it will help me keep my fitness as I am getting older). But, my diet was exceptionally healthy. And I never had a lot of weight to lose. I have had two children, though (and didn't need to try too hard to lose the weight because I ate healthy and exercised a lot for the fun of it).