Who knew "aerobics" aren't the best for cardio?

Options
Wow, the things I am learning are blowing my mind! I didn't think much about the first place I read about this, even though the cardiologist that first used the term "aerobics" says he was wrong now. I don't know how many here know about this but I am seriously considering dropping the aerobics in exchange for all weight-training instead which "I hear" is far more effective.

Like to open this up and hear what people have to say about it. My first source in finding out was the book by Mark Lauren, instructor for special ops in the military. I figured he knew what he was talking about, but I still googled some other sources. Maybe I've missed something around here, I usually miss a lot of things:laugh: but aren't an awful lot of people doing aerobics of some sort? Eliptical trainers, treadmills, jogging, walking(my fave)?

What say you guys? I am way curious if what I've been reading is all wrong or if an awful lot of people are buying into yet another scam?

Denise:drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to be a cardio junkie, but I hated it. I hate endurance exercises, loathe them.

I switched to weight training and found that I lost weight more quickly, my body composition changed drastically (I wasn't skinny fat anymore), and I just felt better! I enjoy weight training work outs much more as well. (I lost 48 lbs back in 2010, just had a baby Dec 30th and have lost 48 of the 60 lbs I gained and working to lose another 40 ish)

I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program right now, the guy that writes the book is against doing hours of cardio, he says there is much more benefit for women who lift heavy.

I'm a total weight lifting advocate! I think it is fantastic :)
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have been recommended by several people who really know what they are talking about to do some weight training in order to lose weight and tone up. One is my brother who has been into it for years and is a dietician. Another by a good friend who is a beach body coach. We've been friends since high school, and went to college together, also. Both say the same pretty much. It's a good idea!! I have started to dig out the weights to try out.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Most balanced exercise programs still call for an aerobic exercise component along with a strength training program tailored to the individual's goals. Some people add interval training to their aerobics. Running, biking, the elliptical, etc., are still fine exercises if you can perform the activity at an elevated heart rate.

I've seen programs that call for radically reduced aerobics, but they're usually for people who are not trying to lose weight.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear this because with what I have read lately online and off, I am totally inclined to replace those hour long walks or bikerides with weight training;)

I used to be a cardio junkie, but I hated it. I hate endurance exercises, loathe them.

I switched to weight training and found that I lost weight more quickly, my body composition changed drastically (I wasn't skinny fat anymore), and I just felt better! I enjoy weight training work outs much more as well. (I lost 48 lbs back in 2010, just had a baby Dec 30th and have lost 48 of the 60 lbs I gained and working to lose another 40 ish)

I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program right now, the guy that writes the book is against doing hours of cardio, he says there is much more benefit for women who lift heavy.

I'm a total weight lifting advocate! I think it is fantastic :)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    That's great Shelli, I just started that group so please feel welcome to join or stop in for a read. I am going to try a weight program that is just about using my own body-weight. I don't have weights or a gym membership and with this, I don't think I'll need one! We hope;)

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I have been recommended by several people who really know what they are talking about to do some weight training in order to lose weight and tone up. One is my brother who has been into it for years and is a dietician. Another by a good friend who is a beach body coach. We've been friends since high school, and went to college together, also. Both say the same pretty much. It's a good idea!! I have started to dig out the weights to try out.
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear this because with what I have read lately online and off, I am totally inclined to replace those hour long walks or bikerides with weight training;)

I hated running on the treadmill, then moving to the elliptical, then maybe the bike. I was losing weight but I stalled often despite eating well. It also took up so much time!

Started weight training and I was in and out so quickly, I loved it. I felt like I got more accomplished in little time. When I had a gym membership I would walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes to get my heart rate up before lifting, and just to warm up in general. The program is 3 days a week, so any exercise in between is just bonus/optional. I have so much energy from the weight lifting I've actually been walking/running and enjoying it now.

Another thing is women fear gaining mass amounts of muscle, but that is very hard to do. You actually get a lot smaller faster because of the body composition changes. At least that is what happened in my case and the cases of others I know :)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    They did a study(we all know how those are)but, the group that did the aerobic only lost no fat and the group that did only weight-training lost fat and gained muscle. Same diet etc. I don't know if that's true but I am going to keep up the research. For me, I've never liked having to exercise but if I am going to do this thing, I want to do it as right as I can get it.

Thanks for your input, I want to hear both sides always:) Denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Most balanced exercise programs still call for an aerobic exercise component along with a strength training program tailored to the individual's goals. Some people add interval training to their aerobics. Running, biking, the elliptical, etc., are still fine exercises if you can perform the activity at an elevated heart rate.

I've seen programs that call for radically reduced aerobics, but they're usually for people who are not trying to lose weight.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, the things I am learning are blowing my mind! I didn't think much about the first place I read about this, even though the cardiologist that first used the term "aerobics" says he was wrong now. I don't know how many here know about this but I am seriously considering dropping the aerobics in exchange for all weight-training instead which "I hear" is far more effective.

Like to open this up and hear what people have to say about it. My first source in finding out was the book by Mark Lauren, instructor for special ops in the military. I figured he knew what he was talking about, but I still googled some other sources. Maybe I've missed something around here, I usually miss a lot of things:laugh: but aren't an awful lot of people doing aerobics of some sort? Eliptical trainers, treadmills, jogging, walking(my fave)?

What say you guys? I am way curious if what I've been reading is all wrong or if an awful lot of people are buying into yet another scam?

I am LOL (with you, and at myself) after reading this.

