Eat,Fast and live longer

Options
Hey everybody

A couple weeks ago i saw a program on BBC called Eat,fast, and live longer, the very next day i started trying one of the diets featured on the show ( intermittent fasting, every other day eat no more than 500 calories and in between eat whatever i want).
I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this and what their results have been? So far I am happy with my results from this form of eating. The first week was really hard, i would basically just binge on my "feast" days but now my eating is alot more controlled and i am no longer starving on my "fast" days.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Already loads of posts about this, there is one turning up everyday. Maybe try using 'search' ?
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ah, I thought it was 600. Well anyway, I did it for the first time today and found it pretty easy. no hunger whatsoever. obviously i'll have to leave it a bit longer, and see what effect it has on the scales, before giving the thumbs up or down.

It seems everybody i know is giving it a try though!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody

A couple weeks ago i saw a program on BBC called Eat,fast, and live longer, the very next day i started trying one of the diets featured on the show ( intermittent fasting, every other day eat no more than 500 calories and in between eat whatever i want).
    I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this and what their results have been? So far I am happy with my results from this form of eating. The first week was really hard, i would basically just binge on my "feast" days but now my eating is alot more controlled and i am no longer starving on my "fast" days.

There are many ways and methods of intermittent fasting.

I'm having great success. I've tried several methods and they are all great.

IF is the best tool I have for weight loss.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did 5:2 last week (Tuesday & Thursday) and I will say that I was satisfied with the results, I had a big jump in weight on the following days. The only concern I have is that I lost more weight than my calculations predicted (by 25%) so I am curious to see how it works this week. I am back in tomorrow with fruit and eggs for breakfast and fish and salad for dinner...Excellent!
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is my third week doing it and loving it. A couple of fasting days a week and eating pretty normally at the weekend. I'm not losing any weight faster but I can go out for dinner, visit friends and no one knows I'm' on a diet. The best feeling.
  • dumper123
    Options
    Hi,
    I also saw the progamme and I started the diet on August 15th and apart from a week on holiday stuck to it.
    However I did 2 days on the trot every week and not alternate days. To date I have lost 20lb and feel much better.
    I use myfitnesspal every week to measure my calories and it is obviously working. I have recently started running again and am feeling much fitter due to the less weight I am carrying.
    Another side to it I found is I can't drink as much alcohol as I used to as I now get killer hangovers and feel terrible for a day or two which is another big plus as I am now drinking less as well.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can attest to the effectiveness of Intermittent Fasting... I employ it daily as a trainer with clients... i have been personally doing it Leangains style for the past few years with amazing results.

Though, I don't agree with the documentary which claims you need to reduce protein intake to be successful... nor do I agree with a 72 hr fast. For anyone exercising, protein is crucial to maintain a good metabolic rate.

I have compared several common intermittent fasting protocols here: http://bit.ly/TDO7Ne
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Vaisaxena: Thanks for the link / analysis!

I tried fasting twice one week apart -- once a 36 hour (1 day, 2 nights), then a 24 hour (1 day, 1 night), then I sort of gave up on it since its difficult and I was seemingly doing an okay job keeping calories low.

I've done a bad job at calorie restriction the last 3 weeks -- I'm not gaining weight, just not losing at the pace I want even though I've increased exercise.

So today I've decided to try another 24 or 36 hour fast. Maybe just undertaking the fast prior helped me mentally eat healthier the day or two afterwards.