Moderation??

So, when it comes to 'bad foods' or treating yourself 'they' say everything in moderation. What does moderation mean? Once a day, once a week, once a month? There never seems to be a definition with that and my definition would depend on my mood and could easily turn into a binge!

What do you think?

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    So, when it comes to 'bad foods' or treating yourself 'they' say everything in moderation. What does moderation mean? Once a day, once a week, once a month? There never seems to be a definition with that and my definition would depend on my mood and could easily turn into a binge!

What do you think?

I think you have to know yourself. For me, moderation, when moderation is what is really called for, is the hardest thing. For some people it's genuinely easier to give up a food or relegate it to very special occasions than to have to think all the time about whether the indulgence is earned.

As for a definition, I suppose moderation in this context would be the number of times you can eat a low-quality food while still meeting your healthy eating goals. For some people that would be one waffle with syrup and butter every couple of months. For others, it would be once a week. For some, virtually never.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Moderation...for me, it's allowing myself 10% of my meals in a week to be something that I don't normally eat in the course of my week. That would be having the tempura at my sushi place, or going for pizza night with friends for example. If its during a holiday season, I look at what my social obligations are over the month, see how that relates to my 10% and plan accordingly.

I normally make a point of making my 'cheats' things that are done outside the house, so I don't have these things hanging around the house to derail me later. That's what works for me - for others it can be different.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    moderation to me is eat until I am full, not stuffed! Just because it tastes good it doesn't mean I need to eat it all
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    these are all good ideas :) for me it's been learning to stick to one serving, especially when it comes to chocolates, pizza and things like that. There are weeks where I've been having a little chocolate a few times a week and others maybe just the once but the idea to sticking to one serving.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    With the exception of transfats, I don't classify foods as good and bad in my mind. I think of them more as calories dense or not and as macronutrients. I set my eating goals and manage what I eat to hit them. No food is off limits within my goals. I just don't believe in the whole good foods, bad foods thing. I think it creates the wrong mentality for long term success.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    I eat a 150 calorie ice cream sandwich almost every night. My average daily consumption after excercise calories is like 2700-2800.

Typically that sandwich is the only crap (not a good fat, nutrient dense carb or protein) I eat all day.

That to me is moderation.