I have lived a very sedentary life, until the past few years when I started weight lifting and really really REALLY love it. Since everyone says running, bicycling, and so on is so good for us, I keep trying to work these activities into my routine but nothing ever "sticks". Weight lifting, on the other hand, gives me the strength and youthful feeling that I love. (I'm not so sure about weight loss; I was lifting weights while I was gaining, too.)

Anyway, here I am trying SO hard to find something else that I like and can stick with. I have worked with my Schwinn exercycle and with the Concept2 rowing machine at my gym. Lately I have been trying the seated elliptical at my gym. But through all this, weight lifting sticks with me and probably will for life. The others come and go.

According to my HRM, the way I lift weights raises my heart rate just as much as riding my exercycle. So, it has to be good for me. My doctor is happy with the effect on my routine blood tests. Still, I'll keep searching for something else to add to my routine.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    WEIGHT TRAINING > CARDIO
    'nuff said
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    I think we need both cardio and strenth training. I like the cardio because it energizes me. But I know I need to do weights too because muscle burns fat.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner who also enjoys strength training. Just like I won't drop carbs or fat, I won't drop cardio OR strength training. I think there are different benefits to each type of activity. I want a strong body AND a health cardiovascular system. So, I'll stick with both forms of exercise. Now, if I could just find a love of and time for YOGA!!!
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have also been reading the benefits of lifting heavy combined with a short "HIT" or high intensity cardio workout. A circuit of heavy lifting followed by 20 minutes of very intense cardio is better than a long session of just light to moderate cardio.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on 1. What you enjoy and will stick with and 2. What kind of goals you have.

there are many cardio lovers here and many lifting lovers here-both work-just depends on what each person hopes to achieve.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some kettlebell routines. You get strong and toned from moving the weight and get the heart rate up there as well. It is more like a combination of the two.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm glad you posted this because I spoke with a trainer at my gym today, and of course, he wants me to sign up for 2 sessions at $124. I don't have that to get this information.

Here is what I'm doing right now: 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical, bike, etc) and really getting my heart rate up. Then I do 30 minutes of heavy lifting. And for me, heavy lifting is going as heavy as I can on a machine or free weights, for a minimum of 8 reps, and I do about 3-4 sets.

I only have about an hour a day to spend at the gym because of my kids, and well, life.

The trainer said I need to cut out my cardio and lift more, and lift heavier, and do less reps, and more sets.

I love the endurance I have now. But I have also stopped seeing results. So my questions:

1) how long should I lift for daily (assuming I'm working different muscles every day)?
    2) how long should I spend on a cardio machine?
    3) Is the trainer right? Should I be lifting heavier, less reps (between4-6) with more sets (he mentioned up to 12 sets).

I'd appreciate the help. It would save me $124.00. :smile:
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love strength training and prefer that over cardio.

That said, I still do it, just not hours per week. I'd much prefer to take the dog for a long walk/jog or do 15 mins of high interval training. I'm a bit obsessed with the Zombies, run! app for the phone at the moment :)

Best of luck with your journey
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, cardio is therapy. i love long walks, steady jogs and brisk runs. it keeps me sane. i will say that when i added strength training this year, i toned up A LOT!!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I hear you!! I have always been pushing myself to walk, even after what I am sure is no more than an overuse issue. The more I read the more I see how the cardio will shine through in weight training, the fat will come off if I eat the right foods and portions and push myself as hard as I can but not so hard I break myself, :laugh: The weight-training is going to be way more challenging(fun)than I've ever found aerobic activities to be.

Keep up the great work!! And we can both watch for possible ways our diet might need work as well as do some variations on our weight-training. That's what I hear gets the metabolism working is having a wide variety. I am using bodyweight only as I don't want to join a gym or buy weights. I found out how to sort of, return to the old ways and just use bodyweight to build muscle and burn fat so I am trying that out;)

denise
    My ticker shows the name of the group I started this a.m. Drop in if you want to check it out, be awesome to have you;)
    I am LOL (with you, and at myself) after reading this.

I have lived a very sedentary life, until the past few years when I started weight lifting and really really REALLY love it. Since everyone says running, bicycling, and so on is so good for us, I keep trying to work these activities into my routine but nothing ever "sticks". Weight lifting, on the other hand, gives me the strength and youthful feeling that I love. (I'm not so sure about weight loss; I was lifting weights while I was gaining, too.)

Anyway, here I am trying SO hard to find something else that I like and can stick with. I have worked with my Schwinn exercycle and with the Concept2 rowing machine at my gym. Lately I have been trying the seated elliptical at my gym. But through all this, weight lifting sticks with me and probably will for life. The others come and go.

According to my HRM, the way I lift weights raises my heart rate just as much as riding my exercycle. So, it has to be good for me. My doctor is happy with the effect on my routine blood tests. Still, I'll keep searching for something else to add to my routine.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh I won't give up my activities like walks/hiking/kayaking but I just won't count them as "workouts". Those are the things I love to do in my free time, although, I think I am already loving my weight training:)
    in my opinion, cardio is therapy. i love long walks, steady jogs and brisk runs. it keeps me sane. i will say that when i added strength training this year, i toned up A LOT!!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thanks Jess, yes, I do love going out for walks or hikes and especially love kayaking. I want to take my time and do my photography(amateur at best)and not worry about how many calories I might burn;)

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I love strength training and prefer that over cardio.

That said, I still do it, just not hours per week. I'd much prefer to take the dog for a long walk/jog or do 15 mins of high interval training. I'm a bit obsessed with the Zombies, run! app for the phone at the moment :)

Best of luck with your journey